Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suggested rear springs for drag setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Suggested rear springs for drag setup?

Hey guys, I'm looking to go a little different direction with the car and need some advice. I currently have stock shocks with Strano springs and the car handles superb on the street and I love it but now I'm looking for a more drag oriented setup. I have decided on Strange front and rear drag shocks. I will run Strange springs up front so that leaves me with what to run out back?

I was thinking of cutting a coil or two off my 1LE springs and running those. What would be the best direction to take, the 1LE's? V-6 springs? stock LS1 springs? something else?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the strano springs feel like they dont compress enough? Just curious, i just ordered a set of them.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea i heard that cutting a half a coil to a coil off the stock spring with a good shock is good for a drag setup. Not sure which would be better tho as far as choosing between your 1LE, V-6 springs, or stock LS1's. I just cut my stock spring half a coil
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stock v-8 springs work great for drag racing. If you want to lower the car slightly just do the heater hose mod ....
Old 09-02-2009, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedSmokey
Do the strano springs feel like they dont compress enough? Just curious, i just ordered a set of them.
No they feel great, people who watch me say the car launches really good and the car appears to be transferring weight pretty good. I cut 1.65 60's with them so I don't think they are hurting me but I figured I could offset some of the cost of the shocks if I sold my Stranos and just stuck some stockers on the back.

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
The stock v-8 springs work great for drag racing. If you want to lower the car slightly just do the heater hose mod ....
Good idea I totally forgot about doing that. That combined with cutting a coil or so and running a 26" tire should look pretty decent. I took some weight out of the back of the car and even with the Strano's I can fit almost 4 of my skinny fingers between the tire and the fender with stock diameter tires With 26" tires it looks really good though.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^He didn't say anything about cutting a coil. You have 2 choices here. Are you looking for a drag performing setup or something that is going to look good going down the road? Cutting a coil is doing nothing good for the drag setup you posted about.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
^^^He didn't say anything about cutting a coil. You have 2 choices here. Are you looking for a drag performing setup or something that is going to look good going down the road? Cutting a coil is doing nothing good for the drag setup you posted about.
I suppose that's what I need to decide. It's a street/strip car but I think I'll go the drag performing route since it's not a DD. I would just hate to have the thing look like a 4x4 out back.

Is there a lowering spring available that would still perform very well in the back with some Strange shocks? I've done some searching and seems like the fastest guys are running the stock rears but some people are running substantially faster than I with lowering springs.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

I was in your shoes 2 months ago and saw the same trend. I took my Hypercoils out and put the stockers back in without the isolator and no it does not look as good as it did but I am going to the track not the car show.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Either way you want the car as level as possible from front to rear. Most can get it somewhere around 27 1/2 to 28 from the ground to the top of the wheel opening.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:15 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I noticed that you are wondering what spring to use for a drag racing set up! We like mentioned above go with a stock spring with the heater hose mod. And go with a good adjustable rear shock to help with the weight transfer. Most racers go with a coil over set in the front with a 275lb spring. Below is a link to show you what I am talking about.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...8r0bj8p0ekmb47

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Either way you want the car as level as possible from front to rear. Most can get it somewhere around 27 1/2 to 28 from the ground to the top of the wheel opening.
Thanks for the info, I would have set the car up with a more raked look if you didn't say that. Shows how much I know lol.

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
I noticed that you are wondering what spring to use for a drag racing set up! We like mentioned above go with a stock spring with the heater hose mod. And go with a good adjustable rear shock to help with the weight transfer. Most racers go with a coil over set in the front with a 275lb spring. Below is a link to show you what I am talking about.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...8r0bj8p0ekmb47

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
I'm not so sure I want to go with QA1's, seems like everybody prefers the Stranges over them but I'm not stuck 100% on the Stranges so I could be persuaded. What front spring would you recommend I go with? I was thinking the 300lb. since the car will be a street/strip car?

I have pretty much every suspension piece you guys make on my car but it's all non-adjustable I didn't do my research a couple years ago unfortunately so I want to sell what I have and start over. Anyways, I go to Penn State which I think is close by so one time I will have to stop by the shop and have you guys help me in selecting some new pieces.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Thanks for the info, I would have set the car up with a more raked look if you didn't say that. Shows how much I know lol.

I'm not so sure I want to go with QA1's, seems like everybody prefers the Stranges over them but I'm not stuck 100% on the Stranges so I could be persuaded. What front spring would you recommend I go with? I was thinking the 300lb. since the car will be a street/strip car?

I have pretty much every suspension piece you guys make on my car but it's all non-adjustable I didn't do my research a couple years ago unfortunately so I want to sell what I have and start over. Anyways, I go to Penn State which I think is close by so one time I will have to stop by the shop and have you guys help me in selecting some new pieces.
Hello
Thanks for getting back to me. Great to hear that you are using our parts. I would highly recommend going with a 300lb front spring. It will still give you great handling and weight transfer. And yes our facility is about 40 minutes away from State College. And feel free to stop by and check out the show room. We will be more than glad to help with recommendations with the parts that you are interested in. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

You could always look into a rear coil over setup also.

I was looking into that but decided to stick with the stockers for now.

~Jim~
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Strange shocks FWIW over the QA1's
Old 09-13-2009, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

So, I just ordered BMR lowering springs today. Is this saying my drag times will be reduced? i have adjustable lca's, as well as lca relos,PHB. BMR? Should I cancel the order, if I run 1\4 mile?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blevinator
So, I just ordered BMR lowering springs today. Is this saying my drag times will be reduced? i have adjustable lca's, as well as lca relos,PHB. BMR? Should I cancel the order, if I run 1\4 mile?
I wouldn't worry about it. If it's not a drag car or a car looking for every last bit of the E.T. I wouldn't even let it bother you. Many people have run real fast with lowering springs and although they aren't necessarily optimal for drag racing they don't seem to hurt people too bad when they have LCA Relocation Brackets and whatnot like you do.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just ordered the midwest fabbed 9" with all suspension components and strange single adj shocks and hypercoil coilover springs for all 4 corners. should allow me to adjust the ride height to whatever i want yet still hook well. installing the rear and all parts this weekend...we'll see...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rsodeputy61
i just ordered the midwest fabbed 9" with all suspension components and strange single adj shocks and hypercoil coilover springs for all 4 corners. should allow me to adjust the ride height to whatever i want yet still hook well. installing the rear and all parts this weekend...we'll see...
Nice choice. I just finished installing my MWC 9inch yesterday. It's a real slick setup.

~Jim~
Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not bid on a pair of V6 springs for the rear and before you go to the track, jus' swap them in. After your done and come home, swap the Strano's in.

This is what I'm plannin' on doing when I go to the track.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Why not bid on a pair of V6 springs for the rear and before you go to the track, jus' swap them in. After your done and come home, swap the Strano's in.

This is what I'm plannin' on doing when I go to the track.
That's a good idea, it's easy enough to swap and why didnt I think of that lol. I have some 1LE's sitting in my shed so looks like thats what I'll do, thanks.

Quick Reply: Suggested rear springs for drag setup?