Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

strange sound comming from the rear end?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default strange sound comming from the rear end?

so my SS has been getting a bit noisy recently and i dont know what it could be... when turning at low speed or going over typical irregularities in the road i get the normal squeeks and rattles (much of this i can blame on my bmr panhard bar i think) but now i have a new noise. it only happens if say im slowing down for a stop sign or red ligh. i get a rattle and slight vibration in the rear end when i brake without downshifting, if i downshift duing the brake it is quiet and smooth. ive checked the rear brakes and suspension components and everything is tight and looks to be in good condition. Any ideas?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, it was a broken exhaust clamp rattling when slowing down from vibrations. Weird i know.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

at the title
Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

I have the same thing, I changed my rotors and breaks and it did not help. Also a friends 2000 formula sounds the same when braking. Its a rattle from the rear. I had my rear end checked for damage but it was in perfect condition. It would be great if I could figure out what it was.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another suggestion. Check your lower control arm bushings and make sure that they are not shot. And look into the hardware as well.
Hope that helps
Brad
Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Could someone take a picture of a lower rear control arm bushing on there car and circle it for me? I see install guides but nothing every pointing out where the bushing actually is. There is a popping out and cracked thing that looks like a bushing on my firehawk but when I pointed it out at a local f body performance shop to find the source of my noise, I was told that LCA's do not make noise and that was not where the sound was comming from.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Teching In

what i would do is take it to the shop and make sure its not your rear end just to be on the safe side. Cuz i similar problem like u and i kept driving on it and one day my rear end blew out completely.. Im not saying thats your problem but its always good to get it checked but a shop so they can catch the problem early before it gets worst. Spending more money one time is better then saving money on cheap repairs and ending up spending more money.

Search this Thread