Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed Koni's today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Koni's today!

I put Strano springs on my WS6 towards the beginning of the summer while I waited for Koni's. They finally came in this week so I installed them today.

Oh man what a difference they made!!

I cant begin to explain it but its a whole new ride. I'm so satisfied with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone as most how has this set up do.

I also painted the calipers while I was at it.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Good to hear. Thats the exact setup I am planning on doing while the car is put away for the winter.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really want to put a set in my 95, but I can't justify the cost right now. I just fixed everything that was wrong with it and can't see spending any money on it with my other cars not operating.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say that I share the same enthusiasm as you. I installed the Strano springs in first and rode around for about over a year on the stock shocks before purchasing the Koni's. I installed them and didn't notice a "night-and-day" difference. Bump harshness was reduced slightly. It's still pretty firm going over rough streets and makes the ride experience unpleasant. I know this is due to the lowering springs but people seem to have this misconception that adding Koni's will offset this.

One thing that I am very pleased with is the braking. It stops on a dime and handles alot better if I needed to brake hard for something.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Man I hear so many good things about Konis/Strano Springs that I cant wait to put a set on mine and see for myself how good the ride is.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I am pretty picky when it comes to ride quality, and I really like how comfortable the strano/koni combo is compared to even tons of other performance cars on their stock suspension. I mean, its no Honda Accord, but good luck trying to get that kind of ride quality in this car with this design. It's a firm ride and I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people actually prefer a slightly underdampened car for ride quality. So I think a lot of people who don't like the combo fall into that category, or they just don't have the shocks setup right or might have a lot more unsprung weight than we do.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I can't say that I share the same enthusiasm as you. I installed the Strano springs in first and rode around for about over a year on the stock shocks before purchasing the Koni's. I installed them and didn't notice a "night-and-day" difference. Bump harshness was reduced slightly. It's still pretty firm going over rough streets and makes the ride experience unpleasant. I know this is due to the lowering springs but people seem to have this misconception that adding Koni's will offset this.

One thing that I am very pleased with is the braking. It stops on a dime and handles alot better if I needed to brake hard for something.
What kind of roads do you drive on? I drove on some roads through Fall River MA before and it hurt pretty bad. I'd imagine some of those Chigago roads aren't in pristine condition. But yeah, not everyone likes the same type of ride.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
What kind of roads do you drive on? I drove on some roads through Fall River MA before and it hurt pretty bad. I'd imagine some of those Chigago roads aren't in pristine condition. But yeah, not everyone likes the same type of ride.
I live in Phildelphia but I keep my car at parents house in rural Pa and we have the 2nd worst roads in the county. No joke, we were voted worst behind Louisiana and they had a hurricane hit theirs! Yeah that bad.

I went for a nice drive last night and there were spots where I would cringe and If I had the old set up it would of been for good reason. But with the Koni's it was fine even at speed.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my Strano/Koni set up for over a year now and still rave about it.
Most people who dislike it need to try different shock settings, and that is one of the reasons we have adjustable shocks isn't it ? I also don't think too many people realize the difference that tire pressure has on ride..
Old 09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been with a full UMI Strano Spring / Koni suspension on a daily driven Camaro for about a year. It's like sex. I love it.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6
I live in Phildelphia but I keep my car at parents house in rural Pa and we have the 2nd worst roads in the county. No joke, we were voted worst behind Louisiana and they had a hurricane hit theirs! Yeah that bad.

I went for a nice drive last night and there were spots where I would cringe and If I had the old set up it would of been for good reason. But with the Koni's it was fine even at speed.
Wait, I thought Rendell was sending all the states money to Philly. The roads in western PA are probably worse than in Philly.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Wait, I thought Rendell was sending all the states money to Philly. The roads in western PA are probably worse than in Philly.
Eh I dunno they're all bad!

Philly roads are awful and thats one of the reasons my car will never go into the city aside from the fact that I dont want anything to happen to it. A bike is better in the city anyway.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Launching!

I did my Koni/Stranos install on Sunday. IMO, the height is now perfect; it's not a 4x4 anymore and it's not slammed to the ground like a low-rider. It handles 100x better now. I haven't pushed the car too much because I am still getting a feel for the car but it feels very solid at any speed and. There is a highway that is being repaved and right now the top layer is milled down making it rough; I tell ya, the car still handled perfect. I'm thinking about stiffening up the shocks a little and see how the handling is affected. I also added UMI relocation brackets for good measure (I used the lower LCA holes). I'm not sure how much of an impact those make on the handling on lowered cars.

The whole job took roughly 10 hours (with a couple breaks for lunch, etc) but it did go smooth. The worst part was compressing the old coils and I ended up having to cut the deCarbon shafts because the top nuts wouldn't come off. But even that wasn't bad. Overall, I am very happy and it was worth the time & money. Now all I need is an alignment.

Quick Reply: Installed Koni's today!