Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom y with flowmaster merge question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom y with flowmaster merge question

For thoses who have them. Did you buy pipes already bent or take it to a shop and have them just fab it up? The reason I am asking is I am putting headers on soon and I got a flowmast merge I want to use with it. Also should I clamp it or have it welded? Also would the ground clearance be too little if I just brought the pipes strait back like duals into the flowmaster merge and not bend it around? Thanks for any help you can give me
Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edit: I just noticed you don't already have a Y-pipe, so my post really doesn't help..haha but oh well.

If you have the tools and time, anything is possible..haha

Here is exactly what I did......

Originally, I ordered two 45 degree mandrel bent pieces hoping it would fit. It would not. Only one fits for the driver side. On the passenger side, I actually just reused part of the original Y, cut the other pipe off and patched it. After That I went to AutoZone and got a 18" piece of 3" pipe and cut it to length.

This is a camera phone pic, but you can see on the passenger side where I patched the hole. The whole passenger side of this exhaust is Pacesetter.

The driver side is the 45* and straight piece... You can see how I cut the front at an angle to make the straight piece fit.

Hopefully this helps a lot. I did all this piecing together without a lift..haha Not much fun on jackstands.

Now my only problem is clearance. That 4" Bullet is massive and I can't tuck it up any higher. Ground clearance is lacking.

Disclaimer: This is how I did it. If you are using an exhaust shop, obviously you wouldn't have to MacGyver the original pipe like I did.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

It helps anyway. Where did you get the 45 degree pipe from? thanks for the reply
Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ds98formula
It helps anyway. Where did you get the 45 degree pipe from? thanks for the reply
Summit.

With some pre-bent pieces and strategic cuts, you could make a y-pipe yourself...

Most exhaust shops don't have mandrel benders for 3" or bigger...
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info