Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

rearmount turbo wideband location

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rearmount turbo wideband location

Alright guys Im doing our own custom rear mount setup on my 02 z28 we took the headers off tonight an put manifolds back on with a 2 1/2 in ch y to a 3inch pipe thats going to the rear for the turbo, all of it is wrapped very well with wrap, Where does my wideband need to go? we have done several front mounts an know where it goes on them but obvouisly i cant put the wideband in the downpipe now sine i will only have like a 4 inch down pipe, lol thanks guys
Old 09-11-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People have suggested to me to put it in the driver side of the y pipe. i did that, hasnt been a problem. Reads fine
Old 09-11-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wideband does need to go in the downpipe, I put mine in mine and it was very short to, just get it like 6" off of the turbo and you will be fine. Also you might want to reconsider the 3" to the turbo idea, I did that and hated it, you should probably just stick with 2.5" for velocity.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

I agree with super on putting it after the turbo - obviously the right way to do it.

3" intermediate pipes.. i thought is all u can get really.. where did u get urs?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sujomatt
3" intermediate pipes.. i thought is all u can get really.. where did u get urs?
He said it was a custom kit, I just got an exhaust shop to remake my over the axle pipe from the y-all the way back.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

2.5" for velocity..? keeping heat in is what creates better velocity.. the bigger the pipe the more it can flow..
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sujomatt
2.5" for velocity..? keeping heat in is what creates better velocity.. the bigger the pipe the more it can flow..
Your logic is flawed.
You want smaller pipe for turbo... It's EXPANSION that kills the thermal power. As soon as hot exhaust gets into a cooler exhaust pipe, it contracts TREMENDOUSLY and does not spool as well. Yes, keeping heat in is the main goal... but a larger pipe doesn't help for a rear mount, where there is a greater area to loose heat.

a wideband will not read accurately if it is between the turbo and the engine. The pressures willmake it read incorectly. Also, it SHOULD be at least 18" downstream of the turbo... So as the HEAT from the turbo doesn't affect the reading as much... but you don't have too many choices.

My suggestion is 2.5" midpiping, and Wideband 6" after the turbo at the MINIMUM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

yea ive been hearing 1 billion different views on this, - kind of getting really f-ing old. hence why i decided not to mess with my setup since it has done a good job thus far. seriously, wtf
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

after turbo to prevent pressure from skewing the reading. Mine was over a full point off from Y pipe to after turbo. Was at 12.2 when I thought i was at 11.0, but I knew this and compensated for it.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zombie
after turbo to prevent pressure from skewing the reading. Mine was over a full point off from Y pipe to after turbo. Was at 12.2 when I thought i was at 11.0, but I knew this and compensated for it.
just for reference if you look at a wideband sensor or any o2 sensor for that matter you will see cuts in the case where it reads gas from and if you have pressure in the line it can "force" more air in there or make it stay there longer creating a bad reading, depending on placement it can read richer or leaner as a result.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

^ what he said.

02's wont read well in the line of fire (so to speak).

Kinda like a front mount... would you put your wideband directly in your manifold? Just doesn't work
Old 09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

HMMMM well this blow, Im only going to have like 4 inches of pipe coming off my turbo, Will this be ok, As for the spooling Ill throw a 50shot on it to help with that. lol more if i have too I just hate the way 2 1/2 looks as the mid pipe, Looks way to small, Im leaving all that the way we already made it, Thanks for the input on the wideband location I guess I will ind a way to get more pipe on the downpipe of the turbo.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine in both locations befor and after the turbo. It read slower after the turbo and my down pipe is 8 inches long and the bung was centerd on that. I later place it in the passenger side manafold and has been there since and reads faster. I had dual wide band from fast hook up and both banks where .3-.5 of each other I know thats no perfect but it works. I removed the fast because that dam box is huge and I was tired of trying to **** wit it.

On a rear mount car the exhaust to the trubo should be 2.5 way less area to heat and cool. You can put a 4.5 inch exhaust on a rearmount and your biggest restriction will be the turbo. Bigger is not always better.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I know bigger isnt always better, I just hate the looks of 2.5 under the car all the way out to the turbo, A lil spray will take care of my spooling prob along with a 2 step an 3600 stall. Thanks for the info folks, Im going to put it in a hat an draw, See if i get the y pipe or the downpipe Lol,
Old 09-12-2009, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a STS car the wideband has to be after the turbo.If it's before it the WOT #'s will be off.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
Oh I know bigger isnt always better, I just hate the looks of 2.5 under the car all the way out to the turbo, A lil spray will take care of my spooling prob along with a 2 step an 3600 stall. Thanks for the info folks, Im going to put it in a hat an draw, See if i get the y pipe or the downpipe Lol,
yeah it looks weak lol But who in the hell is going to be under the car while they are lookin at your tail lights?? Oh and my Y is 2.5 to the stock I pipe wich I think is 3 inch that comes stock on a f=boat.

Slowhawk. My car was tuned with the wide ban in the exhaust manfold so I guess im safe there. I know you do quite of bit of tunning and was wondering why some people say back pressure from the pre turbo location will skew the AFR Versus post turbo? All I got was personal preferance can you explain??
Old 09-12-2009, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Mine is in the driver side y-pipe section. Seems to be wrking great, nice fast response from the wideband.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

STS told me after turbo just like an front mount when i asked. i then realized rear mount turbo's were silly and sold the kit so i dont have any real world experience
Old 09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol, Thanks guys for all the answers,
Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

any up dates on this? i got an MTX-L that im about to put on my car and run it with my rear mount turbo.

Quick Reply: rearmount turbo wideband location