Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trouble removing T56 tailshaft housing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble removing T56 tailshaft housing

So I'm trying to fix a leak in the seam at the tailshaft housing. I'm following the great T56 rebuild write-up but I'm having problems getting the tailshaft housing to separate from the transmission case.

I did some searches, but the only advice I found was to hit the case near the transmission mount but this isn't working for me.

Are there any other tricks I can try? I don't want to crack the case or damage the internals...it's a newly rebuilt transmission which makes the leak all the more frustrating.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

-ch
Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are 2 areas (one on each side) where a chisel can help pry apart the housing. On some units with Heavy RTV or RightStuff, I've had to carefully tap a boxcutter blade into the seam at several places.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, make sure you have all bolts out, and of course, unbolted from cross member/tranny mount.
I know that sounds like I am being silly, but just making sure you don't overlook ANYTHING, because the tailhousing should pop right off with not much persuasion, as once you get everything unbolted, a small bead of weak silicone is holding it together, AND since you said new rebuild, it should REALLY just pop right off.....

Quick Reply: Trouble removing T56 tailshaft housing