General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possibly a motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly a motor mount?

Recently had my car tuned and it runs spectacular now (Thanks to Trent)! So good in fact that I tore both of the rear exhaust hooks out
Anyhow I got them fixed, but now when I shift hard from 1-2 or 2-3 the car feels like something shifting wrong and almost sounds and feels like a misfire however Im almost certain it is the motor mounts. I have almost 115k on this car and they are the stock rubber ones.

Can motor mounts cause this? The car shifts great when Im just cruising and I even nailed it in 3rd at about 65 and a hard shift into 4th at about 90 and it felt great ! Only seems to happen on hard torquey(heh that isnt a word I know!) launches/shifts.

If it happens to be the motor mounts being shoddy the question arises... solid or poly? Vibration in the cabin means nada to me, I can handle that. Any other pros/cons?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey you and a friend can check motor mounts easy. pop the hood. lock the e brake....start the car and act like your going to to a brakestand, stomp the brakes and hold them while mashing the gas. the motor should twist a LITTLE, to allow for vibration damping. but if it looks like its trying to jump out of the car, its a motor mount...otherwise they're good.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get polys. at least your stock mounts lasted to 115k, mine wernt so lucky
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i doubt your motor mounts would cause something that severe, but it would be a good idea to change them out anyways