Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Unloading At Launch..? (Vids)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Suspension Unloading At Launch..? (Vids)

I finally got some vids from the last track day (last Friday). From the videos it looks like the suspension is being hit too hard, then unloading but I am no expert. I need some suspension guru's to validate my suspicions. All I see are the tires getting planted, then spinning when the body comes down (squating?).

My best 60' times of the night were between 1.74 and 1.76, launching between 4000 and 4400. Anything more than that and it just spun hard (even harder than these). Anything less and it bogged hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NumUjc5wjwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMlXirzteQE

Please tell me what you think guys.

Mike
Old 09-16-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of shocks are you using in the rear
Old 09-16-2009, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

The rear shocks are Competition Engineering drag shocks set on 50/50.

Mike
Old 09-16-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

are you on a slick or radial and what tire pressure were you running
Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

what shocks do you have on the front...........if adjustable what settings are you running??

Some run the shocks too loose and the front comes up and transfers the weight, but then comes back down as fast as it came up............you are better off getting a steady transfer of weight instead of all of it coming up at one time.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chvypwr31
are you on a slick or radial and what tire pressure were you running
Tires are bias ply 26/10.50/15 MT ET Streets @ 14psi. They're not screwed to the rims so I didn't know if I could run them lower than 14 or not?

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
what shocks do you have on the front...........if adjustable what settings are you running??

Some run the shocks too loose and the front comes up and transfers the weight, but then comes back down as fast as it came up............you are better off getting a steady transfer of weight instead of all of it coming up at one time.
Billsteins are up front.

The car is lowered about 1.75" and I have a Spohn tunnel mounted torque arm. Right now I'm thinking that since the car is lowered, it's putting the instant center too close to the center of the car (torque arm is pointing downward). I've fabricated some new plates for the front of the torque arm to move the front of the arm up ^^ to compensate for the lowered chassis. I just wanted to know if I was on the right track by doing so?

Here are the new plates I made.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 09-16-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I think the springs are jus' as important as the shocks. From what I understand, you want to run a longer/softer spring. Being lowered 1.75" doesn't help transfer weight accordingly. If launching on a set of soft springs, the rear squats easier while at the same time the soft springs up front are lifting up the front end. If you still have your stock springs, jus' swap in the rears and see if you feel any improvement or bid on a set of V6 springs for the rear.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's an example: Picture the springs handling the launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuKiV...eature=related
Old 09-16-2009, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I think the springs are jus' as important as the shocks. From what I understand, you want to run a longer/softer spring. Being lowered 1.75" doesn't help transfer weight accordingly. If launching on a set of soft springs, the rear squats easier while at the same time the soft springs up front are lifting up the front end. If you still have your stock springs, jus' swap in the rears and see if you feel any improvement or bid on a set of V6 springs for the rear.
I watched and rewound that launch of the car you posted about 15 times and I didn't see the rearend squat at all.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you DON'T want the rear to squat. Weight transfer, yes, but not at the expense of having the rearend squat down. When the suspension squats in the rear, it's actually the axle pushing up away from the ground and unloading the tires. I thought the ideal situation is to have the tires being driven into the ground, actually raising the rear of the car, as long as the tire can hold it.

Mike
Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 AM
9 Second Club

a bigger tire would help. your car is just killing those 26s

what spring in the rear?
id put it back to stock and try that a few times
Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

I don't see the car transferring the weight very well. How easy does the front of the car come up when you pick up on it? Do you have the LCA relocation brackets?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tomz28
a bigger tire would help. your car is just killing those 26s

what spring in the rear?
id put it back to stock and try that a few times
I'd like to go with a bigger tire eventually, but for now I'd like to work with the 26's. There are lot's of guys getting much better 60's than me with these same 26 inch ET Streets. Springs are stock/cut on the front and back.

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
I don't see the car transferring the weight very well. How easy does the front of the car come up when you pick up on it? Do you have the LCA relocation brackets?
The front doesn't come up easily. Mostly due to the Billsein shocks in the front. I do have the LCA relocation brackets with the arms in the bottom hole. Angle is about 2.5 degrees without me in the car. With me in the car it's probably around 2 degrees.

