Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header question

i am in the market for some long tube headers i like the pricing of pacesetter. what are your opinion for the pacesetter race series non coated with the off road y pipe. do they still have a good amount of clearance and the ones that are non-coated how do they do, i live in texas hot and dry most of the time, car is not a everyday driver. help if you can. thanks.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pacesetters fit pretty good but as far as longevity up here in PA my coated ones only lasted about 6 months before they started to surface rust. they were on the car for 3 years and never rusted through but they did look pretty bad. i now have ss Kooks and the fitment is second to none in my opinion
Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would at least go with a coated header, just the humidity alone will make non coated rust. If you have the $$$ KOOK's or ARH's, I love my KOOK's fit/finish is top notch.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have uncoated "race style" Pacesetters that have been on the car for 3.5 years. Of course the collectors have rusted (probably within 10 minutes of being installed) but until maybe a year ago the primaries showed little to no rust, and still look decent. I daily drive this car in rain and snow and have put about 80k miles on it with these headers.
I just bought a set of used coated Pacesetters, supposedly 2.5 years old, and there is a good deal of pitting in the coating on the primaries and rust in betweeen the tubes where they're close to each other. IMO the uncoated headers with light surface rust don't look as bad as the blemished coated ones; I think the rust stands out more with the coating.