General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

So I'm doing the VATS bypass today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm doing the VATS bypass today.

Anything I should be worried about? Actually I'm having a friend do it it took 3 trys to start my cars it's gotten worse then before.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Very basic if you have a writeup and a photo of the wires or atleast a good knowledge of the wires under there.

Make sure the resistance is correct on your bypass and you'll run fine for years. I'm proof of that.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my vats took a dump on me last month, very easy fix but you lose the security feature the vats provides. what probably happened is one of the wires going from your ignition tumbler to the vats computer has broken, usually around the tilt in the steering column. frequently tilting the steering wheel weakens the wires at this point causing them to break. you have to know the resistance of your key chip, just use an ohm meter to find this. go to radio shack and find the resistance capacitor that matches your key (i think you have a 10% margin for error here) you may have to solder a couple together to get it right. then go under your dash around the steering column and look for a black electrical connector with 4 wires, 2 in and 2 out. i think for my car it had orange wires going in and purple coming out but i could very well be wrong. find a way to permanently fix the resistance capacitor to the side going AWAY from the steering wheel. this fools the vats computer into thinking the key is in. from my experience there is no 10 minute wait after the vats has disabled the car, i know this because it takes a few tries to get the capacitor set in the terminals just right and the only way to check it is to try and start the car, so don't worry about that. ive had my vats bypassed for about a month and no issues at all. hope this helps
Old 09-17-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the usual problem with vats is the chip in the key, they get worn out from being inserted into the tumbler. and if you keep your keys in your pocket the can add to the wear and tear. ive had cars with the vats disabled yes i had no problems, but if its just a key.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

I made my VATS into a true kill switch since now the real VATS no longer works. . . . .

Flip the switch, bypass is on - Flip it back the car will not start. . . . Hidden real well also. . . . . . .
Old 09-18-2009, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

the problem with the vats is the lock cylinder. Take an ohm meter measure the resistance in the key. Go to radio shack and buy some resistors {it might take a couple to make the right value} and splice them in.

Done this several times