Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Mufflers

Who with front mount turbos are running mufflers and what size piping.. So far all of the front mounts I've seen just run the exhaust thru the side of the front facia with no mufflers..I just wondered how restrictive it would be running exhaust out the rear....
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not very restrictive if you run a 3.5 or 4" exhaust. I am using a 3.5" DP ran all the way back, over the axle, to a hooker maxflow. Its quite, but I really hate the sound when I let off, crackles pretty bad like a glasspack would.

I noticed no performance difference running an open down pipe, I do not have dyno numbers to back that, but my tune did not change at all (OLSD) and the car did not feel any faster, just loud and sounded like a tractor.

3" DPs have been shown to not hurt performance much if you have a high flow muffler like a dynomax ultra flow, magnaflow, and stay under 600rwhp. There are some that have pushed some really high numbers with a 3".
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info, I was wondering the same thing mine will have a 3" from the turbo all the way bad to the stock CME muffler, which for me is really quiet and I will likely change it with something a little less restrictive.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

I was thinking of going 3.5 inch since I really do not like the look of a 4". But I am planning on 750-800 RWHP so I may need the 4"?? If so I will tuck it up under the rear so it is not so noticeable...
Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

I ran a 4" downpipe for the turbo setup, ran on the passenger side, and it went into a Dynatech muffler. i had it terminate under the passenger seat.

When I had a blower setup, I ran a dual 3" x pipe setup with Borla XR1's that dumped at the rearend.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 4"DP thats dumped under the crossmember but plan to run it all the way back with either 2 bullets inline or a borla xr1.If you you have the correct size pipe for your setup then the main 2 restrictions would be the amount of bends in the pipe and of course muffler selection.Me personally would stick with some sort of straight thru perferated core muffler
Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no cats. 3" Y into a 4" over the axle. Then back to a 3"Y to the dual outlets. There is a bullet muffler in each tailpipe under the back of the car. It has a nice rumble at idle and screams under WOT. Not too bad cruising on the highway. It can get loud at times though. I may add cats back in when I rebuild my set-up to get rid of that raw fuel smell. I don't like showing up to work smelling like car exhaust (as much as I like it )
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

I'm past the loud stuff, My car is a true DD, I mean even with the supercharger setup I drove it on 500 mile round trips. I started with a 2 chamber flowmaster and got tired of the loud sound on the HWY. I decided to go with a Flowmaster SUV muffler thinking that if I loose a few horses, so what. That muffler was quiet at idle, cruise but still had a good note at WOT, and get this, I didnt loose any HP at all. It still made 648 from the 2 chamber to the suv muffler...

Quick Reply: Mufflers