Racer's Lounge - mustang owners vs lsx car owners

View Full Version : mustang owners vs lsx car owners

datz kool
09-19-2009, 08:36 AM
I am just wondering why most mustang owners either early or late model like to shun ls car owners? I personally like all cars just for the time and money and effort put into them. I happen to hang with mustang,corvette, firebird and camaro, and even street rod guys.

Am i just imangining this? But being a camaro owner 4th gen owner most ford mustang owners are really stand offish about my car.

Can anyone explain why this happens.:confused:

thanks for your replys

DATZ KOOL

Minacious
09-19-2009, 08:52 AM
I've always found the rivalry absurd.

For some, it is just friendly fun going back to the early days of Chevy vs Ford, but for many, they treat it like a religion and you are disrespecting their God by owning the other brand. Or better yet, your car is complete trash and couldn't possibly live up to theirs. That goes for Ford guys looking down on Chevy, and vice versa. You can also throw America vs the world and vice versa into the mix too, when it comes to cars.

Being a sportbike enthusiast, I see the same thing in the motorcycle world with sportbikes and Harleys.

I am a car/bike guy and appreciate a good machine no matter where it is from. That goes for Import, American, or European.

Having brand loyalty, like you are a soldier in a war, is just silly.

latindragons
09-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Just brand loyalty. Without it, racing wouldn't be as fun because you wouldn't have the smack talk before. You'll get some guys who believe their brand of car is the end-all to everything. Then you get guys like you, whom just enjoy cars as a whole.

I personally like brand loyalty. Not that I think F-bodies are the greatest thing out there or anything. But my friends and I just smack talk with each other (jokingly) saying "Oh, his mustang is for prepubescent little girls." Or "Your Camaro come with a mullet?" Stuff like that. But it's just a part of the game.

I respect anything that goes fast. Hell, I'm slower than sweat on balls and I know there are tons of mustangs, civics, EVOs, etc that are faster and better. Plus, if there wasn't brand loyalty, we probably wouldn't have the camaro again. As camaro and mustang separates the crowd, they keep improving on one another.

But in the end.....there's always a faster car.

datz kool
09-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for your replys,

Its all a little clearer now. Oh yeah brand loyalty, Should i buy a new mustang just because they are doing so well in nhra stock and superstock?

How about next year? maybe a hemi challenger because they will be running harder?

Or maybe a 40 willys with a blown bae 526,yeah i know what you are saying.

johnlv6
09-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I've always found the rivalry absurd.

For some, it is just friendly fun going back to the early days of Chevy vs Ford, but for many, they treat it like a religion and you are disrespecting their God by owning the other brand. Or better yet, your car is complete trash and couldn't possibly live up to theirs. That goes for Ford guys looking down on Chevy, and vice versa. You can also throw America vs the world and vice versa into the mix too, when it comes to cars.

Being a sportbike enthusiast, I see the same thing in the motorcycle world with sportbikes and Harleys.

I am a car/bike guy and appreciate a good machine no matter where it is from. That goes for Import, American, or European.

Having brand loyalty, like you are a soldier in a war, is just silly.

Yup. They're idiots. While I owned a Mustang, I've always been a Chevy/Camaro fan. As GM is now Obama/Government Motors, the Ford guys do at least have that to rag on us about.:D

The import crowd seems to be more approving/tolerant of other import brand vehicles than the domestic crowd. It's comical to me that Mustang and Camaro owners can't get along (the vehicles really have more in common than say a Civic and an STI). You don't see "Civic" or "Evo" shows (at least I haven't). You see "import" shows. It's a culture, whereas the domestic crowd is pretty well divided along company production lines (i've seen several "Mustang" only shows listed in this area).

DiscerningZ32
09-19-2009, 10:30 AM
The import crowd seems to be more approving/tolerant of other import brand vehicles than the domestic crowd.

Apparently you've never seen a toyota Vs. Nissan argument, or a subaru Vs. Mitsubishi fight. Some of the worst ones are when rotards get involved, Rotary>all:eyes:

Some people talk down other companies as a way of joking around, making jabs. Others, actually are ignorant to the extent that they are biased against certain cars or believe their make or model is superior to all others. They are the worst, sometimes they won't even listen to logic. A lot of the ones who blindly hate a certain car tend to know very little about them from what I've seen.

