Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60 no first gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60 no first gear

I just had my transmission rebuilt in my 96 TA and I put it in and now I don't have first gear. When starting it starts in 2nd and then drives normally. I can manually pull it down in 1st and it starts there but it slips really bad and has no power to it. The problem with transmission in the first place was I shattered the pump gears and two of the planetary gears were in really bad shape. Other than first gear the transmission performs great and the converter flashes like it should and locks up. Could there be some sort of debris in the valve body not letting first gear get any pressure? What else could the problem be?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had this one time on a unit i built and what had happened was the stator shaft seals got pinched......you really need to see what the line pressure readings are in first could be a problem with the low roller also
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could possibly have an issue with the valve body. However I would have your builder look at the 1-2 accumulator. Sounds like a cracked piston or a missing seal. Basically a cross leak causing oil pressure to get into the 2nd gear circuit when it should not be. When you place the shifter in manual low you are getting a tie up between two circuits. Vince B