Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Upgrade LT1 T/A fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade LT1 T/A fog lights?

One of my fog lights went out on my 96 t/a, are there any simple upgrades out there?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

In other words, any different bulbs I can use?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when one of mine went out i went to AZ and got a pair of bulbs that i don't remember what they were. i know they weren't silverstars but they were stock wattage and seemed brighter than stock. if you get a higher wattage bulb you will have wiring and housing issues from what i've heard. the only way to upgrade the lights is with new housings and probably wiring too.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I got some brighter bulbs at a discount parts store too. They gave off a whiter light like my Silverstar headlights (I converted my headlights by modifying a Eurolights kit). I don't remember the brand-name, but they didn't last much longer than the standard issue bulbs. Not that the standard issue bulbs ever lasted very long on my car to begin with.....
Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I got some brighter bulbs at a discount parts store too. They gave off a whiter light like my Silverstar headlights (I converted my headlights by modifying a Eurolights kit). I don't remember the brand-name, but they didn't last much longer than the standard issue bulbs. Not that the standard issue bulbs ever lasted very long on my car to begin with.....
how long do they normally last. my last pair was there for AT LEAST 3.5 years. I say at least because i bought the car 3.5 years before one went out and i have no idea how old the bulbs actually were. I keep my fog switch turned on all the time so any time my headlights are up my fogs are on and sometimes at dusk will drive with just the fogs on until i absolutely need the headlights.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

1995blacktatop, mine were still working when I yanked them off my 2000 T/A this weekend - same usage pattern as what you described. I decided I had it with the 27w dim fogs and am installing 55w Hella 90mm fog lamps. A friend helpd me fabricate new mountings reusing the original brackets and now all I need is a few hours to remove the bumper, install the lights and wiring harness, and I will be good to go. I will post project pics on a new thread once I am done.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

BTW, I will be putting my OEM fog lights up for sale as soon as I have time. No brackets included, just the light fixture and bulbs, all in good working order. If you want a simple replacement unit, PM me.

Quick Reply: Upgrade LT1 T/A fog lights?