Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

toruqe arm problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toruqe arm problem

Today I've been TRYING to install my new UMI TA. However, I have ran into a problem.

I have the stock torque arm out and half of the clam shell out...

The other half of the clam shell is stuck with one bolt ( already unbolted) going through the transmission. The problem is that the clam shell is hitting against the body and I can't get it out. I've tried rotating , yanking etc everything!!! I'm about to just cut the damn bolt!

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I'm looking for some insight or advice.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you give us a call anytime tomorrow and ask for Jerry? He will be more than happy to help with this.

814-857-5400

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Ryan!

I just spoke with Jerry and he was very hepful! I was not aware I had to unbolt the crossmember and let the tranny down to install the torque arm!!! ugh ...
Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear!

I don't think you *have* to do that... but it is the easiest way Jerry and the crew in the shop have found to do it.

Anything else let us know!

Ryan
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, as Jerry suggested, I unbolted the cross member, however it didn't drop the tranny down far enough and the clamshell is still stuck.

Is there anyway to drop it a little more? This is really aggravating...I had no idea I would have to go through all this just to install a damn torque arm..
Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Now that the cross member is loose just grab the tail shaft and pull down. Doing so will give you enough clearance to remove. Its going to take some muscle just make sure the jack is out of the way. And the process is relying on the motor mounts.
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the cross member completely unbolted. I'm pulling as hard as possible on the trans too. I am by no means weak either. It barely moves an inch or two with me pulling on it.

It seems like there is no way in hell this is coming out with out dropping the whole trans out. I have no idea how to do that nor do I have the tools to do something like that.

My good friend came over to look at it as he has installed a couple torque arms before and agreed that it's not going to come out I can't believe all this just to install a torque arm. . This is Bull$#it! never would have bought it.

I am sorry if it seems like I am just b%ching for nothing, but this is not my first rodeo. I've done almost the entire suspension on my car (front shocks and springs, lcas, relos, panhard, subframes, front and rear sways etc). I really do find this install to be a major inconvenience.

Last edited by Lt14mla; 09-09-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Man hope you get it out and the new one in-it will be about worth it-lol-, Sounds like you about have to remove the rear tail housing to knock out the other side of the bracket. Have you tried PB blast to help loosen the bolt. Once its out clean up the hardware and a light coat of primer will help it from seizing back up. Good luck dude-hope it does fall together soon.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The issue isn't getting the bolt undone, the bolt is too long/ the bracket is hitting the side of the tunnel and I cant get the bolt out of the hole in the tailshaft.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

ok-just reread post-Cut it then, the bolt can be replaced with one that fits better right?.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well the bolt seems like its welded or something to the clamshell. I thought about cutting it, but if I do that I don't think its replaceable.

Does anyone know if the car is driveable without the torque arm on? assuming i drove it like a grandmom...
Old 09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lt14mla
well the bolt seems like its welded or something to the clamshell. I thought about cutting it, but if I do that I don't think its replaceable.

Does anyone know if the car is driveable without the torque arm on? assuming i drove it like a grandmom...
No, it's not driveable. It will come out without touching the tranny. Just unbolt all of the proper bolts holding it in and it will slide out. This includes going over into the exhaust hanger.

Take the bolts out you can see and it comes out the drivers side. Make sure the existing driver side of the clambshell is taken off the car first to give clearance. If the bolts on yours is longer than what is below then it is fubared...otherwise it comes out. It's not that difficult.

Last edited by JamRWS6; 09-10-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well whats my option from here because it wont come out...Everything is unbolted! When i slide the last bolt out, the clamshell keeps hitting the tunnel.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

are you sure you have to take it completly out the previous pic seems like it should slid in , ???? just tryin to help.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am experiencing the same problem as this guy

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ing-trans.html

So the car is not driveable? What if i just drive it out of my garage and get it straight in my driveway..i might just have the damn thing towed to my shop, might as well get the stall converter put in early than too...
Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone have some thoughts on this...me backing out of my garage ( with no torque arm on) and just getting it away and in the corner of my driveway
Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

I ran into this problem with my 00 SS camaro. I just unbolted the trans mount and put a pry bar between the trans and tunnel and got to to move over enough to get bolt out.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried using a pry bar and still can't get it far enough down. I have pretty new motor mounts I think...would this be making it harder to pull down...

still looking on thoughts for backing the car out into the driveway with no torque arm on
Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

You can back it out, I drove a few miles home when I cracked and bent mine, it was just hanging there, just take it easy, the rear can move on it's own up and down, I'd push it. I don't mean to bring the trans down words, but push hard as hell to the passenger side of tunnel.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I just went through this with my car, so I have recent experience.
First, the UMI torque arm comes with a poly mount and they want you to use it. So you do have to remove the bracket, grind/punch out the brads, etc.
Second, you do have to drop the rear of the tranny down to remove it b/c that freakin' bolt is part of the bracket (welded, I think) and it does hit the transmission tunnel.
Third, you could move the car a bit, as long as you were very careful. Personally, I would use people power and just push it around.
Lastly, it sounds like it is hanging on something. Do you hear or feel a "thunk" of any kind when you reach the end of its travel? I strongly suspect that you have something (other than the motor mounts) that is stopping the travel of the tail. I have poly mounts on my car, and the motor mounts were not an issue at all.
On my car (an LT1) the other side of that bracket is used to support the exhaust. So I ended up pulling the y-pipe just to get it out of the freakin' way.
I call that thing the hell bracket b/c it gave me so much trouble. Just wait until you start to go back together with it, it is just as much fun.

Quick Reply: toruqe arm problem