Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

a separate battery for the fun stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a separate battery for the fun stuff?

I was pondering this last night. could i put another battery in the back and hook up my fun stuff like my amp for mysub, bottle warmer and remote bottle opener that way i wouldnt be running down the life of the car battery under the hood? anyone ever done this please lemme know thanks
Travis
Old 11-29-2003, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've never done it but you would need to run a pretty big wire back there and maybe even upgrade your alternator i cant say that for sure though since i dont know how much amps the stock one can support. another thing you might want to look into doing is buy a lightweight battery and put it where the stocker went and put the stocker out back. since nothing but the spark and other minor things would be running off the one up front (you could even wire your various pumps and accessories to the one out back) you wouldnt have to worry about it dying and the stocker out back should be enough to power all the goodies.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ditto, you should look at the OPTIMA batteries they are good quality and somewhat lighter than the stocker.
Good Luck

WeS
Old 11-29-2003, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

could i put the smaller battery in the back to run the amp... my major concern is i got a hell of a lot of wires going to my battery...1. remote bottle opener, 2. bottle warmer, 3. 750 watt sub, 4. nitrous amp relay, and im going to be getting a cut out here in a few days, should i just get one with the cable line that isn't electronic just to save myself from putting too much strain on the battery? or can ip ut the smaller battery in the back and run the amp and bottle wamer off that?
Old 11-29-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

IN the 4x4 world dual batterys are common, when you start using 10 200 watt lights and a cb and a winch and and and, it can play hell on your electrical system.
Something like thsi is your best bet http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/pro..._isolator2.htm
Have you added up the amp draw of all you accessorys? Are your lights dimming at idle? Why do you sthink your straining the system, the only high amp accessory I can see is the warmer.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes You Could Add Another Battery But Honestly I Wouldent Beacouse Their Heavy And Its Gonna Be A Bit Pricey To Do It Correctly You World Need An Isolator And Have To Runa 4 Ga Or Thicker Down Your Car Honestly All You Should Need Is A Good Yellow Top Imo If You Plan On Cranking Your **** Up For Long Periods Of Time Then Id Either Get A Ac\dc Converter To Yes A Trunkload Of Batteries If Itsa Large System But For A Bit Of Tunes And A Couple Lights And Small Stuff Just Replace Your Orig Battery With A Yellow Top Its Made To Be Depcycled Also If Your Worried About Running Dead Jst Get A Voltage Meter Like I Do And Watch It Really In All Honestly For 10 Mins(prolly 20 Or 30 But To Be Safe) Of Loud Music U Should Be Fine With Car Off But If You Plan On Showing For Like An Hr Or More Then Your Gonna Need A Charger Of The Xs Wegiht Of Many Batteries Which Btw Are Way Heavier Than The Stock The Solution Id Use Liek A Stated Above Is Just Keep The Bass Toned Down If Your Gonna Be Paing Itfor Long Times And Have A Voltage Meter Bulit Into Your System Or Use The Dash One And Keep It Above 10.5 Constant For A Start
Old 11-29-2003, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ok so basically teh car battery should be able to handle it? my system is nothing special i think imjust paranoid, it hasn't shown any problems, i had a flickering light problem but that came from a problem i had fixed when i got the car, something with one of the belts i was told...luckily a friend owns a shop so he fixed it for no charge so i trust he did the right thing...other than that i guess im just paranoid. i had a moostang before this, modded it up to hell, couldn't stand it, bought my 98 z, i still get all giddy like a school girl when i get behind the wheel, especially when i get to purge the lines then its like a cargasm. lol.
thank sfor the help guys.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:56 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no reason you need to get a new battery unless you plan on running your bottle warmer, amps, etc when the car is off.
When the car is on you're alternator is powering your accessories. I have a 2000+ watt system plus all of the things you have on your car in mine with the standard battery and alternator.

The only thing I would suggest is a good quality power cap. the power cap will get rid of the lights dimming when you have all of your accessories going and the bass hits hard. (basically it is a small battery)
Old 11-30-2003, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok cool then i should be ok, i was just worried. I appreciate the info fellas, that power cap sounds like a good idea. I think the guy at bestbuy (when i was asking him about the battery and such) recommended one of those. I didnt have any cash on hand at the time so i just sort of ignored him lol. but thanks for the info guys.
Travis
Old 11-30-2003, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by slik98z
ok cool then i should be ok, i was just worried. I appreciate the info fellas, that power cap sounds like a good idea. I think the guy at bestbuy (when i was asking him about the battery and such) recommended one of those. I didnt have any cash on hand at the time so i just sort of ignored him lol. but thanks for the info guys.
Travis

Yeah ...Goto a good car audio place and pick out the best one there. Write down the model number and goto EBay. I bought most of my car audio stuff from ebay back when I was working in the car audio department of PC Richards (for those of you not from NY, it's basically just like a best buy).
I saved literally thousands off of the COST price that I would've gotten it for had I purchased it while being an employee.

Ebay = for all car audio stuff.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

yea hes definately got the right idea except im a bir sketchy about e-bay in my expirence you can get just as good of a deal and buy form a reputable vendor by going to yahoo and usig their shopping tab to search online vendors for tyhe item you want and even sort the vendors by lowest price! its alot safer and just as cheep in most cases with no hassle of an auction. if your not sure waht to get id go to a local specitaly shop not a chain like best buy cause their guys usally dont know **** (i know i worked with abunch of guys that werent too bright) the istall bay can be the only exception and make sure that you buy the same model for a silmar model cause sometimnes you will get ripped off online if your not careful in what item you actually bought espically with e-bay you can get referbed stuff, honestly when i was first starting out what i did was shop crutchfield and sounddomain.com for the items li liked and then weht to yahooo to find em cheeper whats even more crays is sounddomain will beat their own prices thru yahoo sometimes by a larg margin over shopping it on their web site for example when i bought my rf 550x amp for my highs the yahoo price for soundomain was 30% cheeper(than if i would have just went to sounddomain.com and bought it !!! and free shipping which made it the best deal espically beacouse you get to keep your warrenty if you buy thru them vurses e-bay sales. finally for caps i just have to say the rockford power caps are a good buy also buying one thats digatlly controlled makes for a hassle free install and removal and are safer in case of malfunction also i usally buy at least 1 farad for every 500 watts rms to be completly covered, even though anything will help as of now im not even using mon on my 1500 rms but i do plann on doing 3-1 farat caps sometime i just keep on being sidetracked by peformance stuff good luck and shoot me a mial iof you need help ive been buying stuff for years and will save alot by spending the time regardless of what the retail stores say belive me i use to work there, they hAve a massive markup at all of em!!!!
Old 11-30-2003, 04:05 PM

Yah I agree with most of the stuff you were saying.

Ebay is great as long as you pay attention to what you are getting. Make sure the auction says somethin like "brand new in a box" etc ... Ebay has a fraud research department that you can goto if you get something that is not as advertised.

Also, if you pay via paypal, you can get their extended warranty (it's usually only a couple bucks) ... and they will refund your entire purchase price (including shipping) if you decide to return the item. Basically it's a guaranteed return policy, even if the seller says No refunds.

As long as you are careful you will be fine. I have purchased thousands of dollars of merch on ebay and never had a problem.