Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Which Clutch - SPEC, RAM, Monster??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Clutch - SPEC, RAM, Monster??

So heres what I am chosing from unless someone has some other better Clutch to recommend. Im looking to make ~750hp/tq at the crank eventually but I need help chosing a STOUT Clutch. Should I go with Monster, SPEC, or RAM clutches?? Prefer Twin-Disc or Dual Disc Clutches.
Also I would like to spend under $1300 on the clutch. And I need it now!

Whose done what Im starting to do and had good experiences with their Clutches and the Companies they bought from?

Appreciate ANY Help, thnx
Old 08-31-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

I have the monster 3.5, only good for 700, but dealing with the company was great. Answered the phone and my questions, everything got there when they said it would. Plus you get the warranty.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Teching In

I had a spec stage 5.Good for what ever you throw at it.I asked the tech guy about break in.He just laughed his *** off.He said you can install the clutch 1st time out u can spray the world at it.

Best ****** clutch ever as long as your slave doesnt **** all over it.

my .2
Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cobra R
I have the monster 3.5, only good for 700, but dealing with the company was great. Answered the phone and my questions, everything got there when they said it would. Plus you get the warranty.

yeah, good for 700HP @ tires, so will handle 750 FWHP.

The Level 3 is by far and away our most popular with well over a 1000 units out in cars giving us feedback every day.

If you need prices, hop on my link below (and going with a Level 3, gonna be WAY under your goal of $1300)
Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

The Spec 3+ or 4+ both work great. Im making over 600 at the flywheel and then I throw a 200 shot at it, and it holds perfectly! Not to mention that they have great customer service. I was running the 3+ for about 2 years, and just now upgraded to the 4+.
Check out some of my vids and see for yourself.

My Ws6
Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

Stage 3+ all day long. This kit is extremely drivable and provides more than enough torque capability. You could get this kit and either our steel or aluminum flywheel for well under your budget cap. Give me a shout and I will be happy to discuss options with you. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Jeremy,

A local shop recommended a spec 3+ for my car. I currently have a spec steel flywheel installed, do you think there would be any issues resurfacing it?

Thanks

Chuck
Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Teching In

why do u need to resurface it?

does it have heat spots,warp andy gouges?

U should be fine
Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gen414
yeah, good for 700HP @ tires, so will handle 750 FWHP.

The Level 3 is by far and away our most popular with well over a 1000 units out in cars giving us feedback every day.

If you need prices, hop on my link below (and going with a Level 3, gonna be WAY under your goal of $1300)
+10000 to the monster, got mine in a couple weeks ago (level 3 with the chromemoly flywheel) and just finished my break in miles. I love the quick reving with the lightweight flywheel. No track time yet, but ive put it through a couple high rev hard shifts on the spray and I was like... holy ****!!! This thing really bites hard. Im gonna have to start saving for a rearend really soon, It has really great drivability and the price is really nice, comes with a flywheel too
Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven just about every brand of clutch manufacture out there for the LS engines over the last 10 or 11 years, and the Monster Level III, IMO is by FAR the best single disk clutch I've encountered. Great grip and great drivability. If and when I ever need to step up to something stronger, it will most likely be another Monster clutch.

Mike
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Chuck, I strongly suggest resurfacing the flywheel if it has been used. I know that there are those that don't necessarily beleive that resurfacing is needed, but because friction is a primary component of how a clutch functions the flywheel will have wear and thus will not be flat. You are welcome to put a straight-edge on the flywheel surface to check this for youself.

As for the 3+ it is a great setup for most folks with high-torque numbers and a desire for daily drivability. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

i daily drive my SPEC 4....with a light alum flywheel.

its a little tricky around town at low speeds, but some of that is still in the tune.

revs and grips great!!

only issue i have is that it slowly developed a "cold squeal" when slipping in first gear (parking lots...etc). its a high pitched squeal that started at about 5000 miles, and has gotten worse.
mostly goes away after a few engagements, unless you're really slipping the clutch at slow speeds.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
+10000 to the monster, got mine in a couple weeks ago (level 3 with the chromemoly flywheel) and just finished my break in miles. I love the quick reving with the lightweight flywheel. No track time yet, but ive put it through a couple high rev hard shifts on the spray and I was like... holy ****!!! This thing really bites hard. Im gonna have to start saving for a rearend really soon, It has really great drivability and the price is really nice, comes with a flywheel too
Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I've driven just about every brand of clutch manufacture out there for the LS engines over the last 10 or 11 years, and the Monster Level III, IMO is by FAR the best single disk clutch I've encountered. Great grip and great drivability. If and when I ever need to step up to something stronger, it will most likely be another Monster clutch.

Mike

Thanks guys, glad you are liking your setup's! keep the feedback coming!

To OP, if you have any questions concerning a clutch, you can give me a call/pm/email, and will be happy to get ya taken care of!

Quick Reply: Which Clutch - SPEC, RAM, Monster??