General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How many of us are using dorman regulators and motors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of us are using dorman regulators and motors?

I work for advance auto parts in jupiter florida and I was curious how many guys have replaced their motor and regulators with a dorman part? It's got a lifetime warranty which is better then the delco offers, I would just like to know your standpoint on the dorman regulator and motor. I can get my cheap because I get a discount LOL. And it is easier to just get the whole thing instead of just the motor? Also would I be wasting my time by just changing out the motor and regulator without purchasing the autotrix kit? I have a feeling if I just replace the reg and motor I'd still have the same problem with the driver side window. Let me know what you guys think please
Oh and if you guys have ever had problems with them.

Thanks
Matt
Old 09-13-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a dorman motor! bought 2 replaced driver side 2years ago, no problems so far, but I have a spare to do the passenger side when that starts to go or if the driver side fails again.
didn't get the autotrix I was quoted way to much on shipping to the UK for what it is, eg weight.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok it's just annoying pulling into parking garages having to open the door to get the ticket then getting back into the car, and trying to pay for tolls on florida's turnpike when me and my fiancee go to panthers games LOL. And when it rains out
Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your regulators are probably fine. Just need a motor. Leave the regulators in the door, use the shoebox method to replace the motor. Trust me on this, I did the whole removing the regulator from the door thing and it SUCKED. Ended up tweaking it a little too so it doesn't move smoothly anymore
Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Trust me on this, I did the whole removing the regulator from the door thing and it SUCKED.
Yea, it does. I had to replace the regulator on mine, and it was a huge PITA. Use screws for the new motor, and make sure you use lock washers and loctite.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the auto parts game and I've heard on many occasions that Dorman window motors & regulators are poor quality.

Personally, I would stay away from them.

Take it as 4th hand info. The F body ones might be o.k.