Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Kits, Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Kits, Good or Bad

I was on my way to going the stall, shift kit, trans cooler route that most people take; but today I read the yank site faq page and it said that a shift kit isnt needed for max performance and that its actually bad.

Is a shift kit required or recommended?
10. Yank Performance Converters can achieve maximum performance and efficiency without the use of shift kits. Shift kits dramatically raise transmission line pressure to increase shift firmness. Increased shift firmness will not increase performance, but create unnecessary stress on the transmission and other drive-line components.
Straight from the yank website. I know most guys go with a shift kit for harders shifts but if there is no actual gain in ET I was wondering if it was worth the trouble, and how many guys have smoked the tranny after installing a shift kit?

Has anyone ever done a A B comparison of ET with a car that had no shift kit to one that does have a shift kit?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Trans go shift kit allows for a firm crisp shift with little "slop" in the shift. I personally like it.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think all they are saying is a shift kit isnt necessarily needed. The computer controlled tansmissions you can adjust the line pressures through the tune. As we know you cant do this with all transmissions. Id put one in as part of an overall upgrade if I had to have one rebuilt. I think some have the misconception you need a shift kit when you get a converter, which is why they likley have it in thier FAQs.

I went the route they suggested with my original 60e, convertor with tuned line pressures. Worked fine, just burned it up quick, was a stock rebuilt 60e with a shift kit nothing fancy.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had issues with electronic line pressure and now run a vacuum modulated transmission w/ a shift kit. I'm much happier.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I love the trans go shift kit. Everybody I take for a ride ***** there pants on the 1-2 shift lol.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

i installed a transgo 4L60e HD2 reprogramming kit. i already like it even with my tm still on the car once i get that removed im sure ill love it. then im taking it to the track to see if it does help lower my ET. i was having problems with my tranny shifting whenever it wanted wen i ran the gears but now that i have the shift kit installed it'll stay in whatever gear i want till i make it shift.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
I was on my way to going the stall, shift kit, trans cooler route that most people take; but today I read the yank site faq page and it said that a shift kit isnt needed for max performance and that its actually bad.

Straight from the yank website. I know most guys go with a shift kit for harders shifts but if there is no actual gain in ET I was wondering if it was worth the trouble, and how many guys have smoked the tranny after installing a shift kit?

Has anyone ever done a A B comparison of ET with a car that had no shift kit to one that does have a shift kit?
Actually, raising line pressure isn't necessary in all applications, and is optional with "shift kits". Raising the line pressure is not what shift kits purely do, or are designed to do. A good shift kit will help optimize accumulation.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just had a shiftkit put in while my tranny was out for my tc install. LOVE it. the 1-2 is amazing and it firmed up my 2-3 quite a bit. i wont look back from this mod, its a great idea especially if you plan on install in a tc then or later.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
I had issues with electronic line pressure and now run a vacuum modulated transmission w/ a shift kit. I'm much happier.
Is this a fancy way to say you went to a A3, TH350 or TH400?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
Is this a fancy way to say you went to a A3, TH350 or TH400?
There is a conversion for the 4l60 to use a vac modulator
Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

MelScrilla - Nope, I am still running a 4l65e (4l60e). Its was recently refreshed by Vince at FLT to level 5 spec.

Pwebbz28 - Yes. I think the modulator alone is ~$260? Check with your transmission builders.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

I had my tranny shop custom build me my shift kit...love it!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

It is unfortunate that Yank's web site words it that way. A good shift kit (a.k.a. TransGo HD2) does so much more than that.
In my application, the transmission was slipping on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts (after the installation of the turbo). It tightened up the shifts, no more slippage, made the shifts faster under WOT conditions, and was as smooth as stock under partial throttle. All without increasing line pressure.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
i just had a shiftkit put in while my tranny was out for my tc install. LOVE it. the 1-2 is amazing and it firmed up my 2-3 quite a bit. i wont look back from this mod, its a great idea especially if you plan on install in a tc then or later.
Did the same and totally agree.
It is unfortunate that Yank's web site words it that way. A good shift kit (a.k.a. TransGo HD2) does so much more than that.
Agree. The shift kit has mechanical advantages that can't be duplicated by tuning.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Any of you DIY's install the shift kit yourself? I'm planning on doing it as long as stock one holds up long enough. Just got my ss3600 in and WOW!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

i installed mine in the garage with a jack and jack stands. not to hard to do transgo gives very good instructions and there tech support is GREAT. the only thing that gave us trouble was the cushion spring you have to replace thats on the side of the tranny...pain in the butt. other than that it went smoothly. dont need any special tools just make sure you have some sockets, wratchet, flat tip screwdriver, snap ring pliers and for me...a hammer to beat my floor board to get that darn cushion spring out.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

i just took mine to a shop instead so he could kinda look over the tranny and make sure everything was alright, he acutally found on the plate that where the ball bearing slam against to make the shifts happen was starting to wear and repaired that while he had it. im glad i took it to someone

Quick Reply: Shift Kits, Good or Bad