Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BOV @ Idle ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BOV @ Idle ??

Ok, so I read ALOT of conflicting info on this subject.....

On a Turbo car, should the BOV be open at all at a base idle?

At first I assumed it would stay shut at idle and crack just during decel, but I also see alot of guys say that at idle it should be open and air blowing out? One or the other must not be set up correctly...

Keep in mind this is a Turbo application....

What are the FACTS?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i would also like to know, and being that im running a 2 bar SD tune, i cant start my car to test any of this stuff i took a mity-vac and put it on the BOV and adjusted it so it starts to open at 15" which is what my motor idles at. hopefully that will get me close enough for dyno time
Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At idle you'll be in vacuum so there should be no air blowing out of it. It should be open and sucking in.when you hit boost it will push the bov closed and pressurize your intake piping, then when you let off the vaccum in your vaccum line sucks it open and relievs pressure.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's open at idle...which is also suppose to help turbo spool up faster too
Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Curious if this is the case on a BOV on a Procharged car as well. Should it be blowing air out at idle, or just under decel and at faster engine speeds, such as while cruising.

Mine chirps at steady cruise and whoooshes at decel. At idle, it is not venting anything.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Depends on the setup....if the BOV is after the air meter sensor, the bov will have to be closed at isle otherwise unmetered air is being let out of the charge pipes with the bov being open at idle, causing a rich condition, idle surge and will probably stall out.

if the bov is before the air meter sensor, it doesn't matter because what ever has escaped the charge pipe with the open bov is not taken into account until it gets to the air meter...so the ECU compensates for it

the lighter the spring the better reaction time it will have, blower guys need it open at idle (and part throttle cruising) to avoid pumping losses and making positive pressure at idle
Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TiAL
Depends on the setup....if the BOV is after the air meter sensor, the bov will have to be closed at isle otherwise unmetered air is being let out of the charge pipes with the bov being open at idle, causing a rich condition, idle surge and will probably stall out.

if the bov is before the air meter sensor, it doesn't matter because what ever has escaped the charge pipe with the open bov is not taken into account until it gets to the air meter...so the ECU compensates for it

the lighter the spring the better reaction time it will have, blower guys need it open at idle (and part throttle cruising) to avoid pumping losses and making positive pressure at idle
True...True.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
Curious if this is the case on a BOV on a Procharged car as well. Should it be blowing air out at idle, or just under decel and at faster engine speeds, such as while cruising.

Mine chirps at steady cruise and whoooshes at decel. At idle, it is not venting anything.
My d1sc moves a decent amount of air *out* of the blow-off at idle.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Interesting observation...

SO...I still see contradicting answers here...some say closed some say open. I could see especially on a Procharged setup it needing to be open due to such positive displacement of the charger...but at idle does a Turbo move enough air that it needs to be released by the BOV?

Maybe a sponsor that builds turbo applications often could chime in?....

Last edited by LS1Silverado05; 09-16-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Interesting observation...

SO...I still see contradicting answers here...some say closed some say open. I could see especially on a Procharged setup it needing to be open due to such positive displacement of the charger...but at idle does a Turbo move enough air that it needs to be released by the BOV?

Maybe a sponsor that builds turbo applications often could chime in?....
on a turbo application, no it doesn't need to be open at idle
Old 09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

on a turbo application, no it doesn't need to be open at idle
Thats what I was wondering since technically some guys have even gone without a BOV (I wouldnt, but I know its been done)...

So Im starting to assume it will WORK either way....but maybe a certain way is better?....There are obviously guys running open and closed both...

This seems way harder than it has to be...LOL
Old 09-16-2009, 11:24 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always under the impression a BOV is supposed to be closed at all times except when it sees a sudden surge of backpressure, then it is supposed to open to release the air built up in the system on decel. A BOV is for turbo applications for this reason that turbos won't create positive pressure at lower (idle) speeds.

A BPV is supposed to be open at all times unless under boost to allow the system to pressurize, and then open once the throttle is let up which causes the system to go back into vacuum. This is for supercharged cars primarily, but can be used for turbo cars as well.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thats what I was wondering since technically some guys have even gone without a BOV (I wouldnt, but I know its been done)...

So Im starting to assume it will WORK either way....but maybe a certain way is better?....There are obviously guys running open and closed both...

This seems way harder than it has to be...LOL
you're over thinking

if air meter is before the bov - bov needs to be closed at idle
if air meter is after the bov - it doesn't matter

one is not better than the other as long as the BOV is functioning
Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I was always under the impression a BOV is supposed to be closed at all times except when it sees a sudden surge of backpressure, then it is supposed to open to release the air built up in the system on decel. A BOV is for turbo applications for this reason that turbos won't create positive pressure at lower (idle) speeds.

A BPV is supposed to be open at all times unless under boost to allow the system to pressurize, and then open once the throttle is let up which causes the system to go back into vacuum. This is for supercharged cars primarily, but can be used for turbo cars as well.
This might be a key mix up. People calling the BPV and BOV the same part but different end goals for two different applications...

It will be irrelevant on my car as far as the metered air as I will be tuned in SD...

Last edited by LS1Silverado05; 09-16-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

but at idle does a Turbo move enough air that it needs to be released by the BOV?
Yes. I don't know about other turbo's, but my MPT76 has a good amount of air it is pushing at idle. I have been told this is a sign of a effecient setup. And Yes, my JGS blowoff valve stays open with air swooshing out and of coarse when the throttle is opened the valve shuts.

You need to keep in mind vacuum is what keeps the valve open (sucking) and it shuts when positive is applied. Another way to test it is disconnect the vacuum hose going to the blow-off valve and watch it shut. Thats why you see alot, if not all, running a MAF they have the blowoff valve before the MAF.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

This thread certainly proves my point...we have people saying Open sucking air IN, Open blowing air OUT, Closed at idle period.... Etc Etc
Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a MAF tune, it really shouldnt matter if its sucking air in thru the BOV/ BPV or blowing excess air out, the point is, the metered air that has gone thru the MAF will not be the same as whats going into the engine as expected by the computer if the valve is after the MAF. So just to keep things on par, if you are running a MAF tune, put the valve BEFORE the MAF measures it.

And BTW, I don't really see any way of air being drawn IN to the intake tract thru a BOV or BPV, it should be spewing excess air OUT of it..
Old 09-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
And BTW, I don't really see any way of air being drawn IN to the intake tract thru a BOV or BPV, it should be spewing excess air OUT of it..
it is, you are on the pressure only side of the throttle body
Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Vcious04
I agree 100%
how does a blow off valve work
OFF VACUUM!!!!! if the car is at idle or decel their will be vacuum on the the throttle body and if you have a vacuum line going to the bov it will pull it open in less you have the spring in the BOV way to tight
Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

IN my opinion the bov should be before the intercooler if you have one, that way you dont heat soak the intercooler with the charged air thats being blowed right back out when not under boost

Quick Reply: BOV @ Idle ??