Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

toyo R888

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toyo R888

anyone runing this tire.... what do you think of it i think it looks amazing...
Old 09-11-2009, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i run this tire and it is f&*king awesome.

i run them out back and have a set of kumho victoracer v700 tires (another R compound competition tire) up front. as soon as the kumhos are done (won't take long), i'll get two more r888's. they stick around corners like you're on rails and you can get a decent launch on the street without warming them up.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a local guy that ran 335/30/18 Toyo R888's on the back of his 753rwhp Cobra. When he took me for a ride in it, they grabbed hard from a 35mph punch. Awesome tire. I would've went with them if they weren't so damn expensive.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

if its an R-compound, is it appropriate to use them on the street? Won't they wear prematurely?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qwikz28
if its an R-compound, is it appropriate to use them on the street? Won't they wear prematurely?
They won't last as long as your average street tire. But, I got 12k out of my first set of Nittos, and still had some life left in them. I consider the traction benefit to be worth it. Besides, with how most of us drive, street tires aren't going to last too long, because you'll burn them off from lack of traction. lol
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

i can't stand the tripple 8's!!! i ran a set on my 92 1LE Z28... 275/40/17's they were an average tire on the track, sucked from a dig, and lasted no more than 4K.

i will never own a toyo tire of any kind again. the Proxes4, T1R, R888.... all GARBAGE!

KDW2's FOR THE WIN!!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

theyll wear very fast, have shitty wet traction, and will harden up into cue ***** the minute it drops bellow 50 degrees.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been running on a used set for 2 events (autox). Heres my impressions....

Takes a while to bring them up to temp...even after the second run they still need more heat, by the 3rd run they are ready.

These wear slowly, so a good investment if you want r compound that will last. After 2 events (12 runs) they look close to the first day I mounted them.

Grip wise...they do ok...this is my first set of compound over street tires. R compound over street tires is a big difference.

So IMO they do great, however, I firmly believe Hoosiers A6 will out perform these. A good driver consistently drops 5 seconds on Hoosiers vs his street tires at my local event.

I would not be able to tolerate 888s on the street. They are super noisy on deceleration and the sidewalls are stiff, feels like you are running over 50psi every time you hit a bump.

There is a decent amount of used sets if you look around, so thats a plus! Fairly easy to pick up a set, cheap too.

If you are serious and want the best go Hoosier A6 for autox or R6 for the road course.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

I just bought a set of Toyos for my Saturn Vue, heh...

But I run Falken Azenis Rt-615s and they seem to be the best blend of street/auto-x tire I could find. I drive my camaro in the rain so R-compounds are simply out of the question but I HIGHLY recommend you guys try the falkens or similar tire. I have almost 12k miles on mine and they are wearing very very well. This is a TTP-cammed M6 with 373 gears and a strong clutch and I have no traction problems at all
Old 09-12-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

race tires wear fast, they are made for one purpose, to race not last a long time, unfortunately you cant have both, sticky equals soft equals wears fast.

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
theyll wear very fast, have shitty wet traction, and will harden up into cue ***** the minute it drops bellow 50 degrees.
Dont all race tires?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

One of the first negative things I've heard about Toyo's. I've got T1 proxies on my Z, but only see street driving.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
race tires wear fast, they are made for one purpose, to race not last a long time, unfortunately you cant have both, sticky equals soft equals wears fast.

Dont all race tires?
yeah......thats why i said it. thats why you shouldnt street drive on race tires. far too many people are street driving on r-comps, thinking it'll work. you know how many people bought hoosier rain tires in 315x17, thinking they were regular street tires?

the R888 is a tire that can be driven on the street, in dry summer only, to and from events. thats what its true purpose is. not as an all-out street tire.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I should clarify I live in California where there is no weather and temperature is always decent.

When it does rain, you'll find me going 30mph in the slow lane, shitting my pants.
However, even with falken rt-615s I was doing the same, only at 45mph (another competition tire that can be driven on the street but is not R compound).

For a stalled auto on the street that doesn't want to run drag radials with flexible sidewalls, I think the R888 is perfect. They may be overkill for stock and perhaps more trouble than they're worth unless you are having traction issues on the street.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

615s arent real competition tires. theyre just very soft, high performance summer tires. the NT01 is a comp. tire that can be driven on the street. i dont see why people are getting r-comps when a BFG KD will do just as good and last longer on the street.

i have many sets of tires, several race rubber sets. if i did more street driving, the BFG KD would be my tire. and i have several r-comps, slicks, and almost r-comps to choose from. since she barely sees 500 street miles a year, sumis are just fine for me.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

615s arent real competition tires. theyre just very soft, high performance summer tires.
falken describes them as DOT approved competition tires.
http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Pass...enis-RT-615-14

have you ran the R888s?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

agreed, what constitutes something to be a "real" competition tire? It is a good tire which people use for autocross and I am saying makes a good street tire which is phenomenal in the rain
Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

615s are a good tire, especially for the price. but, theyre not the best for f-bodies. they are considered the benchmark to which all other tires are measured against......on imports and other similar sub-2900lb cars. i have a set i use for track days. theyre better then other street tires.....but the car is simply too heavy for them. they will squirm and overheat in no time, if you start pushing it.

after approx. 10 track days, my 615s are on the wear bars. they have maybe 1 or 2 days left, if that. they WILL wear out FAST, especially on short, tight tracks. autoxs will destroy them in no time, depending on the surface. if youre lucky enough to just run them at fast, open tracks, then theyll last alot longer. my wear is visible after single e-town track day i attend. yet after a day at NJMP lightning, i saw no extra wear at all. they have zero street miles....nothing but track and one autox.

mine have never and will never see rain, so whatever opinion of that is your own.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
have you ran the R888s?

not yet, but might next year. from all that ive heard, its more of a dual purpose tire then dedicated race. again, it can be run on the street, but you wont get anywhere near the use of a regular tire, and i wouldnt trust them on the street in the rain. for racing, they last long, because theyre a harder compound. id say they fall between the BFG KD and something like the nitto NT01, concerning longevity and traction.

r888s have been the spec tire for many clubs this year. im pretty sure the miata spec series uses them, probably some others. but, next year many clubs are moving to a different tire.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

615s are a good tire, especially for the price. but, theyre not the best for f-bodies. they are considered the benchmark to which all other tires are measured against......on imports and other similar sub-2900lb cars. i have a set i use for track days. theyre better then other street tires.....but the car is simply too heavy for them. they will squirm and overheat in no time, if you start pushing it.

after approx. 10 track days, my 615s are on the wear bars. they have maybe 1 or 2 days left, if that. they WILL wear out FAST, especially on short, tight tracks. autoxs will destroy them in no time, depending on the surface. if youre lucky enough to just run them at fast, open tracks, then theyll last alot longer. my wear is visible after single e-town track day i attend. yet after a day at NJMP lightning, i saw no extra wear at all. they have zero street miles....nothing but track and one autox.

mine have never and will never see rain, so whatever opinion of that is your own.
I'm not criticizing you, but I am curious as to why you used a separate set of street tires for the track. I don't have any track time on my 615s and if I ever get around to taking my car to the track regularly, I will get some track tires, but the idea of having a separate set of street tires for the track makes me curious. I drive my car hard, but not track hard, therefore the 615s have been perfect for me.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

because i got new 615s with new ZR1 rims for $900 last year. they were my track tires. earlier this summer, i bought koni challenge take off hoosier slicks for $370 shipped, mounted on another set of ZR1s.

with the execption of used tires, 615s are alot cheaper then race rubber, and since i dont compete, why the hell waste money on r-comps if its just a track day.

Quick Reply: toyo R888