We have a few people who blindly hate the mustang on this board as well. Maybe they'll chime in with a stupid response.

Vicinity
09-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Apparently you've never seen a toyota Vs. Nissan argument, or a subaru Vs. Mitsubishi fight. Some of the worst ones are when rotards get involved, Rotary>all:eyes:

Some people talk down other companies as a way of joking around, making jabs. Others, actually are ignorant to the extent that they are biased against certain cars or believe their make or model is superior to all others. They are the worst, sometimes they won't even listen to logic. A lot of the ones who blindly hate a certain car tend to know very little about them from what I've seen.

We have a few blind mustang haters on this board as well. Maybe they'll chime in with a stupid response.

We have more humble Mustang owners than we do moron ones.

DiscerningZ32
09-19-2009, 10:55 AM
We have more humble Mustang owners than we do moron ones.

I meant both those who own mustangs and hate other cars (think we only have one) AND mostly those who hate mustangs for no good reason.

datz kool
09-19-2009, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=DiscerningZ32;

Very true.

Are you saying that just because the owner might have somewhat of a clue on how to repair,mod, a certain make that its better than the make or model that he or she is not too informed about?
You can make anything fast,handle look good if you put enough money into it.

Should i spend one hundred grand just so everyone else will like it?

Your right its silly.

TXZ28LS1
09-19-2009, 12:29 PM
i personally like stangs as well!! nothing wrong with that. heck, ive been looking into a 5.0 as a daily driver.

Gaunt
09-19-2009, 12:42 PM
I just kind of laugh at people who do that blind brand loyalty shit. Speed is speed, if you like how your car looks, and it truly is fast, enjoy. Just don't be an asshat about it.

supernova1972
09-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Its not just mustang vs camaro. Every brand has fan boys, heck there are even old car new car fan boys. Ever car seems to have its guys who no matter what you drive are great to talk to and bs about different cars and brands, then there are the guys who think the only fast car is the one they own.

94Mustang302ci
09-19-2009, 01:01 PM

We have a few blind mustang haters on this board as well. Maybe they'll chime in with a stupid response.

Chime*

Rotary powered cars make more power per liter than any other engine! ROTARY POWAH! http://pics.evyl.org/humor/the_same.jpg

DiscerningZ32
09-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Chime*

Rotary powered cars make more power per liter than any other engine! ROTARY POWAH! http://pics.evyl.org/humor/the_same.jpg

I was actually talking about people who blindly hate mustangs, not the other way around.;)

Heater
09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Growing up, it was the "cool" thing to love on GM vehicles and hate on Fords.

So growing up, I loved GM vehicles and hated on Fords. This happened until I got to high school. A guy brought his dad's modded 89 GT to school and after school he mopped up all the "fast" cars with it. After watching that, and seeing all the hate and grief people gave him...I started really liking Fords...I guess pulling for the under dog.

I think to me, it's the rivalry with the ribbing and shit talking that makes it fun. I hang out with a lot of GM guys in a group, and most of them I get along with great, but there are always a few that REALLY hate a Ford...therefore they hate me. I don't really understand that way of thinking, but I see it a lot.

ponygt65
09-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Very well put.

I don't mind joking around knowing there's actual mutual respect. It's the ignorant lame asses or the I hate them 'just because' people, that make me :eyes:
We have more humble Mustang owners than we do moron ones.:chug:

OP - Ironically, a similar topic was brought up on SVTP. From what I (and others on that site have noticed) is there's more respect given to GMs/LSx on that site, than there is on this site for FMC. And before i get bashed, there were more GM/LSx guys saying that than Ford guys. Kinda makes ya think. ;-)

JayplaySS2
09-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Hell, I support all 3

(2) C6's...working on the 2nd one now
(2) SS Camaro's
(1) KB Cobra
(1) SRT8 300.

That's as good as it gets IMHO. Shit, I've had some sweet cars and I'm still not happy. :confused:

98 WS6
09-19-2009, 11:29 PM
I hear ya man. I'm not saying this is how ALL mustang owner's are, (because that would be plain ignorant,) but all the one's I've met at car shows and such treat me like a dick just because I have a Trans Am. I like to joke around with "rival" cars, all in good fun, but I appreciate any well-done car.. Especially Cobra's.

