Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Massive Wheel Hop!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive Wheel Hop!!

Hey whats going on everyone. i have a few questions. i have a 2002 z28 with full bolt ons and i just swapped the gear ratios from 2.73 to 4.10 however when i took my car to the track i got super wheel hop.. i dont know why i didnt let off the gas when this happened (Well i was racing my buddy in his 02 gt) but i held the gas thinking it would stop hopping. but i hopped past the 60' foot mark. now when i hit bumps i get weird noises coming from the rear passenger and driver side. could that be blown out shocks. ? what mods do you guys recommend that i get i have about $700 to solve this issue. thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check to see if you broke a shock. On spending your money get a pair of Control arms and a control arm relocation bracket and a adjustable Torque arm, that should blow your $700.00 Check out BMR or UMI they will lead you in the right direction.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

thanks the the quick response the noise is coming from both sides. lol. whats the relocation bracket for i thought the torque arm just mounted to the tranny and the rear and is there any big advantages between adjustable and non-adjustable
Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

could be bad shock....could be you busted the Torque arm mount.

the relocation brackets change the geometry of the lower control arms allowing for better control of axle twist.

adj torque arm allows to fine tune the pinion angle, which can make a huge change in traction.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotjohnnyls1
thanks the the quick response the noise is coming from both sides. lol. whats the relocation bracket for i thought the torque arm just mounted to the tranny and the rear and is there any big advantages between adjustable and non-adjustable
Hello
The relocation brackets will mount on to the rear and allow you adjust the rear lower control arm so that it is more parallel with the surface. He is right about the control arms as well. Anytime you can get rid of the factory stamped/Flexible pieces is always a good idea. And the torque arm does mount to the transmission but if you have a adjustable you will be able to set the pinion angle. And when if comes to adjustable or non adjustable It just all depends on what your plans are for the vehicle. Below is a link to show you what UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...dsbhqgh2oab414

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...dsbhqgh2oab414

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjohnnyls1
Hey whats going on everyone. i have a few questions. i have a 2002 z28 with full bolt ons and i just swapped the gear ratios from 2.73 to 4.10 however when i took my car to the track i got super wheel hop.. i dont know why i didnt let off the gas when this happened (Well i was racing my buddy in his 02 gt) but i held the gas thinking it would stop hopping. but i hopped past the 60' foot mark. now when i hit bumps i get weird noises coming from the rear passenger and driver side. could that be blown out shocks. ? what mods do you guys recommend that i get i have about $700 to solve this issue. thanks in advance.

Hello, like others have stated lower ciontrol arms and relocation brackets will stop your wheel hop issue. The noise your hearing could be several different things. How often do you take your car to the track? If you can give me a call here at the office. Its easier to discuss your car over the phone than it is to type it all out. Whatever your situation is BMR has the parts and the experience to get your car to perform its best. I will never try to sell you a part that you do not need. Im in the office until 5:30pm est mon-fri. I can get a package together of the parts that you need that will fit within your budget.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Massive Wheel Hop!!