Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got bored...my mind is wandering. idea inside.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default got bored...my mind is wandering. idea inside.

what do you think about having a bottle jet hot coated? think it would keep the temps more consistant? i know it makes a world of diff on headers as far as keeping the bay cooler. just a thought. discuss.....
Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting, think it might make it harder to heat initially??
Old 09-06-2009, 04:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
interesting, think it might make it harder to heat initially??
that def crossed my mind....again just brain storming. but i think it could keep pressure more consistant. and if it is harder to heat intitaly maybe it wouldnt go up to 1400 psi sitting in the car.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

In theory should help,then you could really use a torch to heat up the bottle
Old 09-06-2009, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
that def crossed my mind....again just brain storming. but i think it could keep pressure more consistant. and if it is harder to heat intitaly maybe it wouldnt go up to 1400 psi sitting in the car.
Hmmm, I didnt think about it that way. That would be nice down here, I dont even want to deal with the heat in the summer so I usually just leave the bottle out. Kind of leaves me feeling a bit vulnerable
Old 09-06-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the procedure for JetHot coating? If it's anything like powder coating and needs to be baked at ~500°F then I'm not so sure it can be done. I don't remember the temperature limits of coating an Al bottle, but I do remember it can only go so high before the bottle integrity is sacrificed...and exploding bottles aren't a good thing!
Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Might work good to keep over pressure at bay, and heater is dated tech, imo, NANO for serious n2o heads, lol. whether it would work better than a bottle blanket, that would be nice to know?
Robert
Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
What's the procedure for JetHot coating? If it's anything like powder coating and needs to be baked at ~500°F then I'm not so sure it can be done. I don't remember the temperature limits of coating an Al bottle, but I do remember it can only go so high before the bottle integrity is sacrificed...and exploding bottles aren't a good thing!
well the bottles come powder coated so im going to say that woulndt be an issue.

ttt-lets hear some more opinions!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

IMO I dont think it would be worth it. Coatings, insulation, blankets etc only affect resistance to temp changes and slow them down.

In a closed system such as a bottle mounted inside a car...all it will do is slow the rate at which the bottle reaches the ambiant temp inside the car. if its 100 degrees inside the car the bottle will eventually reach 100 degrees...even if its coated or has a blanket. In this case the greater the insulation properties..the longer time to reach ambiant. A coating such as Jet Hot would be the least effective IMO. It may actually hinder you depending on what your trying to do.
If its 50 degrees out and you need to heat your bottle...the coating will make it more difficult to get the heat into the fluid/bottle. And the coating will have no affect on retianing that heat once you spray since the act of spraying/expansion cools as a result of pressure drop and not bottle insulating properties. So the bottle will cool after each spraying and then be harder to heat up with a heater.

It would basically be the same as putting your bottle heater on the OUTSIDE of the bottle blanket.

In an open system such as exhaust/under hood area, coating will affect the temp Differential between the two , but the two will never reach the same temp and the greater the insulation properties the greater differential. Coating, blankets and insulation obviously work wonders for that scenario. But the exhaust and bottle are really apples and oranges.

IMO it just wont have a great affect and in some areas it may even be detrimental.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by inteness-402
In theory should help,then you could really use a torch to heat up the bottle
NEVER a good idea.....NEVER.....period.

-Will
Old 09-09-2009, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
I think a benefit would be if you could leav it in the car and not have the blow off disc rupture like what happened to me last week. Before you get them coated you will need to have them all sandlasted to get the powder coat off...I had 6 of my white tanks sandblasted and powder coated black for aroung $400 ro $500 I think... I'd be interested to hear jet hots take on what benefits there might be?

Also, forget the bottle heater concern, jut get a NANO... I have instant and constant bottle pressure at anytime and all through the run... Wouldnt need to worry about torches and heater... Just a though...

Last edited by stonabones; 09-09-2009 at 01:49 AM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Motorboater

Most powder coaters, myself included, won't coat bottles due to liability concerns. We aren't big businesses with lawyers on retainer, not worth the risk if one of them goes boom. Every time you bring that bottle back up to curing temps its gonna weaken it just a smidge more..when we're talking about the kind of PSI a bottle sees..better safe than sorry. I don't know for sure but I'm gonna guess that the factory powder is a low temp, quick cure powder. Hence the reason its not as strong as the work I do for example, we all know factory powder on bottles chips fairly easy. I'm sure they have also done the math to figure a one time heat at their curing temps doesn't weaken the bottle to a point of any likely problem..heating up it again to re-coat it could put it in the danger zone.