Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Threaded inserts, LS6 intake, cable throttle conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Threaded inserts, LS6 intake, cable throttle conversion.

Greetings.

This is my first post, but I've been gathering useful information here for quite some time. However, I recently ran into a problem for which I was unable to find a solution, even though there are quite a few threads that show other people have had this same issue. I figured it out, and so I thought I'd share.

I've got an LS1 crate engine going into an off-road buggy and it's got an LS6 air intake manifold. As many of you know, the LS6 manifold originally goes with a drive-by-wire throttle body and for those who want to use a cable actuated throttle, there's a problem.

The threaded inserts into which the cable bracket bolts are MISSING! Instead, there are 2 naked plastic cavities molded into the manifold, devoid of threaded inserts. Therefore, if you want to screw in a cable bracket, you've got some work to do. People have come up with a number of solutions including through-drilling, tapping and up-sizing the bolts, nested/glued in Heli-Coils, gluing in nuts, and even packing the holes with epoxy and then drilling/tapping.

I just wanted the stupid insert.

I searched extensively, both here and on the phone and GM does not part-number this threaded insert. So, instead, I figured I'd find someone manufacturing an insert just like the part that GM must be sourcing from somewhere.

I found it.

It's called an EZ-Lok.

www.ezlok.com

Part number 4ZU28 fits perfectly, and provides an M6x1.0 internal thread. I screwed in a bolt a few turns and then tapped them in. Screwing in the bolt "seats" the things rigidly.

You have to buy through a distributor. I used Grainger, but they're also sold through McMaster-Carr and a variety of others.

I hope that helps SOMEONE!

I really appreciate all the fantastic info I've picked up here over the last 2 years.
The following users liked this post:
Global Warmer LQ4 (06-26-2019)
Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every LS6 I have seen has came with Threaded Inserts already. They came on F-Bodies and they had cable operated throttle bodies
Old 09-04-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

good find, but like previously mentioned it should have come with those inserts from the factory....
Old 09-05-2009, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

Great looking out BellyDoc!! Sure someone somewhere will need this idea.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro52R
Every LS6 I have seen has came with Threaded Inserts already. They came on F-Bodies and they had cable operated throttle bodies
Maybe it's a Corvette thing?.. I dunno. Don't mind me, I have no idea what I'm doing... literally!

I'm just a dork with a big welder and a brutally expensive heap of melted metal in my garage that hopes to one day be a trail buggy. I'd post pictures, but quite frankly, what I'm building is so embarrassingly primitive compared to what you guys do, that it just doesn't belong here! I post pictures on Pirate4x4 where people turn junk into art... and then beat it into junk again. It's at home there!

Nevertheless, when I went searching here, I came up with a number of threads wherein people were looking for the same thing I was, and not finding it... like so:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...need-help.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...take-swap.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ed-f-body.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ts-intake.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-question.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...000-can-i.html

... there were literally a LOT more because I searched by multiple criteria and these are just some of the forum threads that came up using "threaded insert". I had also searched by "throttle cable bracket" and "throttle cable conversion" and a few others, looking for the part.

Basically lots of people solve this problem by either "creative fixitry" or some sort of parts cannibalization. Nobody had posted a working part replacement that I could find.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Thank you - just ordered this part...

FWIW - many LSX engines with drive by wire throttle did not have factory inserts.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Launching!

I'm building a LS2 with a LS6 manifold. I just looked at the intake in my pile of parts and sure enough, no inserts in the manifold!

Thanks, just ordered a package also.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Damn this might need be a sticky for those of us looking to buy an ls6 mani, to make sure this dosent happen again. Ida been pissed if I found this out after the fact too...
Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Teching In

4ZU28. Thanks a bunch. I have replaced my intake manifold to do away with the freeze plug that I was using for the EGR and came across this same problem. VERY USEFUL POST. For a first post, this has to be one of the best.

Where did you get the throttle cable holder that you bolted in to your newly placed threaded inserts? It looks great compared to the hacked together piece of metal that I'm using.
??
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Never mind, found it at JEGS: Lokar TCB-40LS1
Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Just bumping this thread because I had no clue ANY ls6 manifolds came without the threaded inserts. Of course mine, was without.

Ended up cutting out the ones from the ls1 manifold, heated them up on the stove and hammering them in to new manifold. Worked great.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Was looking for this information as well. My ls6 intake did not have threaded inserts. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Teching In

just ordered mine. thanks for the info!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for a more secure fit, use a high watt solder gun to heat them while gently pushing in, once they get where you want them, let go of the trigger and hold them in place for a min or so till the plastic cools (they will want to "spring" out otherwise)
Old 08-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I just wanted to say how helpful it was. And I just got my inserts in today. Unfortunately the smallest package they had was a 25 piece, and only needed two. So if any one needs these, please PM me and I will hook you up for significantly less than what a 25 pack cost. Thanks a bunch
Old 08-24-2017, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro3800
Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I just wanted to say how helpful it was. And I just got my inserts in today. Unfortunately the smallest package they had was a 25 piece, and only needed two. So if any one needs these, please PM me and I will hook you up for significantly less than what a 25 pack cost. Thanks a bunch
Camaro3800, would you still happen to have some of these inserts? Not sure it would pencil out with shipping depending on where you are but I really don't want to end up with 24 of these things if I can avoid it. I'm in Southern California.
Thanks,
Stew
Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaro3800
In for a few if you're still game.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Screw-to-Expand Inserts
for Plastics, Brass, 1/4"-20 Thread Size
92395A116
Pack of 25
$9.30
Pack
$9.30

This is what I paid from McMaster-Carr. They work extremely well and yes I have 23 now. I guess I could send out some to those who might need them.

Quick Reply: Threaded inserts, LS6 intake, cable throttle conversion.