Here's a rundown of the car and suspension:

6sp w/Monster Level III
9" with 3.89's and detroit locker
Airbag in PS rear (11 psi on these runs)
Spohn Tunnel Mount torque arm
Spohn Adj LCA's
Spohn Relocation Brackets (bottom hole)
CE Drag Shocks on 50/50 setting
Weld-in SFC's
6pt Rollbar
Stock cut springs front/rear
Billstein front shocks
BMR Kmember
No front sway bar
Moderate weight reduction
MT ET Streets 26/10.50/15 (bias) 15x8 Weld Prostars
Skinnies up front 15x4 Weld Prostars

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 09-17-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see hardly any weight transfer happening.

You dont want the rear to squat much, if at all.

What is your front end setup? Have you already done the simple stuff like unbolting the front sway bar.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
I dont see hardly any weight transfer happening.

You dont want the rear to squat much, if at all.

What is your front end setup? Have you already done the simple stuff like unbolting the front sway bar.
I just edited the post above yours to give a rundown of the car's suspension.

So am I the only one who thinks that changing the instant center to the front of the car should make a good improvement?

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 09-17-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

I would put some adjustable shocks on the front... might as well go coilovers while you are at it.

The instant center change may make a tiny difference, but you still aren't transfering any weight.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Man I thought changing the IC would make a dramatic difference and would also help with weight transfer. I just don't have the funds for the front shocks yet. Probably have to wait until next year for those.

How low of tire pressure can I run with these MT's without worrying about spinning the rim inside the tire? I was running 14psi (hot) on these runs.

Mike
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Man I thought changing the IC would make a dramatic difference and would also help with weight transfer. I just don't have the funds for the front shocks yet. Probably have to wait until next year for those.

How low of tire pressure can I run with these MT's without worrying about spinning the rim inside the tire? I was running 14psi (hot) on these runs.

Mike
I know you already know most of this, but here is MADMANS explanation of instant center. Its basicly for small adjustments. In your case i think there are larger issues at hand.

Originally Posted by MADMAN
I have been asked about what instant center is so here we go.

The instant center of a T/A car is the line you draw from the lower control arm mounting point on the housing through the front mounting point of the lcas. Then draw a line down the center of your T/A from the rearend to the front of the car. Where these lines cross is your instant center.

The farther back and higher the instant center is the faster ther tires plant BUT the quicker they unload. Most fast cars want an instant center of long and low on these cars with T/As so that it will plant the tire and KEEP it planted. I have found that moving the instant center 1 inch up will change my 60 ft by 2 hundredths of a second.

As in the bind on the rear of these T/as, this comes from pinion adjustments. On any T/a you have a set measurement from the lower bolt hole on the rear to the upper blot on the rear. When ever you adjust pinion angle by making the lower rod end longer or shorter then you change to measurement from top to bottom. This will cause a bind. This is what tears up rod ends and mounting brackets.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6

Mike
I used to run a set of 26-11.5-15's on a 10" rim, and took them as low as 7-8lbs. I never screwed them, and never seemed to have any noticable issues with spinning them on the rim. I also never ran tubes though, so a tiny bit of rim spin would have been noticed or been a potentially dangerous problem.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cutting the springs isnt helping at all. It completely ruins the way the spring reacts to situations like these. Ive seen some people run the V6 spring in the rear and the stockers in the front.

Either way, get actual lowering springs as they are made to preform at that designed height, stick the stock ones back on or live with the bad 60's.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Yes and thanks man. I've read that thread about 10 times now. I think his statement about changing the IC and only making a couple hundredths difference, was probably referring to a full-on drag car that wasn't lowered and probably already cutting 1.3 60' times. LOL.... His definition of not getting traction doesn't match MY definition of not getting traction if you know what I mean. Madman is on a whole other league than me.

Wow, that low on tire pressure. That means I have lot's of room to work with then since I'm not running tubes either. I just didn't know how low I could get away with before it becomes a dangerous situation. Good info man, I appreciate it.

Mike

Quick Reply: Suspension Unloading At Launch..? (Vids)