Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossthreaded alternator bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crossthreaded alternator bolt

When i installed my alternator last time, it apparantly wasnt perfectly lined up and one of the bolts pulled the threads out. I can no longer torque it to spec. What is the best way to fix this? This shouldnt be too bad of a bolt to fix as there is average accessibility.

Someone suggested just putting a few strands of solder in the threads and it might allow me to torque it down.

Currently i torqued it as best as i could and jbwelded the head of the bolt to the hole so it wouldnt turn out. Its worked for a week, but i really cant be driving like this anymore.

I think it would work if i jbwelded the threads and retapped it, but i dont have the correct tap and don't know where to get one from.

Im guessing helicoil is the best option, but how will i get the right size and everything?

Any other options? Whats the best way to do it?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drill and tap new threads for a heilicoil.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Helicoil - figure out what size the bolt threads are (take it with you when you get the helicoil), and just follow the directions on the package. It'll tell you the size of drill bit needed and will come with the tap needed - drill and tap the hole to the larger size, and then thread the insert in place.

Obviously you'll need enough room to work to get a drill and tap in there. That is usually the hardest part.