Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

DIY hardlines.... teach me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default DIY hardlines.... teach me.

Looking at my engine bay,...to me,... all I see is vacuum lines. I am gonna be putting everything back together, and I would really like to do all my wastegate/bov/boost controller lines in hard lines. From the little that I know about it, doing it in stainless, is very expensive. I can't do very expensive. So I figured I could use aluminum, and probably anodize the lines when done.

Has anyone done this themselves? Any recommendations as to a location of thin walled, bendable tubing? Called a couple of spots, no joy. Idea's, thoughts? I need to do this to clean everything up,... cause it's starting to look sloppy(in my eyes).

Thanks fella's.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any pics of under that hood? I personally haven't seen anybody converted those into hard lines, I could see those getting to be a real PITA afterawhile, co'z you wouldn't be able to move them around as easily if you need to work on certain things under the hood. I'm sure that you could just always try to re-configure, re-route most of those vacuum lines to clean them up. A lot of it depends on how and where you run those hoses. But then again, it's your car. So, it's your call.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
Do you have any pics of under that hood? I personally haven't seen anybody converted those into hard lines, I could see those getting to be a real PITA afterawhile, co'z you wouldn't be able to move them around as easily if you need to work on certain things under the hood. I'm sure that you could just always try to re-configure, re-route most of those vacuum lines to clean them up. A lot of it depends on how and where you run those hoses. But then again, it's your car. So, it's your call.
I thought about that but, I was hoping to do it in a way where I could work with it,... maybe possibly user friendly. It isn't ever going to be a show car but, it would be nice if this was the last motor setup I do in the car. I just want it cleaner, thats all.

This is an old pic, one that the car was just getting started with the new setup,.. a million things have changed since then,.... but this should give you an idea. Look at the drivers side. Again, this was to get the car running, so it actually is neater now but,..agian, the idea. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of equipment jammed into a tight space. It's amazing that it fits!

It actually looks like it works really well... and is engineered well...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember following that build... It is well fabricated, no doubt. Personally I wouldn't bother with hardlines but like he said it's your car.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Hard lines can be very easy to do inexpensively. I did mine, and did it cheap. Up here, we have a Parker Store, sells Parker fittings, tubing and such. Steel tubing can be had for pennies/foot. Steel fittings are a buck or two each. All the tools you need here, --> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-CSUM2401/

I built the lines pictured below, and a bunch you can't see, including the tools for about $60. I polished the steel lined with some mothers, then sprayed a quick coat of clear on them.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard lines do look better but there is no way that they aren't going to be a pain in the ***. Specially with the limited amount of room that you already have. Have you considered vacuum manifolds to clean up the tubing alittle?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

OP- off topic, but damn, that is one sick setup, any pics of the rest of the car. and plus a bazillion on hard lines. they look much better, and way cleaner!!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=V-seriesTech;12167605]I thought about that but, I was hoping to do it in a way where I could work with it,... maybe possibly user friendly. It isn't ever going to be a show car but, it would be nice if this was the last motor setup I do in the car. I just want it cleaner, thats all.

Hahaha! Now, that's funny! Well, I hope I'm wrong, but with that kind of a wicked set-up you should have another new shortblock as a stand-by "WHEN" you need it, not when "IF" you need it.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ak95ta
Hard lines can be very easy to do inexpensively. I did mine, and did it cheap. Up here, we have a Parker Store, sells Parker fittings, tubing and such. Steel tubing can be had for pennies/foot. Steel fittings are a buck or two each. All the tools you need here, --> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-CSUM2401/

I built the lines pictured below, and a bunch you can't see, including the tools for about $60. I polished the steel lined with some mothers, then sprayed a quick coat of clear on them.

That looks awesome, you may be V-Series' hero once he sees this!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FastKat
Wow, that's a lot of equipment jammed into a tight space. It's amazing that it fits!

It actually looks like it works really well... and is engineered well...

Thats what she says

Originally Posted by 99bowtieZ
I remember following that build... It is well fabricated, no doubt. Personally I wouldn't bother with hardlines but like he said it's your car.
werd. Part 2,700 of the build coming up.

Dude,.. you the man. Now I need to find a "parker store"

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Hard lines do look better but there is no way that they aren't going to be a pain in the ***. Specially with the limited amount of room that you already have. Have you considered vacuum manifolds to clean up the tubing alittle?
F my life and it being a pain in the ***. Everything I do, is a pain in the ***(no homo). lol.

What do you mean by vacuum manifolds Carlos? You mean like a vacuum pump setup?.. I don't think you do but,.. please explain holmes. Thanks.

Originally Posted by JAX04
OP- off topic, but damn, that is one sick setup, any pics of the rest of the car. and plus a bazillion on hard lines. they look much better, and way cleaner!!

Sure man,.. thanks man.

[QUOTE=Boo"SS"t;12168717]
Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I thought about that but, I was hoping to do it in a way where I could work with it,... maybe possibly user friendly. It isn't ever going to be a show car but, it would be nice if this was the last motor setup I do in the car. I just want it cleaner, thats all.

Hahaha! Now, that's funny! Well, I hope I'm wrong, but with that kind of a wicked set-up you should have another new shortblock as a stand-by "WHEN" you need it, not when "IF" you need it.
I hear you but,... we should be good to go for a few years with this setup. If not,... i'll go off the deep end,.. and start cappn' mother *******.

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
That looks awesome, you may be V-Series' hero once he sees this!
He is. Very happy that man posted.. gives a brotha hope.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Restricted User

Something like this. It's just a way to get a bunch of vacuum lines off a single source without having to "T" it off a 100 times.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/DSCF0034.jpg

Tried to put it up in image code but the guy's photobucket is maxed out.

Let's see if this one works.

Last edited by 98Z28CobraKiller; 09-03-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah that link don't workie
Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Restricted User

yeah that link don't workie
Check my post again. I found another pic
Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks again. I looked here...

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...ES&Wtky=TUBING

... what sizes did you use... fittings and such? I honestly don't know where to look. Thickness of tubing,.. etc. Your setup looks DOPE. Pretty much what I would like to do with my oil, BOV's, and wastegates. My car will probably loose 5 pounds if I loose all this rubber.

I do already own that exact pipe bending tool. Thanks for that link
Old 09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Restricted User

Mako hose has all that **** over here off Belvedere Rd. Right next to the U-pick junk yards.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

I used brake line to hardline the boost controller to the wastegate and intake.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check my post again. I found another pic
Sweet. I have somthing similar on my car right now, that uses a "bus" similar to someting you pictured. Came with the kit. That 0ne looks alot more medical, one my car, it's all brass fittings attached to one long tube, each hose comes out of it. So similar, not as nice but still leaves me with all the lines exiting from the BUS. Looks dope, maybe I will get something like the and have the hardlines going to that. It would look a hell of alot more finished.

Thanks. Think they're expensive? Looks like i'd say 75-150 bucks worth of parts.

Mako hose has all that **** over here off Belvedere Rd. Right next to the U-pick junk yards.
Dammit man your like an hour north of me. Either I find a place local or I take a slow ride on saturday in the pickup.

Originally Posted by gametech
I used brake line to hardline the boost controller to the wastegate and intake.
Have pic's? Thoughts? Did you have it done or was it something you banged out yourself. Would like to see if able, thanks man.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Sweet. I have somthing similar on my car right now, that uses a "bus" similar to someting you pictured. Came with the kit. That 0ne looks alot more medical, one my car, it's all brass fittings attached to one long tube, each hose comes out of it. So similar, not as nice but still leaves me with all the lines exiting from the BUS. Looks dope, maybe I will get something like the and have the hardlines going to that. It would look a hell of alot more finished.

Thanks. Think they're expensive? Looks like i'd say 75-150 bucks worth of parts.

Dammit man your like an hour north of me. Either I find a place local or I take a slow ride on saturday in the pickup.

Have pic's? Thoughts? Did you have it done or was it something you banged out yourself. Would like to see if able, thanks man.

I was using my neighbor's lift for a rear mount turbo. The exhaust cooked the rubber wastegate line, so we used old brake line he had laying around. I don't have any pics, but we just ran hard tube with a tiny piece of rubber line to make the connections. It isn't pretty, but it worked.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

cool.

Quick Reply: DIY hardlines.... teach me.