Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake issue: ABS INOP

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake issue: ABS INOP

Hey guys hope someone can chime in on this issue with my car. 2002 Trans Am WS6 6MT. I was driving back home last night (2 hour trip) and was just getting into town. I lowered my music and I could hear a loud whine coming from the rear of the car. I never heard gear whine on the car before so I assumed thats what it may be. Seconds after noticing the sound, a strong burning smell came into the inside of the car (windows were up with AC) I came to a red light and then noticed smoke coming from under the hood! The ABS INOP light then came on. The brakes were still working and luckily I was only 300 feet from home when all this started happening so I parked and got off. There is no lighting at the rent's house but I did have a flashlight. The smell was strong and thick and I couldn't see where it was coming from under the hood. This was at 12:00 midnight last night lol. I let the car cool down and looked at it this morning. Under the hood I still have the leftover smell (I guess it does smell like hot brake fluid) but I cannot see any leaks or anything. Other than that I noticed the left rear rotor looks alot more worn than the others.

I turned the car on and the ABS INOP light is still on but I am hesitant on whether or not to drive it. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as its nothing mechanical in the rear end, you can drive it. If you hit the brakes hard though, you will slide very easily. Check all the ABS sensors and fuses when you check the rear end. You could have blown one. If its still smoking though, i'd keep it put.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Rear end whine would have no relation to an underhood electrical short or fluid leak. If you're brake fluid is not down, you're not leaking fluid. If ABS is detecting a failure in it's circuit, a sensor could be to blame or you've burnt through a wire or something shorted creating the failure.

First and foremost find out what was creating the smell, then trace the problems backwards. Scan for codes as well...this may help you find the problem...but the code may be a secondary issue from an unrelated primary problem.

Check for rodent damage or traces of nesting from something btw.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a side note, having the ABS light on will still pass inspection in most states because it usually doesn't indicate a problem with the brakes, so it should be safe to drive unless the ABS saves your life on a regular basis
Old 09-06-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Hey guys and SJM, thanks for the input. Many thanks for my buddy Freddy (PERFECT Z28 on the forums) as he is from my home town and helped me out with the car. Well last night was really windy so the smoke was coming from the exhaust!. We jacked the car up and found diff fluid all over the piping of the GMMG (burning diff fluid). We found the diff leak, and went ahead and took off the axles and checked for wear and the bearings. The differential looked good. The magnet was floating around in the diff fluid which may have caused the noisy rear end. We cleaned the whole mess under the car with brake cleaner. Cleaned bearings, diff, axles, got a new gasket and gasket maker and sealed her up. Car is running good with barely any whine. The ABS light is still on though. I only drove the car down the highway by my house and back.

The ABS does not save my light on a normal basis lol, so I should be ok to drive 2 hrs back to San Antonio. It got late on us by the time we were able gather tools, oil/gasket/etc, borrow a floor jack and work on the car. I will look into the ABS when I get back to SA or see if the code will clear.

The crazy thing about the diff fluid is mine was f'n pitch black and very thick and nasty. And the car only has 50k miles.

Quick Reply: Brake issue: ABS INOP