This guy at a local car show saw me walk over from my car to his 2000 GT, and I asked him "Hey man, got anything good in there?" His response was, "Enough to put your piece of shit to shame." :eyes: I'm sure..

MonmouthCtyLS7
09-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Ive actually found it to be just the opposite....

00ssSLP
09-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I've owned all brands and as long as I can modify them and have fun I don't care what other people think or say..

rukus1_one
09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
you have to admit ford guys are the ones who start everything

99bowtieZ
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM

That's mature...

Irunelevens
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM

Good contribution :eyes:

Heater
09-21-2009, 03:46 PM

LOL, I work with a guy that thinks like that....he's a couple fries short of a Happy Meal :bang:

TRMach1
09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I've owned several different makes of cars over my lifetime, including foreign makes, but I became passionate about Mustangs over the course of about 25 years.

I'm 55 years old, and I grew up in an all GM household back in the '60's. My old man wouldn't own anything but a Chevy, an Oldsmobile, or a Buick! Hell, my very first car that I paid for myself was a 1962 Chevy Impala SS 409! I owned 3 more Chevys after that one, my last one being a 1970 Biscayne 4-door with a 454! I traded that car in on a 1969 Mustang Grande, followed by a 1970 Mach 1, and I've kind of been hooked on Mustangs ever since!

But even among Mustangs, I don't care for the huge barge like 1971-73 models, or the Mustang II's, or even the shoe box Fox body. I remember in 1994, when both GM and Ford had redesigned their pony cars, the first place I went was to the local Chevy dealer, hoping to snag a new Camaro! The salesman was a fat pig who basically thought he was doing me a favor by allowing me to trade in my used 1988 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight on his precious Camaro! He didn't want to deal at all, so I left and went down the street to the local Ford dealer who had a brand new triple black Mustang GT sitting on the delivery truck, and I bought it right off the truck!

They made me feel welcome, they offered me a decent trade in on my GM car, and everybody was happy!

Sometimes all it takes is a bad experience like that to drive people from one brand to another. I've stuck with Ford ever since, and have never had any issues with how I was treated by them.

Right now, my garage is home to two Mustangs, my '03 Mach 1 and my wife's 07 Mustang V6, and we both enjoy our cars very much, but I also have been known to hang out with fbody owners, Viper, and Corvette owners, but I draw the line at the import crowd, mainly because they just plain annoy me with their brainless antics and ridiculous trash talking!

JUICED96Z
09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
I stoped caring a long time ago... if it is fast then cool...

I don't even car about some riced out ricer... it's their car what do I care......... there are a lot of GM owners that seem to have a greater then thou additude about there car but for the most pat the Mustang people I have met could care less what you have and just like cars in general..........

I like Camaro's still but would not mind a few select Ford'd....

unit213
09-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm 55 years old

Whoa! :eek2: That's awesome...still rockin' the hotrods. :D

Ford vs Chevy means nothing to me. It's just plain stupid. Hopefully
a nice convertible C6 finds it's way into my garage next to the Cobra. :nod:

JUICED96Z
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
BTW..... when I had my BBC it seemed the LSX owners were the ones that were stand ofish and wanted nothing to do with the car........

Id laugh when Id seem them look at the car then quickly walk away.....

My grandfather turned 70 not to long ago and is in the process of building a car...

My main problem with cars is the weight for most......... Camaro's are heavy though third gens are not bad..... I love 03-04 Cobra's but they are also heavy... my next car will either be a notch with an all aluminum BBC or maybe a replica Shelby Cobra..... maybe...

TRMach1
09-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Whoa! :eek2: That's awesome...still rockin' the hotrods. :D

Ford vs Chevy means nothing to me. It's just plain stupid. Hopefully
a nice convertible C6 finds it's way into my garage next to the Cobra. :nod:
Yeah buddy, old guys like to have fun too! ROFL! My ass came dragging in at 2am Sunday morning after spending Saturday night hanging out with the local car nuts and doing some not so legal things on the public highways!

Dan Stewart
09-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Honestly, the only Ford bashing I do is usually in response to a Ford guy who begins the bashing.......I just have a talent of tongue (or finger, I guess in the case of online forums).

In reality, I have zero brand loyalty.

I think Mustangs are fine cars and would love to own a '03-'04 Cobra. I'm just too cheap to actually do it.

