General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Replace power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How To Replace power steering pump

Gonna be replacing my power steering pump this weekend for a Turn one pump. Are there any write ups for how to do this?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

bump...
could really use some help on this
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

I did mine a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't too bad.

1) remove reservoir cap and siphon as much fluid as possible from reservoir to prevent spills (may want to put a plastic bag around alternator when disconnecting lines later to be safe).
2) remove drive belt by moving tensioner toward drivers side.
3) remove stock pulley from pump - you'll need a power steering pulley puller. autozone has a nice one for $30. watch this guy in the link - the puller is the larger piece in the kit and does not thread into the pump.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pxK8fRsNMM
4) disconnect the rubber tube from reservoir and the pressure line from the pump - use an open ended wrench for pressure line.
5) remove 4 bolts holding pump and remove the pump.
6) install turn one pump in reverse (4 bolts are 18 ft lbs I believe). I also had the slotted pulley installed by turn one - otherwise, you'll need to press the old pulley on the pump using the autozone press tool in the kit.
7) fill turn one pump reservoir with power steering fluid.
8) raise front end (wheels off the ground) and with engine off and reservoir cap off, turn the wheel from lock to lock slowly for a few minutes - add fluid if needed.
9) start engine with front still raised and reservoir cap off and let idle for a few minutes. slowly turn wheel from lock to lock (don't leave in lock position)for a few minutes and kill engine and let it cool for hour or so. repeat step 8 and 9 until fluid level stabilizes.

I also do not have the stock power steering cooler, so you may have some additional steps if you do.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

thanks man, appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure its not unnecessarily complicated. But compared to the cam swap i just did this seems really easy. I'll just have to figure out the ps cooler issue.