Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

transmission stuck to engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy transmission stuck to engine

I removed 8 bellhousing to engine bolts. Triple checked and could not find any more bolts. It seems to be stuck on the dowel pins. Has anyone else had this problem before ? This is on a M6.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by morrissmck
I removed 8 bellhousing to engine bolts. Triple checked and could not find any more bolts. It seems to be stuck on the dowel pins. Has anyone else had this problem before ? This is on a M6.
That can't be right. If you lift on the tail of the transmission it should flex. If not there is either another bolt in the very top that is a SOB to get to, or you will need to just play with it alittle to break it free.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

first time pulling it apart? you'll get that
I always use a pry bar, or even a flat blade screw driver and gently work it on both sides to push it away, and then slowly work it back, both sides just a bit at a time

the dowl pins are on the bellhousing into the trans, you sure you unbolted the trans or the bellhousing?

incase you do this again, sand down the dowl pins before putting everything back together.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
first time pulling it apart? you'll get that
I always use a pry bar, or even a flat blade screw driver and gently work it on both sides to push it away, and then slowly work it back, both sides just a bit at a time

the dowl pins are on the bellhousing into the trans, you sure you unbolted the trans or the bellhousing?

incase you do this again, sand down the dowl pins before putting everything back together.
Also if this is your first time you will need to be extremely careful with the slave cylinder! Don't just try ripping the tranny down. Unbolt the slave cylinder then lower it. I believe it is only two bolts that are either 8mm or 10mm. Also do yourself a favor and buy a miti-vac to bleed the hydraulic system when you are done.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you take the trans off the bell first?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Teching In

This is the first time coming apart. Is it normal to pull the trans without the bellhousing ? I've always pulled as an assembly. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You can pull it without the Bell Housing..that's how I do it. You may have to get a small Pry Bar and break it loose.

Originally Posted by Redta00
Also if this is your first time you will need to be extremely careful with the slave cylinder! Don't just try ripping the tranny down. Unbolt the slave cylinder then lower it. I believe it is only two bolts that are either 8mm or 10mm.
That's for the LT1 T56.. you won't be able to get to the Slave with the LS T56.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

You can get to the slave, but thats why you need to unbolt the trans from the bellhousing first, pull back the trans a bit, and reach in with an 8mm
Old 09-15-2009, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

As long as you disconnect it the LS Slave can come off with the Tranny with no issues.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Yup, mine was a major PITA. Pull the tranny off the bell housing first, makes manuvering things a bit easier. Your bell housing is stuck because you probably have some corrosion built up on the bellhousing dowles. Mine were horrible, make sure you have all the bolts out and try to pry it off everywhere you can a little at a time. My passenger side was really stuck, dont pry all in one area at a time or you might crack the housing. good luck
Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. Finally got it apart. Sanded the dowel pin holes alittle. Maqde it awole lot easier putting back in. Now the problem is the slave is not disengaging fully. I've bled a big bolttle of brake fluid through it and still can't shift into gear with the engine running. I can get a good feel on the peddle, but as soon as engine is running, loose peddle. Going to try and bleed some more.

Quick Reply: transmission stuck to engine