Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

help 404 f1a

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help 404 f1a

OK so I went to the dyno for the first time today with my new setup and could not get any power out of this thing...It made 568hp and 500tq @ 16psi so I took off the charge pipe and blower belt and made 330 hp and 315tq The motor sound very flat above 4800 with the blower unhooked. The only thing I can come up with is maybe the cam is off one tooth. The oil psi is ok, afr is good,timing looks fine and very lil blow by. Here is my setup
404ci
BS3
F1A pro charger
cam dur @ .50 238 int/246exh lobe sep 115
adv dur 288 int/295 exh
tsp stage 1 l92 heads
l76 intake
90 nw tb
long tubes
160lbs inj
huge intercooler
4L80E yank 3600 lockup
Old 09-07-2009, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a graph?? the numbers are low even without the blower.

What kind of dyno?? how much compresstion are you running??

you should be close to 800rwhp even with the stall and auto.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

How did you guys do the crank referencing for the BS3? It has to be spot on or the timing will be mest up and the car will be low on power..We thought mine was prety close, but after we tore it down it was 6-7 degrees off.
The tuner kept saying he thought the timing was off because the sparkplug reading showed the car could use ALOT more timing, but he didn't want to risk anything and kept the timing at what it normaly should be. This year we used a depth gauge to get it as close as possible.

Also, how much compression does it have?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimmy P is right. When I first read the mods it is the first thing that came to mind cause I didn't know about doing the Crank referencing until after I had started the car. I quickly found out it makes a HUGE difference. If you've done that then I would double check, cause I know of a few reputable shops that have messed it up when doing them in the car. GL.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Teching In

I checked the compression 160psi when cranking with the tb open. I forgot all about setting up the Crank reference. Ill check it today, but you think it would cause the car to be that low on power...Thanks guys

Pulled the front cover just to check, cam is in right so the only thing it could be is the crank reference.....

Last edited by davidsnet; 09-07-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Teching In

So I did exactly how big stuff said to check the timing...I found TDC made a pointer bah bah bah bah...Then i set my timing table to 30 deg but on the dash board and the logger it is showing 24 degs WTF..........So do I burn the car or is there hope for this P.O.S
Old 09-09-2009, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot all about setting up the Crank reference. Ill check it today, but you think it would cause the car to be that low on power...
It will 100% cause the car to be that low on power. I know from experience on my own car being a little off and it made a huge difference.
Mighty Mouse had the same issue a coupe of years ago when he just installed the LS2. He said the car was WAY down on power but coudln't figure it out. He sent the car to W2W, who figured out his crank referance was way off. Dont quote me on this, but I remember he made an extra 150+rwhp after the crank referancing was done right.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by davidsnet
So I did exactly how big stuff said to check the timing...I found TDC made a pointer bah bah bah bah...Then i set my timing table to 30 deg but on the dash board and the logger it is showing 24 degs WTF..........So do I burn the car or is there hope for this P.O.S
There is another table you have to zero out, in the idle section there is 'idle spark. Make sure the 30 degrees you put in the main timing table saved properly as well. I dont think the timing 'static test timing' in the config menu works if thats what you are trying, you have to change the whole main spark table to 30 degrees and zero out the idle timing table.

Hardest part is finding TDC properly and making a solid pointer, if you did that you are 99% of the way there. FWIW my last three engines fell into the 348-349* range on the crank reference, some engines will higher then 360 depending where the cam reference is. Its critical that its done right, its a PITA finding TDC properly with the engine in the car but once its done its done..

Quick Reply: help 404 f1a