Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

parking break

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default parking break

i have a 2002 trand am ls1 and when i got it a few months ago when ever i would pull the parking break up the break light would go on on the dash and in the few weeks when ever i pull up on the E break the break light dus not go on all the time and also if i am on anny bit of an incline and the E break is pulled all the way the car will role a bit yet so i have ben leveing the car in gear just incase. my question is do just need to adjust the break? if so how do i adjust the break on this car??? thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Launching!

dues anny one know how to adjust the e break on a ls1 f body? help needed hanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The light has nothing to do with the adjustment.

The light could be due to a balky contact switch at the end of the handle mechanism. The problem may get better if you adjust your brakes and the handle doesn't travel so far.

Sounds like your e-brakes are definitely out of adjustment. This usually happens when the rear rotors are changed. (You need to re-adjust the mechanism to the new drum hats inside the rotors.) Now... the bad news - they are a real bitch to do and involve taking the rear brake calipers/rotors off. Post # 6 in the following thread has the procedure from the factory manual with regard to measuring play in the brakes: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ightening.html

Last edited by wssix99; 09-11-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Needed to correct hyperlink.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
The light has nothing to do with the adjustment.

The light could be due to a balky contact switch at the end of the handle mechanism. The problem may get better if you adjust your brakes and the handle doesn't travel so far.

Sounds like your e-brakes are definitely out of adjustment. This usually happens when the rear rotors are changed. (You need to re-adjust the mechanism to the new drum hats inside the rotors.) Now... the bad news - they are a real bitch to do and involve taking the rear brake calipers/rotors off. Post # 6 in the following thread has the procedure from the factory manual with regard to measuring play in the brakes: Emergency brake needs tightening?
Your link doesn't work.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Your link doesn't work.
Pls try again. I edited the post. It should work now.