Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

carbed and boosted 6.0....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default carbed and boosted 6.0....

I'm about to start gathering the parts for my second motor. I've got an extra 6.0 stock short block and plan on staying with the stock crank. I WILL be getting rods and pistons and this is where it all gets fuzzy. I keep hearing about boosted motors lifting the heads undor heavy pressure. Where's the line seem to be drawn as far as boost levels on stock design 4 bolt heads? I don't mind buying a set of 317 heads or even aftermarket to get the chamber size and shape I want but on say a 9.0 to 1 motor what kind of squeeze would it take. I'll stud the block etc also and use cometic gaskets where needed. I'm just looking for a starting point for a blow through carbed 6.0. Would LOVE to see around 800hp which seems to be very do-able on this combo. Any good info? Oh, and the reason I plan to carb it is because thats what I have now. The car is plumbed with #10 line from the tank and it's easy to swap my pump for a larger/higher capacity pump(the old blue pump will have to go I'm sure) Toss it out there for me to absorb folks!! Thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i have run 14 lbs boost on my 6.0-i am running a carb, Vic Jr intake, and
D1SC Procharger-i am using the 317 heads now, with the GM gaskets
been together about 1 1/2 years-i have made a few passes, a lot of street miles, so far so good-i reused the fact. crank, some cheap ebay forged rods,
and wiseco pistons-my hp range isnt up to what you want, im a little over 500 at the rear wheels-i didnt dyno it at 14 lbs, so prob was a little more, i think it was at 9 lbs when i dynoed it
the proper tune is big, timing, fuel, plugs, etc
Old 09-19-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i have run 14 lbs boost on my 6.0-i am running a carb, Vic Jr intake, and
D1SC Procharger-i am using the 317 heads now, with the GM gaskets
been together about 1 1/2 years-i have made a few passes, a lot of street miles, so far so good-i reused the fact. crank, some cheap ebay forged rods,
and wiseco pistons-my hp range isnt up to what you want, im a little over 500 at the rear wheels-i didnt dyno it at 14 lbs, so prob was a little more, i think it was at 9 lbs when i dynoed it
the proper tune is big, timing, fuel, plugs, etc
What did you run in the 1/4? What is your weight? The reason why I ask is that I have a friend with a nova that we are thinking about putting a 6.0 in and a turbo. His car is a hair above 3000 with an iron headed smallblock.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump... im thinking about doing the the same thing but a d1sc and a 6.0. any more input?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what more info are you looking for?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bygblok
I'm about to start gathering the parts for my second motor. I've got an extra 6.0 stock short block and plan on staying with the stock crank. I WILL be getting rods and pistons and this is where it all gets fuzzy. I keep hearing about boosted motors lifting the heads undor heavy pressure. Where's the line seem to be drawn as far as boost levels on stock design 4 bolt heads? I don't mind buying a set of 317 heads or even aftermarket to get the chamber size and shape I want but on say a 9.0 to 1 motor what kind of squeeze would it take. I'll stud the block etc also and use cometic gaskets where needed. I'm just looking for a starting point for a blow through carbed 6.0. Would LOVE to see around 800hp which seems to be very do-able on this combo. Any good info? Oh, and the reason I plan to carb it is because thats what I have now. The car is plumbed with #10 line from the tank and it's easy to swap my pump for a larger/higher capacity pump(the old blue pump will have to go I'm sure) Toss it out there for me to absorb folks!! Thanks
19 to 20 psi from mine. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12 Bob
Old 11-26-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

i was wondering what forcd ind ran in the 1/4.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

with the old 6.0 i ran a 10.6 @ 126, prob could have pushed it quicker, but its all steel around 3700, not a cut up car, only had a 1.8 60'-i prefer to give up some speed for great streetability-you know, stereo, heat, p/s, p/b's, etc
hoping to go 9's with the new 403, getting the carb close, now all the tracks are closed, lol-i considered switching to FI, but i could build another engine for what it would cost, lol
the old 6.0 looked so good, gonna save it to replace my 4.8 in my truck
if i were gonna redue it again, def a turbo, would love to do one, or twins
Old 11-26-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

so to make any kind of power you have to go forged rods and pistons. that sounds like the setup i want to run time and power wise but i hope to have my car way a bit less then 3700lbs.

did you use the msd to control spark?
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 AM
TECH Veteran

i use the msd 6010 box, took a little work to fig it out, im kind of computer chalng., lol-i use the map sensor to control the timing, but prob could use the reg rpm graph to do the same thing-i had problems understanding the atmosphere thing, but got it down now, lol
i heard of guys having trouble firing them with slow cranking, prob below 150 rpm, but with the old and new engine i have had no problems
adding the 4l80e trans took the whole driveability thing to a new level, wish i had done one on my old chevelle(489/f1r procharger, would have been sweet)