I even like a well built import. WRXs, Evos, BMWs, Mercedes (drool), etc. All fine cars.

Top Secret
09-22-2009, 11:13 PM
I like Chevy. I think the LSx platform is one of the best platforms on the planet.

However, my dad liked Chevy. He taught me Chevy. I know Chevy, and therefor I like Chevy. I could have just as easily grown up Ford, or hell, even Chrysler.

The bottom line is, if I like it, I like it. The sticker on the trunk is not the determining factor.

GM has the LSx, Ford has the 9 inch, Mopar has the Hemi. These are the biases I think of when thinking of these companies. In reality, they are all so much more than that.

But I'll never forgive Dodge for the Neon....

unit213
09-23-2009, 07:43 AM
I love 03-04 Cobra's but they are also heavy...

My car weighs 3,400lbs with a full interior and the stock front suspesion and wheels. It's really easy to get these cars down to 3,200lbs. That's almost
Corvette territory.

Tolley's94z28
09-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Im new to this forum but im not new to the car world, i have owned a v6 camaro and now i have my z28, and from my experiance the only group that i cant stand are the ricers(not imports but ricers), and they come in everything, u kno the guys that slap on a body kit, euro tail lights, and stickers, and think that their cars are the fastest things in the world. 3 of my friends tht i hang with arent chevy guys and we never hav a problem, 2 hav 240sx's, the other owns a mustang, and we joke arnd and its usually just because we respect each other but see differently, and thts how the car world should be.

ponygt65
09-23-2009, 01:00 PM
My car weighs 3,400lbs with a full interior and the stock front suspesion and wheels. It's really easy to get these cars down to 3,200lbs. That's almost
Corvette territory.

You do have some WR though. ;)

NemeSS
09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
i will have to admit that im brand loyal. i think the ls engines are the best bang for the buck, for the average enthusiast.n/a wise.
however i have worked as a machinist and have machined/assembled many ls,sbc,windsor and mod motors. so i am aware of there potential and flaws.
i built my car mostly to attract the car guys who buy into the hype and un$derestimate this type of car.
this has proven to work very well and i have made a few $ off these type of people.
i respect other types of cars.but gm cars are a personal choice mainly because im so familiar with them. the only mustang bodys i would own are the old school mach1 or a old school torino.
i just dont feel the fox body on up cars. i respect the 03-04 cobra's potential, but ever since they were released it seems that some of the owners come off as having a something to prove attitude.
at least in my exp. ive seen this more from the younger crowd with fast cars.

LS2 KLR
09-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I can respect a well done car no matter the make. What got me hooked on stangs was the sound, though most are more bark than bite. As I started modding and learning/encountering ls1s, I also liked the idea of being the underdog. You can't say a 2v gets much respect from the lsx crowd.

Bitemark46
09-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah buddy, old guys like to have fun too! ROFL! My ass came dragging in at 2am Sunday morning after spending Saturday night hanging out with the local car nuts and doing some not so legal things on the public highways!

:usa: Badass. I hope to do the same in 20 years. What kept the fire burning all these years (desire to be into cars)?

-Mark

TRMach1
09-24-2009, 09:05 AM
:usa: Badass. I hope to do the same in 20 years. What kept the fire burning all these years (desire to be into cars)?

-Mark
I don't know, it's like some people have a burning desire to hunt, or fish, or play tennis, that sticks with them all their lives, I'm just into cars. I love the smells, the sounds, getting greasy, busting knuckles, the whole thing!

Since my kids are grown and live half-way across the country, and I don't have to spend small fortunes on them, I have more money that I can spend on car related stuff.

My second wife is a whole lot more understanding of my "addiction" than the first one was, and that helps tremendously LOL! She understands my need to take off a couple of hours every Friday afternoon to come home and clean and detail my car. She understands when I get fidgety after dinner on Saturday evening, and tell her I need to take the car out for a cruise and to hang out with other car people. Hell, she even understands the unnatural need to belong to 40 or 50 online car forums, blogs, and web sites, when I tell her I don't have enough time to log on to the online banking web site to pay bills!

I think that is pretty much the secret, either being single and well employed, or being with someone who, while not necessarily a "car person", can totally understand what it means to be one, that keeps the dedication and desire going, and keeps you young, at least in your own mind. LOL!

datz kool
09-24-2009, 10:32 AM
You sound a lot like myself,over mid 50's like race cars,hot rods,sreet machines,pro street cars brands not important.

