Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Quick easy question on diff install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick easy question on diff install.

Hi guys, I've got a quick question. My mechanic is installing a new differential and gears on my car. He called me and told me that he's got the new gears on and he's put the diff in it's housing.
Here's the noob bit I'm afraid, apologies:
The paddle that slides into the centre of my old diff is different from the 'paddle' in my new one. The new one has yellow springs in it. (I really hope you know what I'm talking about!!!) The mechanic says he can't get the sprung 'paddle' in to the carrier whilst it is in the housing. And he can't fasten the bolt.
Does the sprung paddle need to be in the diff or is it just something that is in there for transit?
I hope someone can answer my question, the mechanic is coming back in the morning and hopefully he'll put me back on the road at last.
P.s. My mechanic isn't an idiot, we're in the UK and the only other Pontiac he's seen was Smokey and the Bandit!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needs to be in there. I would guess that you are talking about the s spring thingy? Tell him to place a piece of wood on it and wack it with a big hammer. It will go.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Teching In

I've got some more information to make the question more clear.
When the halfshafts are in and then the c-clips are replaced the sprung paddle won't fit in the carrier, there's a 5mm overlap from the end of the halfshafts.
Without the c-clips attached the sprung paddle will fit but then he can't get the c-clips back on.
Any ideas appreciated?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Teching In

CASE CLOSED, PROBLEM SOLVED.

Took the diff back out of the housing and removed the ring gear. Gripped the 'paddle'/'clutch pack'/'spring thingy' in some adjustable pliers, put the pinion shaft back in; placed the clutch pack against the carrier and just like CAMBIRDRACING said: "place a piece of wood on it and wack it with a big hammer."
Thanks CBird.

Morale of the story, don't take the clutch pack/paddle/spring thing out of an auburn diff. Leave the damn thing where it is!