Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Paint Defect Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Defect Question

My dad owns a 01 WS6 with 12000 miles on it. It's a spoiled little garage queen. Anyways, it's stored in the garage with a car cover over it. He said he noticed a small imperfection on the painted part of the top between the t-tops and rear window when he first got the car. However he took it out this weekend and noticed that is now looks like that entire part is blistering.

We were thinking it might have gotten hot in the garage. He lives in Albuquerque NM so that is a possibility. However the garage is attached to the house and the doors are insulated so it normally doesn't get above 90 degrees in there.

Has anyone else had these problems? I own a Goat so my F-body knowledge is limited.

Thanks guys
Old 09-05-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Common Problem... It's not the Paint, Panel needs replaced.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...ll-thread.html
Old 09-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know it has obviously been covered and therefore a total newb question, I just didn't know what to search for. I'm sure the old man will be elated to hear the news.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, common problem unfortunately, Cheetoh has the link. Mine is doing it bad and it's a garage queen also.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Teching In

I had the same thing just start on my 01 Firehawk, called local dealer they said I'm sorry the TSB doesn't apply due to the age of the car. Then called pontiac customer service and long story short; Pontiac bought me all the new parts $700 bucks worth and just told me I had to find the body shop to have them painted and installed. Good luck I know how your dad must feel.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Bubbles on Roof Panel of Pontiac 2002 TransAM

My roof is bubbling on the top roof panel between the T-tops and back window also.

Did any of you have yours repaired and did you buy a new panel and have it repainted or did you just have the current panel repainted?

MD~
Old 09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Repainting the current panel will do no good, the panel needs replaced.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Default Bainsm

Thanks, I saw that. I have already found the part and am working on getting it painted per the instructions.

Have you heard of any discrepancies with the inside door panels. Mine seem to be cracking at the top near the inside window seal. It looks like it has been cut but I know that is not the case.

We took the panels out to replace the window motors and I am thinking maybe it could have stressed them. I don't know.

If you know anything please share.

Thanks!
MD ~
Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another Common Problem:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...uote-pics.html
Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I had mine replaced under warranty by a dealer a year ago, I didn't even notice it until they pointed it out when I brought it in and had the general manager looking at it. Couldn't pass up that offer. Looks great now that they've done it as well.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Bainsm

We no longer have a pontiac dealer here can I take it to a GM dealer?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 AM

Default Bainsm

2002 Firebird Formula TransAM, Red, plain jane. But I love it. It's fast. Had the Firebird emblems put on it. I will have to do that again when I have this part replaced. I hope I can get it done under warranty. If not the part is $547.00then I have to get someone to paint it.

Don't really like people working on my car except my regular mechanic and me. Any part I have replaced have been original parts, had the original tires put on it. I bought it on eBay when it only had 9,000 miles on it. Now I only drive it one week out of the month.

Never any problems until now. I did have to change the thermostat because the "O" ring came apart and the thermostat was stuck open. I had noticed the car was not running hot enough. Gas mileage went down slightly. Mechanic could not figure it out.

But that is all that has ever been wroing with it. Except. I have noticed on each door pannel inside in the area of the handle on the outside a small crack. At first I thought someone might have tried to break into the car but there were no markings out the door seals.

Have you heard anything about that? The inside door panels cracking?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

I would think a Chevrolet dealer would take care of you as well -- just try and take it to one that seems to be somewhat "performance oriented" (as in lots of Z06s or Corvettes in general on their lot). You're more likely to have good luck at a dealer that recognizes our cars than one that can't tell the difference between a Grand Am and a WS6.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Default Bainsm

I will, thanks! We have a dealer in Opelika. They at one time had a really pretty pace car I almost thought about getting.

~
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Cracks in Panels

Originally Posted by Cheetoh

Is there some sort of vinyl repair that can fix the door panels?