Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Firehawk SZ50 EP Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Firehawk SZ50 EP Tire Question

Hi, I have a question regarding a brand new set of Firehawk SZ50 EP tires that are brand new (never mounted) but are 6 years old that are for sale. I'm not too familiar if tires have a shelf life or not. Could anyone answer the question if these would be okay or could there be issues after putting them to use after 6 years of sitting? Thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes tires do have shelf life but its also how they were stored. some poeple have tires that are 10-15 years old. i dont know how safe those tires are, because from what i have heard is that they weaken over time.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They've been stored in a warehouse in Indiana, so I'd guess they had exposure to both freezing cold and hot/humid temps. They want $500 for the set which is a good price. Haven't seen them in person but they do have the original Firestone stickers on them. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

$500 might be a good price for "new" tires, but remember you're buying New Old Stock, not "new." You're assuming the risk that they haven't aged poorly. Factor that into your price. Six years old, you're probably safe, but for those I'd probably only use them on a show car like a Firehawk. I'd get some new tires that haven't been sitting on a shelf for my daily driver.