Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bout time to start my build, 88 S10 4cyl to 5.3 turbo glory

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bout time to start my build, 88 S10 4cyl to 5.3 turbo glory

I don't post around here too much, I've been a lurker for more years than I can count, and try to help where I can. I'm mostly into vw 1.8ts, but had an 03 mach 1 with 4.30 gears and drag radials have never lost the v8 itch. A buddy has a turbo ls3 vette, and I love LSXs because you can swap them damn near anywhere! Anyway, I graduated welding school in December and have been working on a lot of stuff since... I've been looking for the right swap car for a long time- and it finally came up. I picked up this 88 short cab 2wd manual s10 for a price I absolutely couldn't refuse, and I've had my eyes out for a cheap good shape s10 for a LONG while. Here she is..

YES, they're gold 14s. I've never had a car with gold wheels before, let alone 14s. They wont fit the new brakes... so we'll see what happens with them.

Took the faded tint off, tried cleaning the primer off the taillights. Stripped the carpet out. The only rust on the truck is in the drivers side floorboard, easy for me to fix. Anyway, I'm sure all of you guys want to know what I have in store.

Parts I've been collecting- I have an 80k mile 5.3, some truck headers, no air conditioning, and its going to be getting a mildly sized snail. I also have a 98 PCM and harness, and am scooping up a used HP tuners setup very soon. I can't wait. The adapters are on the way to my house, and I think this is going to be awesome. Putting a v8 t5 out of a 3rd gen camaro in it, should work alright considering the truck isn't too heavy. We'll see, I'm not against swapping out to a decent automatic (or maybe a t56). Anyway, I wanted to thank all of you regulars on here for giving me the push I need to do things myself. You guys really are an inspiration, swapping things into other things that are so wrong but so perfect. I can't wait to share my progress!!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Turbo 5.3 S10s are starting to pop up, I'd better watch out when cruising in the V. Good luck with the swap, at least welding won't be an issue.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

I think a wiser choice would be to put a T-56 in it, there stronger then a T5 if Im not mistaken.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 67maro
I think a wiser choice would be to put a T-56 in it, there stronger then a T5 if Im not mistaken.
The 3rd gen camaro t5s are world class t5s, 26 spline input shafts like the t56s. The truck isn't going to weigh much, so I'm hoping it'll hold for a while. I don't expect any issues on street tires. I'll probably end up switching to an auto sooner or later anyway. I got the trans REALLY cheap.... Are the internals the same as the mustang units? If so, I can just slap a g-force gearset in it and call it a day.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck on the build! Might have to pick your brain if you're farther than I am (which I'm sure you are or will be soon anyway). I'm actually building the exact same thing, 88 S10 5.3 turbo. Actually building it for a friend.
That truck looks really clean, might even be cleaner than the one I'm working on which is hard to believe. Of course I'm in MN so it's pretty rare around here.
Out of curiousity, what are you doing for rear suspension and rear end?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jrmotorworks
Out of curiousity, what are you doing for rear suspension and rear end?
Sweet, another similar truck. Rear end I haven't decided on. It may be an 8.5" GM rearend out of a later v6 stick blazer, may be an 8.8" out of a ford, haven't really decided yet. I have half a mind to do IRS, even though I like live axle. Depends on how much everything cots.

Enjoy!
Josh
Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

I've heard good things of the 8.8, but we decided to go with an 8.5 from an 01 S10 since it was set up for disks already. Swaping in some LS1 F-body rear rotors and calipers. Gutting it out for new gears and a Detroit Tru-Trac.
IRS would be nice, but more weight too. Definitely not done very often though!
Best of luck to you!

-Jeremy
Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

I've heard good things of the 8.8, but we decided to go with an 8.5 from an 01 S10 since it was set up for disks already. Swaping in some LS1 F-body rear rotors and calipers. Gutting it out for new gears and a Detroit Tru-Trac.
IRS would be nice, but more weight too. Definitely not done very often though!
Best of luck to you!

