Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission "lash"

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission "lash"

I've been trying to track down my lash issue, trying to figure out which component is giving the whole driveline a sort of loose feel and hence a "clunk" on shifting.

Upon inspection, I found the noise is primarily coming from the transmission. What could be the issue there? What could be loose in there that would cause a clunking sound when I'm shifting?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a number of things. What flywheel do you have? Does the car have a large camshaft? What shape is the clutch disc in? What shape are the U joints in?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

stock everything. new u-joints. clutch has 111k on it.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

Could be a broken or worn out spring in the clutch disc.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Thats funny that you say that. The guy I took it to get looked at said it was either the clutch springs were going bad or broken or that the cluster in my trans was getting worn (not his exact terms but the best I can remember).

Hmm.. so this whole business could be as simple as a clutch?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Thats funny that you say that. The guy I took it to get looked at said it was either the clutch springs were going bad or broken or that the cluster in my trans was getting worn (not his exact terms but the best I can remember).

Hmm.. so this whole business could be as simple as a clutch?
Maybe, but also have to figure out that without us "hearing" it, hard to diagnose.....have to throw out some other things as well...tranny mount? Motor mount? Exhaust hitting crossmember? TQ Arm bushing worn out? Loose? ALOT more stuff down there to look at/think about....
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gen414
Maybe, but also have to figure out that without us "hearing" it, hard to diagnose.....have to throw out some other things as well...tranny mount? Motor mount? Exhaust hitting crossmember? TQ Arm bushing worn out? Loose? ALOT more stuff down there to look at/think about....
Hmm. Fair enough. I'll elaborate the details where I can:

New U-joints
New Trans mount
New torque arm bushing
New LCA bushings

The motor mounts are old, but they do not seem to be the culprit.

Everything in the rear suspension and trans mount area is tight and has blue locktite.

I had a new rear and driveshaft in the car (part of 9" rear adventure I had back in summer) and it still was "clunky". And after I switched back it was still clunking.

To describe the clunking - it happens in every gear, if I shift normally (in and out) the car will buck and have an audible noise when the drivetrain is engaged. I usually feather the clutch a little on each shift to avoid this, it sometimes works.

So. This would lend itself to something in the transmission or clutch.

Things that make me think it might be in the trans or clutch:

Some difficulty in changing gears (not smooth but not impossible.. notchy I suppose)

Clutch engagement is on the last part of the pedal (not sure if this is normal but from other cars this signifies a worn clutch)

Taking off from a stop the clutch feels "loose" almost. If you feather it, it works. If you quickly release the clutch (not dumping it) with a decent amount of RPM, there will be some bucking (but its NOT like if the car is about to stall)

Confusing but the more I think about it, the more it sounds like a possible clutch issue.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Banned

I doubt its the cluster gear inside the unit.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thesource
I doubt its the cluster gear inside the unit.
What would be the symptoms there?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

If the cluster gear was worn enough to make a gear chatter, you would definately hear gear whine in all gears except for 4th gear going down the road. I'm going to stick with my gut feeling and say its a clutch disc spring issue. Like Gen414 said though, without hearing it, its just an educated guess.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thesource
If the cluster gear was worn enough to make a gear chatter, you would definately hear gear whine in all gears except for 4th gear going down the road. I'm going to stick with my gut feeling and say its a clutch disc spring issue. Like Gen414 said though, without hearing it, its just an educated guess.
I'm heading to the clutch idea as well.

Theres no reason the trans should be having any issues, its not abused at all. Nor was it ever abused. Just driven. Not even powershifted, haha.

So where is a good place to get a LS7 clutch kit?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Launching!

scoggin dickey parts center still has decent deals on their sets...even have one with an aluminum flywheel for about $100 bucks more. wish that one would've been available when i got mine. the steel ls2 flywheel is heavy as hell. i'd either go with those guys or check the classifieds on this site. they pop up every once in a while.

Quick Reply: Transmission "lash"