Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Lightweight 9", possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight 9", possible?

My goal is to make a road racing/DD. I have a cam going in tomorrow and was concerned about the 10 bolt holding up. I'm already doing 1 wheel burnouts so I know the 10bolt will go soon, especially with my 6 puck ceramic clutch.

I want my 9" to be around the same weight as a 10bolt. I know this can be done as there are plenty of them around. I am on budget and won't spend 2700 for a complete rear end, too expensive in my book.

For the third member, I'll be using one out of a junkyard. I found one that just needs new gears and to be sandblasted. N case too, I'll probably replace the differential too.

As far as the housing goes, this is where the fun comes into play. I've been looking at components to use from Currie Enterprises. They sell many lightweight components that will play a big factor in saving weight. They offer a track9 center that weighs in at 18.8lbs, I don't know if this will reduce structural integrity or not, but I would like some peoples input on this. I figure I can get a lightweight center, axles tubes cut to length, and weld on various other things to make it work in an F-body.

Lightweight 18.8lbs center housing

axles tubes

The biggest challenge I see in going this route is fabricating a torque arm mount. I heard currie sells a mount but I'm not sure yet. Plus a PH bar bracket, spring plates, control arm brackets, etc.

There's a couple people over on fraxx that have really gone into detail with their 9"s, and I'd like to do the same.

Any input on this would be appreciated, this is still my DD and unsprung weight added to it is a big no-no. I'm also on budget, as I will be doing a lot of the work, except for the torque arm bracket part.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have it pretty well mapped out with your intentions.

Quick Performance sells just the torque arm mounts for custom applications. Contact them directly or search for them on eBay.

Lightweight components will go a long way toward reducing the weight of the rearend. Also, an old drag race trick is to narrow the housing/axle width and go with a more aggressive backspacing (deeper outside lip) on the wheel.

Mike
Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

I can't find anything on their site or their ebay store for the torque arm mount.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We can get a setup that is lighter than the 10 bolt. Give us a call.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for what your going to pay to have one fabricated from all the parts you buy it would be cheaper and 30 times quicker to buy one preassembled. if you had the ability to build it yourself i would say give it a shot...but in your case just buy one.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

by the way you will need some sort of a jig or someone that does in order to get all the brackets where they belong and all the angles correct. this isnt something you should be doing in the garage. it could cause major problems down the road...or immediately for that matter.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the normal outer 9 inch bearings aren't recommended for road race. they make a tapered bearing kit for that
Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

MWC 9" is rather lightweight IMO.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MWC can get u one lighter than the 10 bolt...
Love mine and have had 0 issues.