Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to determine value of used LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to determine value of used LS1?

I have been trying to sell a used bare LS1 for a while now. There seems to be absolutely zero interest. I really had no idea where to price it since most engines I could compare it to are sold complete as swaps and mine is being sold as bare metal only with no sensors and accessories, so I priced it based on what I paid for it minus what the accessories would usually go for.

I have asked for opinions from local guys and they tell me what I am selling should be a good deal, BUT I have had no success with selling.

I have thought about taking the heads and rotating assembly out and selling it in pieces, but I'd rather not take apart (what I believe is) a good existing engine. Maybe that is the best way to get my money back out of it?

For reference it is a 98 LS1. Supposed to have 118k miles, came from a car at a reputable auto recycler that tests all their stuff (not bob's corner junkyard). I have not seen it run, since I bought it already on a pallet out of the car. Again it is the block with heads and rotating assembly, front and rear covers and valley cover, nothing else (I bought it for the 'stuff" that was on it to go on an LS6 I already have, thus the LS1 core is left over). I know how internet selling works, so I started high at 1100, then progressively came down to 750 and still not a peep from any buyers.

Is this just a shitty time to try and sell an engine, or am I doing something else wrong? Would I be better off to break it open and sell the pieces?
Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i wouldnt see why you couldnt get 1100 out of it. most people are uneducated and tend to be afraid of a 97-98 LS1 because they are supposedly inferior to the 99+ models. honestly, if your not hurting to get rid of it, just sit on it for a while. the right buyer will come along.

also, try local ad's, or craigslist.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Most parts that I sell I do on ebay. I rarely set a price point, I leave it as an open bid and I get about 90% of what I think I would sell it for or in another words what it is worth to me. It is an used engine. No matter what you say on wear and how u babied it and how you did oil changes on it every 2.5K miles buyers are skeptics. Get an ebay account and set sell it there. Now the one thing that will help you is see what and how much shipping is and work it into the price of the item and tag it as free shipping. If your going to do a reserve do it for the cost of the shipping and the rest is your profit. Make sure the engine looks pristine on the photos and the cleaner the engine or piece of equipment the more looks it will get. Sold an LS1 about 8 months ago with 60K miles for $900 for my brother.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I should say that I am no newbie to internet sales, either on forums like this, or on ebay. I sell about 50 items monthly on ebay. I've been buying and selling online for 10 years now.

I know that ebay is a crapshoot...sometimes stuff goes for what it should, sometimes it goes too high, sometimes it goes way too low.

I also know that used stuff is a crapshoot. I deal a lot in auto parts, so I know that firsthand.

What I am asking here is not for advice about how to sell stuff in general, it is for advice specifically related to the sale of this used LS1, because I have much less experience with appraising these as compared to say, a rotary engine, or a set of wheels, etc. All I know is that, when I see these for sale, or if I have tried to buy one in the past, people want their weight in gold for LS related stuff. Yet when I am here trying to sell something, people want to act like it isn't worth anything. This is the part I dont necessarily have a grasp of. With the rotary parts I deal with, I know the true value, with this, it is harder for me to know.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
Well, I should say that I am no newbie to internet sales, either on forums like this, or on ebay. I sell about 50 items monthly on ebay. I've been buying and selling online for 10 years now.

I know that ebay is a crapshoot...sometimes stuff goes for what it should, sometimes it goes too high, sometimes it goes way too low.

I also know that used stuff is a crapshoot. I deal a lot in auto parts, so I know that firsthand.

What I am asking here is not for advice about how to sell stuff in general, it is for advice specifically related to the sale of this used LS1, because I have much less experience with appraising these as compared to say, a rotary engine, or a set of wheels, etc. All I know is that, when I see these for sale, or if I have tried to buy one in the past, people want their weight in gold for LS related stuff. Yet when I am here trying to sell something, people want to act like it isn't worth anything. This is the part I dont necessarily have a grasp of. With the rotary parts I deal with, I know the true value, with this, it is harder for me to know.
You just answered your own question. Value is perceived. What ever you think something is worth no one else or every one else might agree with you. Sitting here and complaining about it does absolutely nothing for the fact that there is a price you want for it and no one out there is willing to pay for it yet every one else seems to be asking the same for their parts. No one is going to give you "Your perceived value" for a part. Every one wants it cheap, easy and fast. good luck
Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe I should rephrase the question/purpose of this thread, it doesnt seem to be getting through.

*I* have no perceived value for this part...thus why I am here.

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK THE AFOREMENTIONED ENGINE WOULD BE WORTH? I have been told everything from $1100 to $400, I personally have no way of knowing, and I find it hard to believe there is not a market value for such a commonly sought after engine. I have come here to "ask the experts", after all, who better to appraise the engine than a forum full of LS1 enthusiasts?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2001 ls1 with 100k on it for $700 locally, I seem to think that was a fair price.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Launching!

I had been looking for a complete LS1 for quite a while. I found one a few months ago. I saw them and still continue to see them priced all over the place. As much as $3000 and as little as $400 for a bare long block. I bought the later one of course.

It's a matter of hit and miss. When the right buyer is looking, you can get a higher price. But when the market isn't strong, you have to take less. If I had to put a $ amount on it based on what I've been seeing, I'd say your complete bare LS1 should be priced around $700.

Just remember, all it takes is one person looking at the right time. So if you want more, just be patient.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

id say alot of it is the fact its a 98 model rngine with over 100k on it...im yssuming it has 806 heads...most people scrap those...."i did"when i bought the 317s from you...
the oiling system is weaker...the oil gallies are smaller and the 98 oil pumps were prone to failure...mine would completly lose pressure somtimes....caused by a sticking pressure spring....

also the 98 block can not be bored im wanting to say a.005 hone is the max....

imo 4-500 bucks would be a good price for a 118k 98 long block....i paid 450 for a 30k lm7 complete pcm to oil pan....

if your engine was a year newer it would have done sold...

Quick Reply: How to determine value of used LS1?