Overweight,eyes going away,hearings lost step or 2, but still can shift with the best of them.2 ex wives, dont have to spend money on them anymore:jest:, All i need is my dog,my cars and beer.

take care

wickedbusa
09-25-2009, 07:25 PM
The same reason why there's always some kind of bad blood between LT1 and LSx guys....and it's the same breed of car. I personally admire a car that's well done, whether it's a domestic or an import.

stangtrader
09-26-2009, 06:25 AM
to me it comes down to this.
used to own mustangs and they were my life,then i got smoked by an ls1
went on stang net to get ideas and every one said "its gonna take alot to beat a bolt on ls1" so i decided if you cant beat em join em.

first maro love it to death best bang for the buck.my current hatered of mustangs is cause of cobra owners.and typicly most stang owners think
there the shit in there 4.6 cars with flowmasters.dont flame me i did not say
all.
but all in all i like both cars and most mustang owners fear ls1 cars unless they are built.

ss_slowmaro
09-26-2009, 08:13 AM
In my opinion its the ignoramuses that give mustang owners a bad name. "Just because my car is loud it has to be fast!"
Mainly because, the lower a car goes in price, the more morons its going to attract. as well as the younger generation who have seen to many fast and furious movies, and must reenact it on the streets.
There are plenty of mustang owners that have respect for Lsx guys and vice versa. Take pride in what you drive, just not to much pride.

WSsick
09-26-2009, 03:06 PM
The same reason why there's always some kind of bad blood between LT1 and LSx guys....and it's the same breed of car. I personally admire a car that's well done, whether it's a domestic or an import.

fuck your boat anchor motor.

anyways, i know to people with the same car, down the the color. 95 mustang gt with a 5.0 & 5 speed.
one is basically stock and thinks his car is "just a car length" behind mine if we raced. he says it has 302hp, i told him thats his cubes :lol: he also does like it that i told him his little shiny 5.0 badges he bought are wrong since its a 4.9.:lol: he almost has a domestic ricer mentality. "i have a V8 there for its fast" im gonna borrow my moms regal GS and give him a run and then hop in my z and show him a family car is closer just to put him in his place haha.
the other is a built 306(i think) making 340ish to the tires. he hates that he had to spend tons of money to make what i will with bolt ons. hes actually trying to sell the car once the tranny is fixed. he loves fbods, or anything fast.

i respect anything, but hate people who hate on other cars just because the know nothing about them. i try to learn about any and all performance cars or anything people will mod so im never out of the loop. id like to own a Terminator as a DD, love the sound of the exhaust and blower.like the machs too. for a race car, LSX all the way. other than that, dont think i could buy a stang.

99bowtieZ
09-26-2009, 05:40 PM
every one said "its gonna take alot to beat a bolt on ls1" so i decided if you cant beat em join em.
:jest:

most mustang owners fear ls1 cars unless they are built.

...another reason I love the LS cars.

jermzz
09-26-2009, 06:15 PM
meh... mustang are slow.

LS2 KLR
09-26-2009, 09:29 PM
If you want a racecar, a fox body is the easy choice. You chevy guys seem to miss that you can get a 400+ cubic inch ford motor, which is the lsx main advantage. I know some of you guys like to act as if the lsx was touched by god but there's nothing astonishing about it. Honda could build a better performer if they wanted to. You guys are just very lucky gm blessed you with the lsxs.

Ford screwed us when they went modular. I'd love to dd a tt 408.

NemeSS
09-26-2009, 09:47 PM
If you want a racecar, a fox body is the easy choice. You chevy guys seem to miss that you can get a 400+ cubic inch ford motor, which is the lsx main advantage. I know some of you guys like to act as if the lsx was touched by god but there's nothing astonishing about it. Honda could build a better performer if they wanted to. You guys are just very lucky gm blessed you with the lsxs.

Ford screwed us when they went modular. I'd love to dd a tt 408.

a good friend of mine is hardcore sbf windsor fox body guy. but even he aknowledges that the lsx is a very capable performer even with oe heads.
and his car runs 8.9 on motor n/a. but most all of his motor is aftermarket, only thing oe ford on there is the timing cover.:jest: