Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

1 7/8 kooks installed :D

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 7/8 kooks installed :D

Finaly got these on.

Gotta say best mod so far as far as feeling a power gain.

The car rips now, its amazing how hard it puts you back in your seat.

I cant beat it to much cause it does need to get re-tuned. I can feel some dead spots at certain RPMs , and im not sure if its running to lean so I only opened it upalittle.

Just orderd my hendrix clutch kit tonight so after that is installed I'll retune.

Im running the kooks cat connectors along with a x-pipe and OBX mufflers that stay pretty quiet untill I get on it, which I like. And I think Im going to buy a electronic cutout down the road but for daily driving I dont like it to loud. I barly have any drone at all..

The only thing Im not happy about it how close the headers are to the steering rod...I think i can feel it touch on hard right hand turns...
My only thought is my motor mount isnt fully doing its job anymore ?
.. But im going to look into it more another day..

Im amazed at how tight everything is next to the connectors, but everything there seems ok.

I also need to upgrade the clamps that connect to the cat connectors to the stock catback, they are cheap *** autozone ones that I dont ,kooks didnt come with them like I thought they did. .

here are some pics, and a very poor video I took tonight. But its got good sound

Was anyone elses 1 7/8 set this close ?? (its about a 1/8 inch away from the pipe ) ??

I honestly dont like how close it is but ill figure something out..

heres the Video , volume up. My cam has a slight chop to it, the tune mellowed it out alot compared to when I first got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-TcYEE35_s
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

I bet MM's fix the closeness issue. That's pretty common on all cars with longtubes.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! Now go get that 240!!!! lol
Old 09-19-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow those 1 7/8s look really big,.

Here are some pics of my 1 3/4. I've seen some people with the same size as me that came a lot closer to the steering shaft, I think one guy even dented his headers a little to make room.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Should have ceramic coated them bad boys...
Copper!
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1
Old 09-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
Wow those 1 7/8s look really big,.

Here are some pics of my 1 3/4. I've seen some people with the same size as me that came a lot closer to the steering shaft, I think one guy even dented his headers a little to make room.

I think I might have to dent mine, if my motor mount is in good shape im going to have to give the headers a slight love tap...
Old 09-19-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Nice pics. I have a set of 1 3/4 on the way. I'll post up what they look like installed....
Old 09-19-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Congrats on the headers! How much more engine noise do you hear? Much valve train noise? Not a real fan of how close the steering rod is to the headers, I guess a small love tap won't hurt too much.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
Congrats on the headers! How much more engine noise do you hear? Much valve train noise? Not a real fan of how close the steering rod is to the headers, I guess a small love tap won't hurt too much.
I am running a small cam with dual valve springs so yes there is more engine noise. listen closly to the video you can get some idea.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice..... bet that thing was like whew thank god with that cam in it, it can finally breathe
Old 09-20-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

i cant wait to do headers!!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds good...u get that vette yet?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoJersey05V
i cant wait to do headers!!
Wait what brand are you going to pick so we can gear up for unwarranted bashing of the other companies?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SkullV
Wait what brand are you going to pick so we can gear up for unwarranted bashing of the other companies?

ahaha o boi...

play nice bros
Old 09-28-2009, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Did you get that tune yet?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by blk04V
Did you get that tune yet?
naww wont be for a few more weeks
Old 10-03-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Got the 1 3/4 Kooks installed today. I have a good 1/2in between the headers and the steering shaft so it must be either the 1 7/8 or a tolerance issue with yours...

My issues were:
O2 extension cables were incorrect. For some reason my CTS-V has the harness and O2's with only one key where as the vettes have two. So the extensions they sent were for a vette type O2 sensors. Did'nt need them anyway the harness has enough room...

The wiring harness that runs near the oil filter was touching the headers. I had to heat shield it as there was not enough slack to move it out of harms way.

otherwise it was a easy install and they sound awesome with the Corsa catback. Absolutely no drone. I believe it is even quieter than the stock manifolds and cats inside the cabin.

Great mod, the car loves the longtubes just like every other LS based vehicle I have owned.....
Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

After looking more into it, I think the reason it hits is cause my motor mounts are shot and sagging...

Ive got a set of creative steel ones waiting to be installed so i hope it helps.

If that doesnt work im just going to tap it with a hammer a bit..

And the other thing I wasnt very happy about is it didnt come with the clamps that connect the cats to the stock exhaust .

Did yours?

For 1300 i thought that would be included.

i bought a cheap autozone set but honestly they are kind of ugly and cheap looking.....

Originally Posted by L82gofast
Got the 1 3/4 Kooks installed today. I have a good 1/2in between the headers and the steering shaft so it must be either the 1 7/8 or a tolerance issue with yours...

My issues were:
O2 extension cables were incorrect. For some reason my CTS-V has the harness and O2's with only one key where as the vettes have two. So the extensions they sent were for a vette type O2 sensors. Did'nt need them anyway the harness has enough room...

The wiring harness that runs near the oil filter was touching the headers. I had to heat shield it as there was not enough slack to move it out of harms way.

otherwise it was a easy install and they sound awesome with the Corsa catback. Absolutely no drone. I believe it is even quieter than the stock manifolds and cats inside the cabin.

Great mod, the car loves the longtubes just like every other LS based vehicle I have owned.....
Old 10-04-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Regular

Oh ya, the motor mounts being shot would move them. Forgot about that..

My car had a corsa catback when I got it so my catted midpipes just used the existing corsa clamps.

You are right, they should come with a set of clamps anyway for the money.

Been raining here (finally, we need it) so I have not had a chance to log and tune it yet since it gets sideways quick when its slick. But I did weld in a extra bung for my wideband before I installed them....
Old 10-04-2009, 04:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by L82gofast
Oh ya, the motor mounts being shot would move them. Forgot about that..

My car had a corsa catback when I got it so my catted midpipes just used the existing corsa clamps.

You are right, they should come with a set of clamps anyway for the money.

Been raining here (finally, we need it) so I have not had a chance to log and tune it yet since it gets sideways quick when its slick. But I did weld in a extra bung for my wideband before I installed them....
im dieing to retune, but gotta wait till my clutch kit then gotta do a 500 mile break in... i hope im done by nov... right now im waiting on the clutch kit.

what wideband are you running?

Quick Reply: 1 7/8 kooks installed :D