-Jeremy
Thanks man, how much did you scoop the 8.5 for if you don't mind me asking?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

$200 at a local yard here, had the locking (G80) diff in it and 3.73 gears so I should be able to sell those and make back most of that cost back. We spent a good while trying to find one, think about 6 months. Every time we "found" one, even after they "verified" it, we would go to pick it up and sure enough, 7.5". got to be real frustrating. But in the end it paid off I guess.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Tore down the car today, got most of the stuff off, almost ready for the swap. Motor mounts SHOULD be here tomorrow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This truck could really use a v8. I need to call LKQ in the morning to get the rearend on the way, they have a bunch of one wheel peel 8.5s for not too much money, just a matter of getting them delivered.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

It's funny how little time it takes to tear these things down. I didn't have to pull the engine and trans, so that helps. You gotta get some more pics up when you can.
Find a good deal on an 8.5 then? Damn, now I want to get back out in the garage and get some more done on my project, except im at the BORING sanding and paint prep stage. UGH. haha.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your planning on using the truck manifolds on this deal? I'd like to see how that comes together. Ive heard clearance around the steering box is a bear.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
Your planning on using the truck manifolds on this deal? I'd like to see how that comes together. Ive heard clearance around the steering box is a bear.
I'm going to mount the truck headers for mockup but will be making my own set of manifolds for it. I'll be sure to take pictures of how everything gets along. My mounts won't be here till tuesday, so another few days of not having v8 stuff. My wheel spacers are on the way, should look cool without gold 14s. Rearend is going to be a slightly narrowed frame, maybe 2-3". Going to do a 3 link and watts link/panhard bar for the rear, need to get the 8.5" first.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

on my turbo build i tryed every manifold chev has made and all pointed at hood are hit gear box. i got pissed and built my own headders so much easier. if some how you do you will never get power steering lines on.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post12184452
Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls3s10
on my turbo build i tryed every manifold chev has made and all pointed at hood are hit gear box. i got pissed and built my own headders so much easier. if some how you do you will never get power steering lines on.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post12184452
I'm going to sweep them forward, need to figure out if I'm going to run power steering or not. Header fab will be one of the goals of this project, hopefully they'll hold.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about switching to a rack and pinion?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
What about switching to a rack and pinion?
The more I think about it the more likely it is that I'll just build a new frame for the truck. I want to back half it and slap a 4 link back there and dont want to pay $$$$$$$$$ for some pre done clip, might as well do front suspension while I'm up there and run a rack and pinion. Thinking about either a mustang II setup (nice and compact) or maybe even a c5/c6 crossmember. Not really sure. I called the junkyard I order from, none of their "8.5 inch" rearends are actually 8.5s..... oh well. Debating building up a 9". Fixed some brake stuff today, I felt pretty good about it, never worked on drums before!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome to what we had to deal with lol. ONe option to look into would be one from a ZR2 S10 which is for sure an 8.5, but it would be a total of 8 inches too long for the 2WD so you would have to have it shortened.
As far as the front suspension goes, check out http://www.scandc.com/leesteering.htm
They have a smaller/lighter steering box than the factory one. I belive that is what we ordered, I could get some measurments at some point but I'm sure its burried in a box somewhere at the moment.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome to what we had to deal with lol. ONe option to look into would be one from a ZR2 S10 which is for sure an 8.5, but it would be a total of 8 inches too long for the 2WD so you would have to have it shortened.
As far as the front suspension goes, check out http://www.scandc.com/leesteering.htm
They have a smaller/lighter steering box than the factory one. I belive that is what we ordered, I could get some measurments at some point but I'm sure its burried in a box somewhere at the moment.
I chatted with Mark at SC&C, really nice guy. I'll probably use his stuff, just weighing my options at the moment.bbThe zr2 and narrowing is irritating, and then posi and decent axles, brakes. Just gets excessive you know? Been eyeing a full foating 9" from some dirt track places. Figure it might work, but I have a long ways to go until then. Still waiting for the mounts, and have been working on other things today. Truck will get some attention tomorrow.

Anyone have any tips for finding an 8.5 in this sea of 7.5s? I'm trying not to spend a ton of money on a 9". I guess if I do I won't have to worry about breaking it, ever...

Last edited by themachasy; 09-14-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be a fun build and decent power when finished.

Quick Reply: Bout time to start my build, 88 S10 4cyl to 5.3 turbo glory