Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni DA?s

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni DA?s

I found a set of front Koni DA shocks for a really good price of 375 and I might end up buying them, they are brand new in a box. I have done some research on this site and it seems that some people have mentioned that a SA would be better for normal driving and that DA Konis leak and have more problems. Is this true? I would really like some more info on this because the price is accually cheaper than than new SA shocks and need shocks bad. BTW they are also part number Gm performance part number 22140240.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All Koni's are re-build able so if you do have an issue they can be repaired, plus they do come with a lifetime warranty as long as they were not user induced damage.

Is that $375 price for two or just one? If it's two, that's a smoking price.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
All Koni's are re-build able so if you do have an issue they can be repaired, plus they do come with a lifetime warranty as long as they were not user induced damage.

Is that $375 price for two or just one? If it's two, that's a smoking price.
That is for the pair. And that is the same thing I was thinking. I cant pass up this offer.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heck even if they need a rebuild before you use them, you'll still come out ahead.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

No, he won't. First, the warranty is only to the original purchaser. Doesn't matter if they are supposedly "new", if someone else bought them you don't get a warranty....

Secondly, a rebuild isn't cheap, and oh by the way can take as long as 8 weeks.....

Thirdly, if you were interested in using the lower perch the SA's have, the DA's don't have that.

Finally, don't you wonder why a set of shocks is only $375 when one new SA is $299? There are a lot of new old stock shocks sitting around, which do tend to leak when finally used because the upper seals have dried out. I know it makes me wonder why someone would give a set of shocks away for so little when they cost a lot, lot more to buy now.... unless they were bought on the super cheap years ago when SLP was blowing them out (and they were some 4 years old then). YMMV.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Sam, those were some concerns I had and you answered them. It does sound to good to be true. Not to seem ignorant, I'm still learning, but what is lower perch?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

SA's have a spring perch that moves, you can set it stock height, or if you want the car a little lower, without having to use lowering springs, you can set it to the position lower than stock which is about a 1/2" drop.... DA's do not have that feature.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

I would like that feature because I will be buying lowering springs. I guess I'll wait and buy some SAs later that way the warranty will be in my name.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam I'm not sure I agree with your cost analysis. A set of new DA's for the front go for about $850. If the OP can get two new DA's $375, that leaves $483 for rebuild before he breaks even. I had both of my front SA's rebuilt and the valving changed on them last winter for $290.00 and my shocks were damaged because it was alleged that I bottomed them out.

So as long as the DA's the OP is buying are not completely destroyed i.e bent, rusted thru, etc... He should come out out roughly $193.00 ahead.

Now if we were talking SA's then yes, he'd come out ahead buying new. Therefore the OP needs to decide if he want's used DA's or new SA's, and for reference, I, per Sam's advice, run SA's.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

DA's cost more to rebuild than SA's, to the tune of about $40 each on a standard rebuild. And there is still no warranty. YMMV.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point Sam. 187fl, I think you've got all the info you need to make an informed educated decision. Let us know which way you go, or if you have any other questions. Of course if you go SA, I'm sure Sam will be the first to know .
Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Dude...please its a good offer. Can you you inspect them before buying? Maybe take a friend and get an on site opinion? Good offers happen, that saying of too good to be true is good advice but sometimes good things can come your way. I got a new in box Magnaflow catback for $350...new in box!

Im not saying not to listen to any advice but be careful of the intentions behind them. For example in this post my point of view is just from a car guy to another, I dont win anything...see where am getting with this? Take your time and make a decision. It would be sad to let it go and then learn another guy took them...and in the end they were just perfect. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Setting all else aside, I'd ask what the build date of the shocks is. It is stamped on the side, see how old they are. I'd, in all honesty, prefer to run some used shocks if they are older because I know they've been worked and had oil moving to the seals (but really only a stock height car).

I'm not saying it's a "deal". The price is tremendous, but the other factors are in play too and much like I inform my customers of details, I think they are important here as well.

Sorry.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice guys, I will think this through and make a decision soon, I will ask these same questions to the seller and make my decision then.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

There is a guy selling NOS Koni DA's on ebay for $375 and $399 BIN. He also has nother set starting at $.99 NR and a $399 BIN. I am sure those are the shocks you are talking about and I have been keeping an eye on them as well. I think I would pass man, after reading about all the problems people have had with them on this site. Ex. Leaking, overkill, bottoming out, not streetable. Before you bid on them I suggest typing "Koni DA" into the search. I think I'll just hold off for some SA's
Old 10-03-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are DAs not streetable?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tudds
Why are DAs not streetable?
Leaking, bottoming out, leaking from bottoming out, hard to dial in compression, SA's are about ideal in the compression dept. Believe me if they were a great deal I would buy them, $400 for any set of Koni's is. Untill you read about all the problems with them.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with all the problems I have seen, specially around this board. A huge biased favoritism was created sometime ago around these shocks like they were created by God himself. Heck when anyone asked about what shock to get the response was almost the same...Koni. There was not anything else good apparently. No matter what you were planning to use the car for...Koni...Koni. A lot of people got them (peer pressure is quite a thing) even when they didnt need them at all. Then it started...like ShortChevy says.

I am not knocking on them, surely they are quite good...but not heavenly sent like the impression you got when you tried to do some research.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no idea they leaked a lot. I don't think I've ever bottomed out in my car. Is this a result of being very low?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tudds
I had no idea they leaked a lot. I don't think I've ever bottomed out in my car. Is this a result of being very low?
I guess it has to do with the compression adjuster. It likes to break and in not a good peice, while SA's of coarse do not have this. Also I beleive the adjuster takes some of the shock travel. Leaking can be from botteming out and also from being so old without use even though they are new. The top seal can dry out and leak. All being said I still plan to get the SA's.

Quick Reply: Koni DA?s