Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Leaking Clutch Fluid on Ground

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Clutch Fluid on Ground

As it says, I have to fill my clutch about every ten times I drive it. I havent gotten underneath to look, but I assume its coming from the bellhousing.
My questions is... How come my clutch is not slipping? Is it just a matter of time?
thanks,
justin
Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Could be as easy as tightening your bleeder on the slave or having to replace the o-ring where your master and slave connect. I do remember that gm does not carry this o-ring by its self. You have to buy the whole slave I think. Auto parts stores may have o-rings if that is the issue, but I'm going to say you may have to find a business that specializes in o-ring for the right one. I'm just shooting in the dark here though. Get under the car and have a friend pump the clutch.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the clutch isnt slipping because the fluid does nothing but actuate the clutch release.

look under the car and post what you find. its hard to help basing answers on assumptions.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you see it dripping from? As someone said, try tightening the bleeder (I think its a 5/16" with a quarter inch drive. If its not from there, then maybe your slave is bad or your line from the master?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

If it leaks enough you could contaminate your disc and then it will start slipping. I would determine where your leak is from and replace the defective parts pretty quickly before you wind up having a bad clutch.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM
FormerVendor

Matt hit the nail on the head. Leaks frequently contaminate the clutch disc leading to slippage and dependent on the type of material used on the disc this could ruin it completely! Find the leak and fix it before this becomes a much more frustrating and costly issue! Let us what you find. Thanks,