Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS/Traction light on corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS/Traction light on corvette

My uncle called me from Canada with an issue on his corvette. i dont know much about what he is having a problem with. he is saying that when he turns the car on the ABS/Tranction control light is coming on and is not going away. he doesn't have any problems with braking or anything. i know there is a sensor on the rear end of camaros for abs and all that but not sure about corvette, would this issue be related to the sensor or maybe pcm/bcM?

thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming this is a C5 your referencing, however correct me if my assumption is incorrect. By your description, I've usually traced these problems to the EBCM, the wheel hub/sensors, and their respective cables and connectors.

Here's what I've discovered from several C5's:

EBCM: You can try to reset this. Be aware that these have had a history of going bad and will be very expensive if replaced with a brand new one. If in need of replacement, consider locating a working used part or one that's properly rebuilt (rare and still costly if a rebuild is opted for).

Wheel hub/sensor: These could be traced in order to see if one is correctly tracking the wheel speed properly or is returning any type of signal along the cables. If not, it's probably best to have them replaced. These aren't cheap either.

Cables: inspect for any wear on the outer protective sleeves. Depending on wear, they either have to be repaired or possibly replaced. Also inspect for any hanging cables and replace any retention clips.

EDIT: I just remembered if outer sleeves are worn, you might want to visibly check the wires to see they too are worn and/or disconnected. If not, then wires should be checked to see if their Voltage readings are correct. If any of the relevant wires are indeed showing any high impedance, the they'll either have to be replaced (sometimes nearly impossible, and if they do, they'll probably be unreliable or not fix the problem at all), or dare I say, replace the cable assembly (again, expensive part with possible intensive labour).

With all of this stated, if your uncle has access to a generic OBD-II sensor, then this is a place to start. If there are any error codes, record them and then trace appropraitely. My preference is to use a Tech2, so depending on what your uncle does or who he knows, this may prove difficult to have access to.

One more note that I'd like to suggest is to reinspect the brake fluid and check for any possbile leaks or mess around the above components. Also as a friendly reminder, definitely check all cable connectors.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 08-31-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added details pertaining to cables
Old 08-31-2009, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for looking out, and yes its a 2000 c5. ill send him the info. foxxtron is the man. haha.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I thank you as well for being objective. Just as a reminder it could always be something else, however your description of what's going wrong appears to be like the 22 other C5's that I dealt with.

Oh, and to get an idea of how much those EBCM's can run? The part as is brand new is something like 1600 USD MSRP. Ones that I found used but in excellent shape and perfect working condition went anywhere from 5 USD to 80 USD. I hope this part doesn't need replacement, but I just remembered those details.

EDIT: refer to my previous for some added details.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 08-31-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: refering to previous post.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

alright, well ill let him know. he said he was calling around up there and they were quoting him 6k for the repair! so im sure he will try anything.

Quick Reply: ABS/Traction light on corvette