Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

safe to drive this way?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default safe to drive this way?

so i hit a series of HUGE holes today and now i have a stange noise coming from the front passenger side. i think i pulled the shock nut thru the isolator because i can see the rod at the top of the shock thru the spring coils on the pass side and not the driver's. the noise is difficult to describe, its almost like a grinding/popping/clunking all at the same time. i only hear it when the suspension cycles roughly, like going over the bumps in roadwork.

if i did pull the nut thru the isolator, is it safe to drive on for a little while until i can get a few more parts to do my koni/strano swap?
Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOT safe at all....if you pulled the strut rod through you no longer have the use of the front strut. Your riding on spring only and driving the car is very dangerous.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say so much dangerous as annoying. Its the same effect as driving around with a blown shock. With no absorption it will bounce when going over bumps and can cause wear to other components. The really crappy part is trying to get that shock out...don't ask me how I know You've probably been without an isolator for some time now...the same thing happened to me...what you see in your spring is the metal sleeve that was bonded into the shock mount. You need both a new Isolator and strut mount. Also, be careful when replacing these....the only thing keeping your spring compressed is the weight of the car now. Once you start removing things it will extend more than normal without the nut to retain it in the mount so its going to be very frustrating. Have fun!