Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Help! Unloading?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension Help! Unloading?

I don't have any video of my car but from what my buddies are telling me it sounds like it is unloading a couple of feet off of the line and spinning bad on every pass. It will pull the front left tire about 4-5 inches everytime and then go up in smoke. Here is my setup.

ls2 402 471rwhp/415rwtq unlocked
built 60e / ss4000 converter
strange 12 bolt 3.73 gears and posi
qa1 single adjustable all four corners 325lb springs in front
bmr adjustable torque arm trans mounted set at -2 degrees
bmr rear sway bar not drag bar
bmr control arms and relo brackets in middle hole -2 degrees
bmr pan hard rod
stock springs in back with isolators removed
Prostars 15X3.5 and 15X8 with MT et street radials 275-50-15
bmr subframe connectors and wolfe 6 point
3600lb race weight

I have tried the front shocks on 0-6 and the rear shocks on 3-9 with no real change. The first time I went to the track I was hitting the bump stops in the back so I cut most of them off. I have tried tire pressure form 15-20psi and the relo brackets in the bottom and top hole but no real change. The car just seams like it is dead hooking and pulling the front and then it unloads the back really quick and brakes loose. Any help would be apreciated. Here is a pic of launching last week with street wheels on.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension Help!  Unloading?-car2-resized.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tighten the front shocks all the way up and see what happens...you need more rebound in the front.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

+1. The nose maybe lifting too fast then once it hits peak it falls just as fast. Stiffing up the front struts will slow down the rate of extension. That "should" get rid of the spin after the hook since you'll now have more of a constant load on the rear. But set the rear shocks to stiff. Rear shouldn't squat at all.

EDIT: I would set the front on full loose make a pass. Then go 1 click stiffer and make a pass. Keep going stiffer until the hook n spin goes away.

-Mark
Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You really need a 275/60 tire, the 275/50 probably isn't enough tire for your power level.

That would be my first reccommendation, and if you are running at a track that's less then perfect prep, ditch the radial and put a 28x10 slick on the car. That will most likly solve 90% of your problems.

As for shocks settings, I'd put the rears on 5 or 6 to start and the front on 3.

Adjust the ride height so there's only about a 1/2 inch difference in the distance thru the center of the front wheel to the edge of the fender compared to the same measurment on the rear. It's not scaling the car, but that will get you in the right ballpark with a 4th gen fbody to where you want it.

Judging from the picture, you definately need a real drag bar on the car. The thign is rolling over like crazy. If you can't live with that due to alot of street use, put at least an airbag in teh right rear, the car rolling over like that will cause all kinds of problems that you don't need. Wolfe bar, weld it on and be done with it IMO, the bmr, spohn also work.... but the wolfe to me is just a better race piece. Note, there's one on my car and you can just barely see that in the sig pic. When setting the rear bar, get in the car with both side links the same lenth. Get in the car, have your buddy unhook the right side link, and just adjust it so the bolt will line up with no bind going thru the tabs on the rear. That will be a good starting point to getting the car to leave level.

Try that and see what that gets you.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did level the car out before I took it out the last time and that did seem to help a little. I just bought the wheels and tires so I would like to stick with them if possible. The Wolfe bar seems to be a good piece but I may just try a bag first to see if it helps the problem or not. My torque arm is still mounted to the tail shaft of the tranny. Could that be hurting me? I've been debating on getting the BMR torque arm mount so I would have some adjustment on the front of the torque arm. Would that help?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Mine did same when fronts were too loose. Tighten front shocks and if you get initial wheel spin then loosen back up some. My two cents worth.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DNOBLE1
Mine did same when fronts were too loose. Tighten front shocks and if you get initial wheel spin then loosen back up some. My two cents worth.
I'm going to try 7 front and back this weekend and see if it helps. Thanks guys.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Definately get the tq arm off the tailshaft. Your tranny tailshaft, tranny mount and motor mounts will thank you.

7 all the way around might be a bit stiff... but try it. if it spins then hooks try putting them all at 6, if that doesn't fix it, front to 5, 4, etc.

You don't want the back to squat if possible, but on the tire you're trying to run, you may have to let it a little to keep it from spinning.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:15 AM
10 Second Club

Drag Bar!!!!!
Next Drag Bar!!!!!