Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 wont shift into 3rd at Wot

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 wont shift into 3rd at Wot

hey guys, I just recently bought a 2000 camaro z28. It runs perfect except when racing it doesn't seem to want to go into 3rd. When the rpms are high it just grinds and leaves me in neutral. When driving normally the shift into 3rd is perfect.

you can imagine the embarrassment when I'm being beat by a 250hp car.
So I'm wondering if you guys can help me out with this issue. the only thing I can think of is skip shift may be doing this, but to be honestly I really haven't got the slightest clue.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip shift only is 1st to 4th gear. Put your car in 1st gear on flat ground and rev it to redline....if it moves at all your clutch is not disengaging. A tick master cylinder would fix that issue.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calicuttc
hey guys, I just recently bought a 2000 camaro z28. It runs perfect except when racing it doesn't seem to want to go into 3rd. When the rpms are high it just grinds and leaves me in neutral. When driving normally the shift into 3rd is perfect.

you can imagine the embarrassment when I'm being beat by a 250hp car.
So I'm wondering if you guys can help me out with this issue. the only thing I can think of is skip shift may be doing this, but to be honestly I really haven't got the slightest clue.
FYI skip shift is not going to affect anything at WOT. I am no trans expert, but I am sure its your synchros or maybe a shift fork. I wouldn't think its your master cylinder since its only happening in 3rd gear.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

I am having the same problem at the track no 3rd gear at wot. I was told i need to do the drill mod. They told me after second gear the fluid cant return fast enough and its like not having a clutch. I am going to be doing the drill mod this week. Hopfully this will cure my problem.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chevyhank
I am having the same problem at the track no 3rd gear at wot. I was told i need to do the drill mod. They told me after second gear the fluid cant return fast enough and its like not having a clutch. I am going to be doing the drill mod this week. Hopfully this will cure my problem.
That could be the case as well. When I went to the track with the stock set up everything would be fine in 1st and 2nd, but by the time 3rd came around the pedal would be stuck to the ground and it would be tough to get into 3rd.

The drill mod is kind of a hit or miss thing.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 AM

well my clutch isnt sticking to the ground.
In fact a good mechanic friend of mine got in and ran it just perfect.
He told me the stock shifter sucks for racing since many ppl. want to slam it into gear. If you don't ease it into 3rd then more the likely its not gonna go.
he recommended a 5.0 pro shifter which is designed to eliminate that pesky 2nd to 3rd shift.
Is this guy about right?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prob worn syncos
Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chevyhank

BEFORE you do that...do this:

Go out, and SLOWLY accelerate your car...get it into 2nd gear...wait a couple/few seconds, THEN floor it, and try and grab 3rd. If car STILL does not go into gear, it is NOT your MC, and is more than likely a tranny problem.
If it goes into 3rd gear, than chances are it IS your MC. Do this SAME THING 4-5 times to rule out all variables...

Originally Posted by Juicy J
That could be the case as well. When I went to the track with the stock set up everything would be fine in 1st and 2nd, but by the time 3rd came around the pedal would be stuck to the ground and it would be tough to get into 3rd.

The drill mod is kind of a hit or miss thing.
Do what I just said above...