Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbed ls1 advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbed ls1 advice

I am looking for some advice on my combo motor is a stock in the process of being rebuilt 00 vette motor. Going to use stock heads for now. I got a good deal in a performer rpm carb intake and was planning a 650dp and 1 3/4 long tubes. I have no clue on the cam wheather I end up with a off the shelf or a custom ground cam. My power goal is 400rwhp through a TKO 600 -> 8.8 . I want to run a carb for simplicity but if I need to convert it to efi to reach my power goal I will. I guess I am basicaly asking if the carb setup is right for me?

(sorry for the bad gramer on my I phone)
Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Launching!

It's pointless to go backward to a carb set-up, unless you just like the look. The PCM-controlled engine is easier to set-up, tune, modify, etc. You only need switched and ignition power, and the PCM can control your fan(s), speedo, tach and A/C if present. At the end of the day, PCM control will cost considerably less.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with a custom grind cam. I've never used that intake, but I bet it'll work just fine for you. I think I remember a guy saying he made good power with the RPM intake on a 6.0L...so your 5.7 should be pretty similar. There's nothing wrong with going carb, I think you'll hit your goal easy. Check out that huge carb thread here in the conversion section. Then PM any of the guys running a setup similar to what you want to do.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steve VanS
It's pointless to go backward to a carb set-up, unless you just like the look. The PCM-controlled engine is easier to set-up, tune, modify, etc. You only need switched and ignition power, and the PCM can control your fan(s), speedo, tach and A/C if present. At the end of the day, PCM control will cost considerably less.

then I have to get a harness injectors intake TB MAF fuel rails PCM I think all of that stuff will add up fast. I am not scared of carbs there just isnt much info out there on carbed ls1's compared to a SBC or SBF ETC..
Old 09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Your full of chit
Carbs for the win
Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I would bet you will get more power out of a carbed setup. I believe the single plane carb manifolds out there make more power than any of the available LS1 EFI manifolds. If you don't have any of the EFI parts anyway, I would definitely head the carb direction. It is much more simple and the tuning would be easier too in my opinion. A good working carb is as easy as it gets to tune!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

My carb set up was a piece of cake to set up on my 6.0! Msd set up comes with everything you need & can put it on a laptop to final tune with the curves they give you, it fired right up on first try! If you want fuel economy go with fuel injection, if not go carbed! On my chevy 2 in going fuelie. Depends what you want, they both easy to set up.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i agree and disagree, he will not be able to tune his pcm without the hptuners, use correct injectors, and for his desired power levels needs min. of 30lb'ers, needs the hi psi pump,fpr,fuel rails, pcm sensors, maf.etc. although the pcm controlled engine has its benefits.

the carb is alot easier to tune and the carb is all inclusive, low pressure system is easier to plumb and generally lower priced. etc.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Does any one have any input on a cam? who to go to for a custom ground?

Last edited by GPSMatt; 09-02-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrick G
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

my stock ls1 with a 220/220 111lsa cam and a demon 750 carb made 405bhp hubs on a dynopack. GM performance intake and msd 6010 ignition box with 29deg max advance after 3000rpm. 6500rpm rev limit, uprated pushrods and valve springs. was very easy to set up and tune. i do have proper headers and a twin free flow 3" exhaust setup
Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Wow that is pretty inspiring that's good power.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GPSMatt
I am looking for some advice on my combo motor is a stock in the process of being rebuilt 00 vette motor. Going to use stock heads for now. I got a good deal in a performer rpm carb intake and was planning a 650dp and 1 3/4 long tubes. I have no clue on the cam wheather I end up with a off the shelf or a custom ground cam. My power goal is 400rwhp through a TKO 600 -> 8.8 . I want to run a carb for simplicity but if I need to convert it to efi to reach my power goal I will. I guess I am basicaly asking if the carb setup is right for me?

(sorry for the bad gramer on my I phone)
Carbs are fun!! Stay with the carb. I think you should probably move up to a 750 CFM though. I really don't think a 650 will meet your needs, especially if you intend to race it. Just my .02 cents worth. As for the cam, if you go with off the shelf, I would stay away from the LS1 cams advertised for FI engines. In my opinion, they have too wide lobe centers for a carbed engine. I would run something in the 108-110 lobe center range. A guy on here , screen name *billyflantos * ran a 110 cam in a pretty much stock carb'ed 6.0- 3200lb car and went 6.70's in the eighth. Again, just my opinion. I'm sure there are many others who have done aswell or even better. Ron
Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Yeah I just bought a BG 750 Speed demon off a member here NemeSS. I just got cold feet i guess from the lack of info on the net
Old 09-04-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GPSMatt
Yeah I just bought a BG 750 Speed demon off a member here NemeSS. I just got cold feet i guess from the lack of info on the net
thanks, im sending out today,
look at the Thunder Racing TREX. it is very aggressive, has wat your looking for and comes on a 110 lsa.
very lopey, pulls hard, sounds mean wot
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

i went for the edelbrock (branded) cam/intake kit (long story never got the edelbrock inlet manifold after waiting 6 months) but the cam was supposed to be set up for carb applications, 220/220 and 111lsa. i ended up using the GM performance intake as it was available a lot easier at the time. driveability is great, altho cold start isnt that good with no choke, but its a track car and i dont drive it in winter. once warmed up its perfect!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

i went with a carb, i am computer stupid, so this was easier for me
i use the vic jr intake, had some cracking issues on the bottom of the runners,
had to have them welded up-sent Edelbrock some pics, they never answered
i had bought some intake seals from NAPA,
their orange in color, didnt last-bought the gray ones from GN, twice the cost, but worth it
some of the carbs seem to prefer the green pump cams, need a more agressive shot of fuel
i run a Procharger, so it was easier to dial in the carb and timing myself