Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks or QTP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks or QTP?

So, it's been about 3 years since i've put on my QTP headers. It's emissions time and as I go to install my AIR and EGR, i see that my "emissions ready" longtubes don't match up with the piping. I am gonna be gettin new longtubes and having them professionally installed this time cause last time was way too much of a pain. Hopefully gonna have f-body central install em. Anyways, I do like the QTP's but i've experienced problems with em so I wanna know which out of these two would you guys recommend or if there's an even better alternative. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are both good headers from what I understand. I know kooks is more popular though.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I completely satisfied with my QTP's
Old 09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are other choices as well. Kooks and QTP are no longer the only premium header manufacturers..
Old 09-19-2009, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
There are other choices as well. Kooks and QTP are no longer the only premium header manufacturers..
I was pretty well sold on Kooks for a long time, but when I buy headers, it's going to be American Racing Headers all the way. I've seen the quality and clearance that these headers provide and since they all cost around the same, I'll go with convenience all the time. The QTP's look nice, but their Y-pipe is crap. Kooks are a very close second, but I know of some fitment issues with the 1-7/8" header and I really don't feel like grounding anything.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Have had KooKs for a good while now with no problems in any way shape or form plus they hve some new stuff for FBodys. Good Luck
Old 09-19-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
I was pretty well sold on Kooks for a long time, but when I buy headers, it's going to be American Racing Headers all the way. I've seen the quality and clearance that these headers provide and since they all cost around the same, I'll go with convenience all the time. The QTP's look nice, but their Y-pipe is crap. Kooks are a very close second, but I know of some fitment issues with the 1-7/8" header and I really don't feel like grounding anything.

Good luck.
I'll look into American Racing Headers, and yeah I don't have to worry about QTP's Y-pipe, I have a true dual setup. Thanks for all the input guys, I'll let you know what I end up doing and puttin pics up.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KOOKS and never look back
Old 09-19-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am a previous owner of Kook headers. Switched to ARH and couldn't be happier. The only complaint I have about Kooks is the cheap steel they use. It isn't a clean 304 SS. Mine looked like a crap after a year. They start getting surface rust on spots all over. They wont rust through like mild steel would, but they deffinantly start looking like crap. (on a car that only got driven in the summer time and and was garaged all winter). I contacted George at Kooks about this issue, and he was seemed more than eager to see why they looked so terrible after such a short time. He asked me to send him pictures, and after he saw how they looked, he disapeared and stopped responding to my PM's. That was my cue to call up ARH and order from them. I have pics of the Kooks, but would rather not post because I dont want to rattle any cages..

Last edited by Jimmy P; 09-19-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

I am a previous owner of Kook headers. Switched to ARH and couldn't be happier. The only complaint I have about Kooks is the cheap steel they use. It isn't a clean 304 SS. Mine looked like a crap after a year. They start getting surface rust on spots all over. They wont rust through like mild steel would, but they deffinantly start looking like crap. (on a car that only got driven in the summer time and and was garaged all winter). I contacted George at Kooks about this issue, and he was seemed more than eager to see why they looked so terrible after such a short time. He asked me to send him pictures, and after he saw how they looked, he disapeared and stopped responding to my PM's. That was my cue to call up ARH and order from them. I have pics of the Kooks, but would rather not post because I dont want to rattle any cages..
My QTP's had the same issue. I just figured that's how headers were going to look no matter who you got em from. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Broski, i know how to get around your emmisions. I dont have to do it on my camaro anymore, and ive deleted my AIR and EGR last spring. Hit me up and i can tell you about it.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

My ARH are a couple years old, and don't look amazing anymore. I wouldn't say they look like crap though.

Overall I am happy with my ARH, and would recommend them. I do not have any experience with either of the other companies mentioned.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA

Good luck.
There have been some revisions to the Kooks headers along the way. I have the 1 7/8" x 3" Merged collector to 3" to OEM Off Road Pipe Kooks header system (to Corsa Catback) on my 2002 Z28 and there is not one issue with ground clearence or spark plug access, nor did I have to grind or pound anything to get them to fit. I'm not nocking ARH headers at all, they make a great product, and have been impressed with what they have to offer, but in no way would I say Kooks is any better or worse than ARH or vice versa.

Sound clip. . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRxZsCrSWfI

Last edited by Tuner@Straightline; 09-23-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline
There have been some revisions to the Kooks headers along the way. I have the 1 7/8" x 3" Merged collector to 3" to OEM Off Road Pipe Kooks header system (to Corsa Catback) on my 2002 Z28 and there is not one issue with ground clearence or spark plug access, nor did I have to grind or pound anything to get them to fit. I'm not nocking ARH headers at all, they make a great product, and have been impressed with what they have to offer, but in no way would I say Kooks is any better or worse than ARH or vice versa.

Sound clip. . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRxZsCrSWfI
Thanks! That's good to know. I'm sure it'll come down to price and availability when I'm buying them. Both companies seem to be pretty good and try to take care of their customers.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike do you have a victor jr. on your car, peak power seems really high for a composite style intake. Sweet car and that thing is begging for some gears.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Default it dont matter

it dont matter just tromp the dog snot out of it !!!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Teching In

I have Kooks 1"3/4 with ory, love the performance I get out of them, but my y-pipe bangs the floorboard. Hopfully a mufflex bumpstop will take care of this!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Default dur huh

my favorite brand of headers is the OPEN brand . they are the loudest ones on the market, my friends neighbor had some of them OPEN headers and man it shook the pavement, I mean it scarred the hair off of his cat !!!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Teching In

What up Kevin, time for you to get some headers and run with the big dogs.