Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR LCA's: Poly/Poly or Poly/Rubber?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question BMR LCA's: Poly/Poly or Poly/Rubber?!?!

I want to get some new LCA's to replace the stock because they are squeaking like no other. I was just going to get the regular BMR tubular non-adjustable LCA's with the grease fittings. But what is the difference between Poly/Poly, and Poly/Rubber? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO both are too stiff and don't let the LCA twist. Get a poly/rod from LG. They use good rods that don't make noise.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the BMR poly/rubber on my car, a friend has BMR poly/poly with over 20K miles and has had excellent results. The thing is you want to keep the poly greased ( with the proper grease ) well, if you do that they should last you a good many miles.

Al
Old 11-28-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree with Dom - the G2 poly/rod end LCA's will be the last ones you'll ever need. If, however, you are set on BMR then do go poly/rubber.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why are the G2 LCA's cost so much more than the BMR's?

Will the BMR's be okay? I never plan to visit a track, maybe once in the next year. And I'm usually easy on my car. Whats so bad about the BMR's? Will they squeak even if I keep them lubed up?
Old 11-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dom
IMO both are too stiff and don't let the LCA twist. Get a poly/rod from LG. They use good rods that don't make noise.
I thought the whole idea was not to have twisting going on. Can someone explain this a little further. I was looking into the LG poly/poly but Ill spend the extra money if its the better investment. I see the LG poly/rod is adjustable too. Whats the road noise difference between the two LG LCAs?
Old 11-29-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the whole idea was not to have twisting going on.
For straight drag racing, yes, but for actual driving and cornering, binding is the enemy.

The only real 'bindless' setup is rod/rod. They will transfer more noise to the car by a long shot. I had the LG LCAs (poly/rod) and they made way to much noise for my tastes. But it may have been a fluke, maybe not.

If you are straightline racing, the poly/poly will be fine, but if you want decent handling as well, rod/rod is the only way to go, besides rubber/rubber.

Sorry dude.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Thx for the input glitch. Im looking to improve the overall handling ability of my car while sacrificing the ride as little as possible. Car is a sometimes daily but mostly a weekend driver and will very very rarely see the track. The LG poly/poly has to be an improvement over stock? I would think the poly/rod would be even better. Im just trying to find the balance between awesome performace and a comfortable ride. Anyone else with comments?

Ferocity, not trying to highjack your thread here.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for hijacking my thread ...............It's fine, that's what this place is for

I have a few additional questions as well. If I get the Poly/Rubber, which side goes where? And, do the boxed versions offer any more performance than the tubular ones? Thanks
Old 11-29-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of noise are you guys talking about? I've had the BMR LCA's with poly/ply bushings for months, and haven't noticed any unusual noises. No squeaks or anything.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Why are the G2 LCA's cost so much more than the BMR's?
Quality costs cash.

BMR will be "OK" but so is Pennzoil, Havoline or Quaker State motor oil. So why would someone use Mobil 1, when the other brands are "OK"?

Originally Posted by KA0S
I thought the whole idea was not to have twisting going on. Can someone explain this a little further.
Visualize the rear diff while on a flat surface, the car traveling in a straight line.

The bolts that attach the front and rear LCA mounts to the car and the diff are parallel. As the car goes over bumps or changes in road surface, the diff moves up and down, rather freely because everything is aligned.

As the car goes into a corner, the body leans, but the diff is still flat on the road surface. All of a sudden, the bolts attaching the LCAs are no longer parallel. Consequently one of 3 things have be taking place.

The bolt itself has to be bending ... not likely
The steel (or aluminum) LCA shaft has to twist ... not likely
The poly (or rubber) bushing has to deflect ... BING!

And that bushing deflection crushes the side of the bushing into the hard mounts, increasing friction and resistance. This increases effective spring rate, with the LCAs now becoming torsion bars.

Unpredictable and prgressive increases in spring rate will cause understeer to increase.

Rod ends allow free movement with zero bind. And quality rod ends that are designed to carry the loading LCAs see putting down 400rwhp and are quiet are EXPENSIVE! A poly bushing is $5 while a rod end can cost $50 or $60 each.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Thx Mitch for the a good explanation. It was the terminolgy that had me more confused than anything. That being said, Ill spend the extra cash and get the poly/rod LCAs.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are the boxed LCA's better than the tubular? Worth the extra money?
Old 11-30-2003, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both boxed and tubular are a great improvement over the stock ones, some will say boxed LCA are better for drag racing and other's will say tubular LCA for the street. If you go with poly/rubber you install the rubber end at the body and the poly end goes to the axle.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
Both boxed and tubular are a great improvement over the stock ones, some will say boxed LCA are better for drag racing and other's will say tubular LCA for the street. If you go with poly/rubber you install the rubber end at the body and the poly end goes to the axle.
Thanks a lot man! I know what I'm ordering tomarrow
Old 11-30-2003, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

LG's suspension componets are definately top quality, I have their poly/rod arms on mine and there is just a little bit more noise than stock only noticable if going over a fairly big bump in the road. I would spend the extra money and go with lous product IMO. Its a proven performer with rarely any problems out of them. All the people on the board that i have seen switch from BMR to LG compnets have loved it.

Quick Reply: BMR LCA's: Poly/Poly or Poly/Rubber?!?!