General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunking problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking problem

I want to start by saying I have searched on this issue.

I recently have noticed some clunking on my passenger front side when I'm doing some real slow or parking lot driving. I'm not to familair with the whole tie rods and ball joints thing, but i performed the following tests.

grab at 12 and 6, and shake, no play

grab a 3 and 9, and shake, no play

However, i got under the car and noticed that the boot or sleeve covering what i'm assuming is the inner tie rods, has some oil around it.

Considering the results of the test, does this mean my rack needs to be replaced?

In addition, i performed the same test on the drivers side to check. No problems with the ball joints, but there was at least an 1/8th inch of play shaking at 3 and 9 (tie rods). So im pretty sure i need to replace at least the drivers side tie rod, even though its not being problematic right now?

My question, is how to further diagnose the problem on the passenger side and what my best options are... I'm not really familiar with the rack system and don't really have the tools to replace it.

Can anyone shed some light...

Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd head its best to just have a shop replace the rack and pinion because you have to unbolt the engine. I was thinking of doing a aftermarket k-member at some point. Would this be the best time to do one? I don't plan on building the engine for a lonnngggg time.

I've heard labor on the rack and pinion was like 400 and I heard labor on a k member is like 400 too. How much is a reasonable labor price to get the two of them done?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mods can we get this moved to the suspension and chassis section? might be better suited there..